Rave Recording - Matthew Sweet's "Kimi Ga Suki" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rave Recording - Matthew Sweet's "Kimi Ga Suki"

PPG
11-23-2003, 05:56 AM
This album was only released in Japan (I assume it's available here @ import prices?) but I got a copy of this and was quite surprised at how good it is. The past 3 or so albums by Sweet sorta sounded all the same to me but with this new one, written and recorded with Sweet placing a tighter time limit on it's writing and production finds him sounding fresh again. The best albums for me have always been the ones with songs that throw a curve melody at you when you are least expecting it - this one falls into that category. All Music Guide gives it four stars and that's an accurate rating. If you can find it anywhere, pick it up. It'll be on my Top 10 list of the year.

PPG
11-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Man, this place sucks more than ever. The forum is called <b>Rave Recordings</b> and so I post a review of a new album I'm excited about and get NO friggin' responses, no appreciation shown by anyone whatsoever for posting this Matthew Sweet review. Screw it, I'm through for good - PPG is outta here. Find your own G.D. powerpop and "enjoy" this new Vbulletin format - it's B.S. and loads way too slow - it's utterly friggin' ridiculous. Rave Recs is dead, such a shame. And I've about looked at that ugly-ass beatch in the Best Buy ad all I can take.

Swish
11-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Man, this place sucks more than ever. The forum is called <b>Rave Recordings</b> and so I post a review of a new album I'm excited about and get NO friggin' responses, no appreciation shown by anyone whatsoever for posting this Matthew Sweet review. Screw it, I'm through for good - PPG is outta here. Find your own G.D. powerpop and "enjoy" this new Vbulletin format - it's B.S. and loads way too slow - it's utterly friggin' ridiculous. Rave Recs is dead, such a shame. And I've about looked at that ugly-ass beatch in the Best Buy ad all I can take.

I've had plenty of my posts ignored, and while it doesn't thrill me, I take it in stride since my 'thoughts' on music aren't the most, how can I say it, desciptive/enlightening/interesting? I'm a fairly intelligent guy, but I really don't have a lot of expressive writing skills when it comes to describing the music I listen to. Some of these guys write as well, or better, than many of the magazine reviewers. I also see that 38 people read your post so far, and you'll probably have some more tonight. I guess there aren't many MS fans here, although I was at one time (Girlfriend is a classic), and I'm going to buy this record based on your comments, so it was worth something. I decided I was going to buy it before your nasty comments about RR, so this isn't a pity purchase. Also, you need to use the square brackets "[ and ]" to do your html things, not the < & > like on the old board.

Regards,
Swishy

Dusty Chalk
11-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Dude, just because we don't got nothing to say, doesn't mean we don't care. Some of us may have put it on our wish lists. (Some of us may not've, but that's up to us, now, innit?) This isn't classicrockforums.com, where every single funny post must be followed by ten million "rotfl" icons and 5 million "pound" icons. We're more the "strong silent type".

Besides, you said yourself, it was hard to find.

Then again, as someone else said, we're clique-ish, remember? And it's true, we are. I'm not sure why I'm even talking to you.

I, for example, am the entirety of my own clique.

I'm also a team of monkeys.

Troy
11-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Uh yeah, what they said.

Just because I didn't respond doesn't mean that I didn't read it AND add it to my search list.

PPG
11-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Okay, sorry for the rant guys - had a little too much Evan Williams bourbon yesterday when I posted that! (I was off yesterday) and blew my cyberspace top. So, the Rave Recs jury will please strike my previous comments - I'd still like to contribute, FWIW. Thanks for the responses Davey, Swish, & Dusty Chalk. I'll still have some future reviews & comps to share, although the comps will be slower in coming as I'm taking time to collect some good stuff. Next personal comp I offer up will be either new stuff or "new to me/you" stuff - tracks from CD's like the Sweet disc, and Rockfour. So, look for it after the holidays, Jan, Feb.

A sober & embarrassed PwrPopGuy

Dusty Chalk
11-25-2003, 09:08 AM
No worries, mate!

I remain,
the king of top-blowing

Davey.
11-25-2003, 03:04 PM
And I've about looked at that ugly-ass batch in the Best Buy ad all I can take.
Anyone besides me notice a striking similarity between the BestBuyGuy and the PwrPopGuy?

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/bestbuyguy.gif http://members.mailaka.net/davey/pwrpopguy.gif

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

Davey.
11-25-2003, 04:15 PM
And I've about looked at that ugly-ass beatch in the Best Buy ad all I can take.
BTW, I don't wanna post it here but if you pm me or email me I'll send you a link for software to block ads. Or do a google and look for something with ad and shield in the name. Just between you and me, I generally add them to my block list when they start to get obnoxious and it works well. Runs in the background. You just right click on the ad and then add it to your block list. Gets rid of your Best Buy buddies :)