Most "surprising" or cold blooded killing you've ever seen on flim? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Most "surprising" or cold blooded killing you've ever seen on flim?

Worf101
06-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm not talking about slasher fare, I'm talking about the one killing in a drama that surprised you in it's cold bloodedness, ruthlessness or suddeness. I've some examples.

"Kiss of Death" - When Richard Widmak's "Tommy Udo" ties up an old woman in her wheelchair and tosses her down the steps!!! Are you chittin' me? That's cold.

"Bandit Queen" - When snipers shoot the main characters lover at long range with a sniper rifle it was disturbing to me and frightening that men would murder someone at long range in that manner.

"Godfater II" - Take your pick but young Don Corleone's murder of
the local don in the hall outside his apartment was chillingly ruthless.

"Bonnie and Clyde" - The first time cinematic violence disturbed me, now only the finale but when lawmen stood around while Buck Barrow slowly bled to death while Estelle Parsons screamed for help in the background was chilling.

Well those are some that bothered/affected me over the decade, what's some of yours?

Da Worfster

Groundbeef
06-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Changeling. I'm not a huge Angelina Jolie fan, but WOW this film is awesome. Partly because I'm a "true crime" film fan, and partly because I enjoy suspense films.

There is something really chilling about this film, and it's like a train....very slow but once it gets going, there isn't any getting off until it's over.

It is a rather shocking film.

Feanor
06-30-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm not talking about slasher fare, I'm talking about the one killing in a drama that surprised you in it's cold bloodedness, ruthlessness or suddeness. I've some examples.

Well those are some that bothered/affected me over the decade, what's some of yours?

Da Worfster

I could give it more though but what comes first to mind are some of the deeds of the psychopathic criminal, Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem), in No Country for Old Men.

Worf101
06-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Changeling. I'm not a huge Angelina Jolie fan, but WOW this film is awesome. Partly because I'm a "true crime" film fan, and partly because I enjoy suspense films.

There is something really chilling about this film, and it's like a train....very slow but once it gets going, there isn't any getting off until it's over.

It is a rather shocking film.
You're the second person to tell me that this movie was/is pretty rugged. Thanks, might have to rent this one. Didn't last but a hot minute in the theatres though.

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
06-30-2009, 07:37 AM
One of the most horriffic scenes that has stuck with me was in the movie, The Comfort of Strangers, which starred Rupert Everett, Natasha Richardson, Helen Mirren and Christopher Walken. Won't give anything away here; just truly chilling, beguiling stuff....

Groundbeef
06-30-2009, 09:22 AM
You're the second person to tell me that this movie was/is pretty rugged. Thanks, might have to rent this one. Didn't last but a hot minute in the theatres though.

Da Worfster

It's shocking on so many levels. I won't tell you more, but would urge you to rent it. It's one hell of a ride.

kexodusc
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Deep Blue Sea - when Samuel L. Jackson was giving the screaming motivational speech to rally the survivors...then GULP! Eaten by a genius shark.

Auricauricle
06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Okay...Scratch that one...

nightflier
06-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Deep Blue Sea. I was going to post that but Kex beat me to it. You just don't expect Samuel Jackson to buy it like that, in any film, for that matter.

Not a single murder, but I just watched A History of Violence last weekend and that has some shockingly violent killing (as if the title didn't warn me).

Another one that still haunts me, two actually, are the poor saps who are being tortured to death at the hands of Pasquale Acosta (underrated actor Nestor Carbonell from Lost) in the opening scenes of Smoking Aces - not particularly graphic by Hostel-Tarantino standards, but the kind of scene in an abandoned warehouse that just makes your stomach churn if you think about it too long.

This one also sticks with me: the chainsaw scene in Scarface. That one definitely left a mark in more ways than one....

Auricauricle
06-30-2009, 12:33 PM
And for that reason, I shall not see Scarface even now.

I still shiver over that scene in Robocop, when Murphy...um...you know....

3LB
07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Brian DePalma's rippoff's of Alfred Hitchcock's movies North By Northwest, Vertigo and Rear Window - Body Double, Blow Out and Dressed to Kill - all featured surprising and particularly viscious murder scenes.

Of course Hitchcock's Psycho started it all.

Kam
07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
when Steven Seagal got sucked out the airlock in Executive Decision, i was extremely happily surprised!

and in Children of Men, that car interior scene. Wow. Just a beautiful blend of technical, storytelling, acting, cgi, everything in one.

I guess given the title of this thread it's assumed all posts would be "spoiler" posts.

oh and 6th Sense, that suprised me at the end.

and Braveheart, for cold blooded, when he cuts the magistrate's neck for killing murren. wow. that was cold blooded and a half.

Auricauricle
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Steven Seagull....Gawd, gawd, gawd....! Why dint I become an actor? I could been somebody...coulda been a contenda....

thekid
07-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Several of the killings at the end of "The Departed" because of their suddiness. Also while I would not neccessarily call it a killing, but the little girl offing herself in "Pan's Labyrinth"

Kam
07-02-2009, 04:26 AM
Several of the killings at the end of "The Departed" because of their suddiness. Also while I would not neccessarily call it a killing, but the little girl offing herself in "Pan's Labyrinth"

i thought the dad shot her, as she protected her younger brother?

L.J.
07-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Deep Blue Sea....yeah that was pretty funny.

Seven came to mind for me....what's in the box.

nightflier
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Deep Blue Sea....yeah that was pretty funny.

Seven came to mind for me....what's in the box.

I always thought it was the unborn baby, but it could have been the head of Mill's wife, which would have the same result. John Doe was pretty sick and twisted, though....

bobsticks
07-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Deep Blue Sea - when Samuel L. Jackson was giving the screaming motivational speech to rally the survivors...then GULP! Eaten by a genius shark.

That was the first thing i thought of...and the curb scene in American History X was pretty brutal...and for whatever reason that face-in-the-closet scene in The Ring gave me the heebeegeebies too

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LBtHBWs0__g&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LBtHBWs0__g&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Woochifer
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Glad someone mentioned Robocop. That was probably my first exposure to Euro-style ultra violence. The first killing when the prototype robot malfunctioned was shocking in how graphic it was. And the aforementioned gang killing of Officer Murphy was also disturbing in its all-out brutality and cruelty.

Another surprising killing was assassin Chow Yun-Fat's demise in The Killer (which had some of the most incredible gunfights ever filmed). It was no surprise that his character would die -- he predicted his own demise when he went into that firefight alongside the Danny Lee character.

It was shocking because he died by getting his eyes shot out, which basically snuffed out his self-proclaimed path to redemption (upon his death he was going to donate his corneas to the woman that he accidentally blinded in the movie's first scene). A tragic death because with all the suffering in his last moments, he now knew that his death would be an empty death, devoid of redemption or purpose.

God of Gambler's Return, another Chow Yun-Fat movie, also had a shocking death scene with his character's wife and unborn child. The deaths occurred off-screen so that wasn't shocking. But, what Chow found when he returned home was a wife's dead body on the floor (again, not shocking) AND his unborn child's body in a jar on the kitchen table (very shocking!). And this movie was actually an action-COMEDY! This kind of transposing of comedy and violence is shocking to western viewers, but not unusual in Hong Kong pics, and director Wong Jing's work in particular,

thekid
07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
i thought the dad shot her, as she protected her younger brother?

You are right I mis-remembered.......... :)
Still was a shocker for something they advertised somewhat as a kid's movie.

s dog
07-03-2009, 01:21 PM
The lady getting hit by the bus in Final Destination, Never going to forget that one.

Troy
07-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Death by pig has always affected me for some reason. Hannibal and Snatch come to mind. And Wu's pigs in Deadwood always ate pretty well too.

Yes, the car scene in Children of Men was a real shocker. Samuel Jackson's end in Hard 8 was too. I was surprised by Jackson's offing of Chris Tucker in Jackie Brown too, but it wasn't that graphic (Nice use of Brothers Johnson tho).

The nasty home invasion scene in Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Brad Pitt in Burn After Reading. Didn't see that one coming . . .

I didn't enjoy the Changeling. Relentlessly unpleasant. Plus I saw right thru all the cgi. Lips's performance simply wasn't that good. So much of that movie felt fake and forced. A weak effort from Eastwood.

Groundbeef
07-04-2009, 04:41 AM
I didn't enjoy the Changeling. Relentlessly unpleasant. Plus I saw right thru all the cgi. Lips's performance simply wasn't that good. So much of that movie felt fake and forced. A weak effort from Eastwood.

I don't think Changeling was supposed to be pleasant. And I'm not sure about the cgi bit. Didn't seem to be much in it, seeing as the movie was set during the depression.

Sorry you didn't like it.

RGA
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Most surprising

Pulp Fiction - the scene in the car where Travolta's gun accidentally goes off and blows the guys head off. Didn't see it coming. The Audience roared with laughter. Interesting defense mechanism and Tarantino really had his way with movie goers in that movie. The needle in the heart of Uma later was quite excellent too.

Most disturbing for me was the female architect in Schindler's List being thrown to her knees and shot in the head. It was the most "realistic" and cold blooded shooting I have seen on film.

"In the Bedroom" has a surprise (that the stupid critics gave away) but that was a shocker - I am so glad I try to avoid any and all previews - try it sometime - when you have absolutely no idea what the movie is about your enjoyment level can go up 3 fold.

I am biased - I felt In the Bedroom was the best film of 2001 - by a lot.