Bookshelf Speakers in the $200-$400 Range [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf Speakers in the $200-$400 Range

bfalls
06-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I'm in the market for a pair of stand-mounted bookshelf speakers. I plan to buy used to get the best value I can. I've been looking on ebay and have found the following:

Paradigm Titan v2 or later
Paradigm Atoms v2 or later
Paradigm Mini Monitor v2 or later

Mission 700 series
NHT Classic 3
Aurum Cantus 2 SE
Dunlavy SC1
Emotiva ERM-1

I'm open to other choices as well. I haven't heard all the Paradigms, so would appreciate recommendations on which is better for 2-channel listening. I don't really want to spend over $400, but will consider choices up to $450. I look forward to discussing your recommendations.

Hyfi
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
For a little more you may be able to get a pair of Dynaudio 42s depending on what your going to drive them with.

nightflier
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
bfalls,

Can you give us a little more info: will they be on stands, on a shelf, or on the wall? What amp will you be driving them with? Also, what type of sound do you tend to prefer?

Some other brand suggestions that may be in your price range:

Triangle
Monitor Audio
Totem
PSB
Snell
Polk (LSi Series)
KEF
Vienna

bfalls
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
I have a choice of several amps/receivers I can use, Emotiva XPA-5 (200W/ch 8ohms) or Yamaha M-65 (170W/ch 8ohms), Yamaha RX-V2095, Denon AVR-3300, Adcom 906. They'll be in a fairly large 12x25 room. They will be on Paradigm Premier stands. I listen to all types of music, but tend to stay away for acid rock. Mostly "quality" listening. I have a choice of three subwoofer systems Klipsch SW8, ACI Saturn (kit), sub portion of my bi-amped Legacy Focus.

I will probably use the Yamaha M-65, with the ACI Saturn sub driven by a Marantz M-700 mono amp. I plan to eventually get the Emotiva CD as the main source.

luvtolisten
06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
This is a good deal (Wharfedale EVO 10's):
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/4a4aa1fb000e833c2740ac100341060b/Product/View/2870&2D3

I paid $379 for them 5 months ago. I also have the Paradigm Titans V5. I like the Wharfedales better, but it's a matter of personal taste. To me, they are very close, the Paradigms being a bit more forward sounding speaker.

Some other suggestions:

Energy C200's on closeout here:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

AV123 ELT525M Mini Monitor, good reviews so far, promo sale:
http://www.av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=193&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

bfalls
07-01-2009, 05:22 AM
This is a good deal (Wharfedale EVO 10's):
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/4a4aa1fb000e833c2740ac100341060b/Product/View/2870&2D3

I paid $379 for them 5 months ago. I also have the Paradigm Titans V5. I like the Wharfedales better, but it's a matter of personal taste. To me, they are very close, the Paradigms being a bit more forward sounding speaker.

Some other suggestions:

Energy C200's on closeout here:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

AV123 ELT525M Mini Monitor, good reviews so far, promo sale:
http://www.av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=193&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37
Thanks luvtolisten. All look promising. I hadn't taken a serious look at the AV123 or the Energys before. I've always had my eye on the Wharfdales.

bfalls
07-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Emotiva has just upped the anty(sp). They are offering free shipping. I'm reading a lot of great reviews for them. I'm still wavering between them, the NHT Classic 3 (also very good reviews) and the Arum Cantus 2 (somewhat good reviews). Aside from performance, I feel the NHTs are very visually appealing and the Arums have a plain looking box, but drivers look high-tech. The Aurums auction ends this evening, so I need to make a decision. Anyone have any opinions on the Aurums or NHTs?

LeRoy
07-02-2009, 01:57 PM
To complicate matters for you, I compiled a list from What Hi Fi website.

DALI Lektor 1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i,Mordaunt-Short Avant 904i, Monitor Audio Bronze BR2, Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom, Roth Audio OLi1, Roth Audio OLi2, Q Acoustics 1010i, Q Acoustics 1020i, Kef iQ10, Epos ELS3, Paradigm Atom, Paradigm Titan, and Usher S-520.

I recently gave away my Diamond 9.1's, S-520's, and Energy Connoisseur C-1 bookshelf speaker to my newphew's. The 9.1's sounded fantastic when paired with my Denon H.T receiver but sounded awful when I hooked them up to my Rega Brio 3. The Usher's always sounded great to whatever amp I hooked them up to....T-AMP, Arcam, Denon, and Rega...and they are eye candy too. The Energy speakers, to me, are best left for HT duty as I found them to be unsatisfactory for music.

I have heard the EPOS ELS3 numerous times and have always enjoyed them. Currently they are on sale at http://www.musicdirect.com/. I have also heard the Monitor Audio BR2 and they would be my first pick if I had to do it all over again.

I helped a friend a couple of years ago with putting together a budget HT system and he liked the Paradigm Titans IV. They are okay...not bad not great....but fit the budget nicely.

Just an fyi, my audio dealer that sells both the Usher and Mordaunt-Short Avant speakers simply raves about the M.S. product. I have not heard the M.S. but considering he sells such high end gear like Reference 3A, Naim, Usher, Belles, Lector, and raves about MS over the Usher..I would have to think he could be right. Of course I want to hear them for myself but he does not stock them as he only orders them when the customer wants them.

Until then, happy shopping.

bobsticks
07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Of the brands that you've listed I like the Aurum Cantus but I highly recommend you test drive the KEFs.

LeRoy
07-02-2009, 05:04 PM
bfalls, I went window shopping for speaker deals on the net and here is what I found...

http://www.vanns.com/shop

Mirage OMNI 550 CH (Black/Cherry Wood) Package Price: $299.76/pair, free shipping

Mirage OMNISAT V2 FS SILVER (Silver) Your Price $179.88 each speaker, free shipping

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/

Mordaunt Short Premiere 302, 2-way Shielded Bookshelf Speakers, What Home Cinema? "Best Budget Speakers" Award Winner (PAIR)
Your Price $225.00

Mordaunt Short Avant 902i, 2-way Shielded Bookshelf Speakers, What Hi-Fi? Supertest Award Winner (PAIR)
Your Price $350.00

http://www.musicdirect.com/

EPOS - ELS-3 MINI MONITORS (PR) LIGHT CHERRY
Category: Music Direct Special Offers
$299.00

bfalls
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I missed out on the Aurum Cantus 2s. The auction ended with an offer of $200. His opening bid was $249, so he quit for less money. It would have been a sweet deal.

I'm not really a fan of the Mirage Omnis. I don't feel their design provides for the best imaging. I'm sure they sound fine in the right environment. I've never had an opportunity to hear the MS speakers. There isn't a rep close by. I do plan to hear the Wharfdales. They look interesting and several have recommended them. I've read many good reviews on the Epos, so I'm checking to see where I can hear them.

I have to say, after reading all the reviews on the Emotiva ERM-1s, I'm intrigued. They're usually listed for $299/ea, but are on sale for $149/ea plus free shipping. They've been compared to and have bested speakers several times their cost. After buying their XPA-5 and seeing what a great deal it is, I plan to buy a pair of the ERMs anyway, just to hear them.

LeRoy
07-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Guys, all talk in this thread and all the research got my speaker addiction going...today I placed an order for one pair of KEF IQ3, walnut finish, bookshelf speakers, $259.00/pr, with free shipping from Vanns. I could not pass up on the price! I suppose I will now going on a search for a value priced tube integrated amp and tube CD player.....

Once I put the system together and have it well broken in I will be sharing my opinions about the configuration and quality of the musical presentation.

LeRoy

Luvin Da Blues
07-03-2009, 01:32 PM
"They've been compared to and have bested speakers several times their cost."

I don't wanna rain on your parade but every speaker review I see now'days says this, is there a speaker that doesn't compare to ones that cost 2,3,4,5 times more????? :confused:

I guess it's pretty hard to sell a $400 (or what ever price) speaker today that sounds like a $400 speaker.

bobsticks
07-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Guys, all talk in this thread and all the research got my speaker addiction going...today I placed an order for one pair of KEF IQ3, walnut finish, bookshelf speakers, $259.00/pr, with free shipping from Vanns. I could not pass up on the price! I suppose I will now going on a search for a value priced tube integrated amp and tube CD player.....

Once I put the system together and have it well broken in I will be sharing my opinions about the configuration and quality of the musical presentation.

LeRoy

I look forward to reading your impressions. I have a pair of trusty KEF towers in my "rock" system. Love 'em...and wouldn't trade 'em. I got a ridiculous offer for a pair of B&W's that i turned down without a second thought.

LeRoy
07-03-2009, 05:39 PM
bobsticks, thanks for the positive vibe. I have listened to the KEF speakers before but they were always paired with mass produced electronics like Yamaha and Denon HT receivers--which made it sound bright to me. I have been told by those who know the KEF product well that the KEF really is a speaker to pair with tube systems. In your experience's with KEF, do you find the KEF to be a best match with tubes or solid state or combo of both? Thanks for your input on this.

I am pretty excited to get em in. That you turned down B&W speakers to keep the KEF is quite amazing. I have a very high regard for B&W speakers so now I am really salivating to get those KEF's in the door.

LeRoy

hifitommy
08-02-2009, 12:21 PM
about $279 per pair, excellent reviews, available matching center and sub. i would be including these in my quest.

bfalls
08-03-2009, 06:26 AM
I bought a pair of the ERM-1 to evaluate. They were far and above what I'd heard already, I decided to keep them. They only improved as they broke in. Initially they were a little forward, but started to smooth out over time. Using the contour switches made a difference, but I stayed with the default settings. Fearing the ERM-1s would go away, I decided to purchase a third for a center channel. I plan to but ERD-1 at a later date (hopefully when they're on sale).

In this price range there are many excellent speakers. I could have lived with several (PSB Alpha, Wharfdale, KEF, NHT). What finally made the decision for me to try the Emotivas were the reviews and the support I received from them. What made me keep them was the sound and attention to detail in their manufacturing.

nightflier
08-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Let me throw this out there, too:

Magnepan MMG-W

They are a bit bigger, but then you wouldn't need to put them on the bookshelves, either. I've been very impressed with them, even as front L&R stereo speakers.

bfalls
08-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I've looked at the MMG for some time now. I'd love to have a pair, but can't fit them into the room. Even with the option of mounting them on the sides of my cabinets and swinging them into place, wouldn't work since I have the entire front of the room filled. I've heard Quads, ML and Carver panels and enjoyed the sound. Maybe some day.

harley .guy07
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I have heard the Mirage speakers and I did not like them at all. I used to sell Mirage back in the mid 90's when I Managed a high end audio store and the Mirage speakers back then were very good. They were bipolar designed and had good components in them and looked good. The 590i's had great soundstaging and imaging with a smooth neutral response. Their only downfall was dynamically you could do better. The newer omnipolar designs look cool but their sound does not impress me at all. The KEF and PSB bookshelves are both impressive and the Axiom M22 v2 is a good choice as well. Axioms to me sound similar to Paradigms but are a little more transparent. In my opinion you would have to go to the studio series Paradigms to compete with the Axioms(just my opinion). Dynaudio bookshelves are very impressive sounding ass well and offer better transparency to the axioms at the cost of dynamics and low end extension.

LeRoy
08-14-2009, 03:40 PM
bobsticks, thanks for the positive vibe. I have listened to the KEF speakers before but they were always paired with mass produced electronics like Yamaha and Denon HT receivers--which made it sound bright to me. I have been told by those who know the KEF product well that the KEF really is a speaker to pair with tube systems. In your experience's with KEF, do you find the KEF to be a best match with tubes or solid state or combo of both? Thanks for your input on this.

I am pretty excited to get em in. That you turned down B&W speakers to keep the KEF is quite amazing. I have a very high regard for B&W speakers so now I am really salivating to get those KEF's in the door.

LeRoy

Well, so much for getting excited over the Kef IQ3. I just parted ways with the Kef's this week. Why? Too many quirks and a split personality. The main issue is the wave guide that surrounds the tweeter and since the tweeter is literally inset to the woofer there is contact between the wave guide and the woofer. The wave guide produces a very pronounced RATTLE when the woofer gets to working with bass rich music. I found the rattling to be unacceptable.

The Kef's, in my opinion, are two different speakers in one box. The bass response is excellent in this speaker. Bass notes are well defined and never did I hear a bloated or muddy bass line. Surprising to me was the bass from the Kef's is quite organic in presentation and even more natural/organic than the bass from my Nola Mini's. However, as organic as the bass is and enjoyable to listen to....the mid's and tweeter delivered the music in a precise way but without the natural/organic sound of speakers like the Nola Mini, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's, Sonus Faber, and similar sounding speakers.

Basically, I found the Kef's to be more like an Infinity speaker with an organic bass sound configured into the design. I happen not to like Infinity speakers and now don't care for Kef. So, I traded the Kef's for the Diamond 9.1's that I gave to my nephew a few weeks ago and that's that!

LeRoy

RoadRunner6
08-15-2009, 11:21 PM
I bought a pair of the ERM-1 to evaluate. They were far and above what I'd heard already, I decided to keep them. They only improved as they broke in. Initially they were a little forward, but started to smooth out over time. Using the contour switches made a difference, but I stayed with the default settings. Fearing the ERM-1s would go away, I decided to purchase a third for a center channel. I plan to but ERD-1 at a later date (hopefully when they're on sale).

In this price range there are many excellent speakers. I could have lived with several (PSB Alpha, Wharfdale, KEF, NHT). What finally made the decision for me to try the Emotivas were the reviews and the support I received from them. What made me keep them was the sound and attention to detail in their manufacturing.

I have put my Axiom 3ea M2i's and 2ea QS4's up for sale (excellent sound), as I now have my 3ea ERM's (LCR) and 2ea ERD-1 surrounds ($716 for all 5!...amazing price!) temporarily mounted. The left and right ERM-1's look great on my new Bello SP-300 30" stands. The center ERM-1 is mounted on the new Emo SS-6 center stand and the ERD-1's surrounds will eventually go on the wall with their included mounitng plate.

All five speakers sound fabulous, ultra clean, defined, natural and very high power handling. I am driving these 4 ohm speakers with my Emo XPA-5 amp, 300 watts RMS per ch, with all 5 channels operating into 4 ohms. I had occasionally heard complaints about the metal sound from speakers like the Axiom's with aluminum mid/woofer and titanium tweeters, I was not aware of it until I heard the comparison with the Emotiva speakers. They have a very high quality silk dome tweeter and a tri-fiber para aramid/fiberglass mid/woofer that sound oh so natural. The absence of the slightly subtle metal coloration is completely gone. I have been listening to these for hours at a time with absolutely no fatigue. The LCR speakers are all near the wall and the boundary switch really keeps the upper bass from being too prominent and remains very flat and natural sounding. The boundary switch off would create a slightly warm sound for those who prefer that.

These speakers sound nice by themselves but adding my Outlaw sub (at 80Hz) adds a great full range response whether in 2.1 or 5.1. Highly recommended for an unbelievable price.