Hi New Here [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi New Here

roran1234
06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here and new to stereo speakers, and I am planning to buy my first decent pair with a budget of $800-$900. As of now I have tried PSB and thought they lacked much and I have tried high end Energy speakers of my Fathers which were very good and last of all I have settled upon the Paradigm Monitor 7 V.5 which I could get for $730 which sound like a very good deal to me. How are the Paradigm and what is the best I could get for $900?

Thanks,
Ollie

luvtolisten
06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Roran,
And welcome. I wish I could give you a few suggestions, but I have little exprience with speakers over $600. Many here do, and I'm sure good advice is on it's way.

bfalls
07-01-2009, 05:40 AM
The best advise I can give is to take your time and enjoy the journey. Speakers are a very personal choice. Asking for the best $900 speaker will result in many different recommendations.

It sounds like you're judging from past experiences. You know what sounded good to you before (your reference). Taking the time and listening to as many speakers as possible is the only way to let your ears make a choice. It should be fun and enjoyable. Once you've found a speaker(s) your ears like, come back and ask questions about the manufacturer's reputation, build quality, component matching, support, etc...

You've made a good start with the Paradigms and other Canadian speakers. You might try some B&Ws, Klipsch', Mission, Monitor Audio. Another you might consider is Emotiva. They're having a sale on their ERM-1 speakers @ $149/ea. They look very solid for the money. They're being discontinued since the specs are very close to the next model in the line-up.

blackraven
07-01-2009, 08:46 AM
What other equipment do you have? Also, what size room are we talking about and is this for just a 2ch set up? Take your time and go and listen to a lot of speakers and bring along the type of music you like to listen too. Use well recorded music. Check out some local high end dealers.