1400x240@69hz [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 1400x240@69hz

pixelthis
06-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Figure that one out!
I run my cablebox at 480i, thats because if the input is SD my aspect ratio has more choices, with 480p you get wide and zoom.
With 480i you get wide, zoom, "normal" (4x3) and panoramic.
But lately I have noticed that I only get wide and zoom anyway.
So I check the input resolution and its 1400X240@69HZ!!!
???????
This has been going on since the big "changeover" to HD.
Some comp monitors run at 1400x900, but 1400x240?
Its a random thing, I try to go 4:3 and zap! Nothing but wide and zoom.
Check the res and its this weird computer wideo crap.
Anybody else have this experience?:1:

elapsed
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Good job pix, playing 4:3 SD content on your 16:9 HDTV makes perfect sense.. all kidding aside, are you using RCA, S-Video, Component, DVI or HDMI to connect the cable box to your Vizio? This may be a perfect excuse to upgrade to an HD box in any event

cheers,
elapsed

pixelthis
06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Good job pix, playing 4:3 SD content on your 16:9 HDTV makes perfect sense.. all kidding aside, are you using RCA, S-Video, Component, DVI or HDMI to connect the cable box to your Vizio? This may be a perfect excuse to upgrade to an HD box in any event

cheers,
elapsed

It is an HD box, a HD DVR, as a matter of fact, hooked up with HDMI.
like I said, I run my 480 setting 480i instead of 480p so my set handles the deinterlace,
so I can watch 4:3 content in the original format.
But more and more when I TUNE INTO A SD channel I get this weird computer
format, probably some form of compression.
Whatever it is its only 240 lines, gonna set the "default" back to 480p and see what happens.:1:

zepman1
07-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Most likely what happened is you have a bunch of stuck pixels on that LCD, and 1400x240 is all the resolution that you have left. And look at the bright side, 69 hz i faster than most LCD refresh rates anyhow, so maybe watching fast action scenes will be more tolerable now.

N. Abstentia
07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Most likely what happened is you have a bunch of stuck pixels on that LCD, and 1400x240 is all the resolution that you have left. And look at the bright side, 69 hz i faster than most LCD refresh rates anyhow, so maybe watching fast action scenes will be more tolerable now.

At least he can watch TV with the lights on. Not possible with Plasma....if they are still making them.

zepman1
07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Good point. Normally I have to set my AVR display to "nighttime" so it is dark enough that I can see where my plasma is. Otherwise it is so dim I can't even figure out where it is.

N. Abstentia
07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to find your plasma, just look for the mirror-like surface that's reflecting all sources of light within 2 miles.

pixelthis
07-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Good point. Normally I have to set my AVR display to "nighttime" so it is dark enough that I can see where my plasma is. Otherwise it is so dim I can't even figure out where it is.

Is that enough to find it?
Or do you need one of those GPS thingies?:1:

pixelthis
07-01-2009, 08:57 PM
At least he can watch TV with the lights on. Not possible with Plasma....if they are still making them.

Are they still making those?:1:

zepman1
07-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Shouldn't be too hard to find your plasma, just look for the mirror-like surface that's reflecting all sources of light within 2 miles.

Well, I have to wear sunglasses to tame those wicked reflections, and that makes it REALLY hard to see that dim plasma picture. My plasma has a braille option, so you can just feel what the picture looks like in case you can't see it. Haven't seen LCD do anything for the blind yet...

N. Abstentia
07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
PLUS due to plasma burn in, you can keep watching your TV for hours after you have turned it off!

pixelthis
07-03-2009, 08:31 PM
PLUS due to plasma burn in, you can keep watching your TV for hours after you have turned it off!

Finally, something good about plasma.
And since its turned off maybe that will help even out the massive energy usage
when its on.
HEAR that splashing sound?
Thats all of the "proud" new plasma owners jumping into the ocean when they get
their first glimpse of an LED backlit LCD, and they realize just how much money they have wasted for a technological Edsel.:1:

recoveryone
07-04-2009, 08:13 PM
What happen on this forum???? I see this kind of haterade on other sites, but I thought we were above such BS here. This thread started with a simple question about possible broadcasting changes/ratio/format, and it quickly turn into the bash the plasma/LCD thread again. Let it go boys, you have your view and they have theirs.

Now with that said, I too have notice a change of format since the digital change over. On my non HD channels the screen is cropped to 4:3 with black bars on the sides. Before the non HD channels were stretched to fill the screen. Even shows that are played on HD channels that were not made in HD are reduce to 4:3 now.

I wish I could compare sets, but the Mits died about 2 weeks ago, so all I have with the HD boxes is my 32" Vizio, connected via HDMI.

pixelthis
07-04-2009, 08:29 PM
What happen on this forum???? I see this kind of haterade on other sites, but I thought we were above such BS here. This thread started with a simple question about possible broadcasting changes/ratio/format, and it quickly turn into the bash the plasma/LCD thread again. Let it go boys, you have your view and they have theirs.

Now with that said, I too have notice a change of format since the digital change over. On my non HD channels the screen is cropped to 4:3 with black bars on the sides. Before the non HD channels were stretched to fill the screen. Even shows that are played on HD channels that were not made in HD are reduce to 4:3 now.

I wish I could compare sets, but the Mits died about 2 weeks ago, so all I have with the HD boxes is my 32" Vizio, connected via HDMI.

This is because on your set 480i material is scaled to the native resolution,
and you can use panoramic, normal(letterboxed on the sides) wide (for HD,
Streches 4:3) and zoom.
This is why your picture is 4:3 (square), your set is in "normal" and your cablebox is
set to 480i.
Choose panoramic if you dont like the bars, or change your cablebox to 480p
as the SD default.
AND I guess if you are dumb enough to buy a plasma you are too dumb to stay on topic:1:

recoveryone
07-05-2009, 07:27 AM
This is because on your set 480i material is scaled to the native resolution,
and you can use panoramic, normal(letterboxed on the sides) wide (for HD,
Streches 4:3) and zoom.
This is why your picture is 4:3 (square), your set is in "normal" and your cablebox is
set to 480i.
Choose panoramic if you dont like the bars, or change your cablebox to 480p
as the SD default.
AND I guess if you are dumb enough to buy a plasma you are too dumb to stay on topic:1:

Sorry partner, I check my HD Box settings and it is set to 1080I for the HDMI connection along with 16:9 screen setting/wide, so not sure on what why the format change, or could it be that the digital signal keeps it native no matter what your settings are :eek6:

pixelthis
07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Sorry partner, I check my HD Box settings and it is set to 1080I for the HDMI connection along with 16:9 screen setting/wide, so not sure on what why the format change, or could it be that the digital signal keeps it native no matter what your settings are :eek6:

Yours must be different from mine, mine has a "4:3" default option.
You can choose 480i, 480p, or nothing, in which case it goes to whatever you have your box set to.
Set it to 480i and your TV will do the scaling, making more aspect modes available.
Also the scaler in your TV is probably better than the one in your cablebox, Vizio
uses DIVO/FAROUJIA(one bought the other) which is a very good scaler.
Unless your cable company starts broadcasting SD in a weird progressive format
like 1400x240@69hz.
My set will handle that, like all modern sets its basically a computer monitor, but you only get wide and zoom with a progressive format.:1: