10" Sub is inherently more musical than 12"!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10" Sub is inherently more musical than 12"!!!!

koop
03-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Is this statement true? I am going to build by own sub for the fun and still can't settle on a driver size. I want it to be more musical than HT. I am using the Titanic kits from Parts Express as guidlines. Max. cabinet size cannot exceed 16" W x 16" T x 29" D.
Should the driver size match on a future second sub match the first? Is there any disadvantage to even more than two subs?

WmAx
03-21-2004, 06:21 PM
[Is this statement trueNo.

Should the driver size match on a future second sub match the first?Yes. Actually, you need to match the same size, model, brand and enclosure type/size when adding additional subwoofers.

Is there any disadvantage to even more than two subs?
No. Actually, two are better than one, since it is beneficial to place one by each main channel to better integrate the main---->subwoofer crossover band. This does depend on the specific frequency you crossover(lower, the farther from the main speakers is feasible).

-Chris

bmw-k
03-22-2004, 09:47 AM
However, it should be noted that ACCOUSTIC SUSPENSION subs tend to be a bit more musical than PORTED subs. Ported subs on the other hand tend to be able to reach a bit deeper, with less power.

Personally, I have a PSB Subsonic 7i, 15" 330watt Accoustic Suspension sub. VERY musical, and the truth is, I don't even have it turned up much at all.

Geoffcin
03-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Is this statement true? I am going to build by own sub for the fun and still can't settle on a driver size. I want it to be more musical than HT. I am using the Titanic kits from Parts Express as guidlines. Max. cabinet size cannot exceed 16" W x 16" T x 29" D.
Should the driver size match on a future second sub match the first? Is there any disadvantage to even more than two subs?

No, musicality has nothing to do with woofer size. A smaller woofer will limit the maximum response though. A well made 10" sub should reach down to the 20's, and up to a decent volume so there's shouldn't be a problem is you choose the 10".

There's no requirement to match subs, but if your using a sub-out on your receiver you will only have the one crossover choice.

I can't see any disadvantage to more than two subs, but you'd have to have a very large room to need it.

03-22-2004, 08:54 PM
I think people usually take steps in 2s when they are getting more subs.
maybe 2 one side and 2 more on the other?
Most people dont need more than 2 though.