DVD-A / CD player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD-A / CD player

rob_a
06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Just looking for some opinions, I am in the market for a new DVD player and was looking for one that will act more for audio then video. Here are a few options I have been looking at in the $500 price range. The Rotel RDV-1093, Pioneer Elite DV-58av and the Adcom GDV-870. I was wondering what your opinions were or some pros and cons you might know of on these mid-fi players or other systems you might like. Thanks for your time.

LeRoy
06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Rob,

Earlier this year I purchased a Marantz Universal Player from www.musicdirect.com. The unit is still on sale, MARANTZ - DV 6001 UNIVERSAL PLAYER, $249.00, and it's new. They also list a demo unit for the same model for only $199.00. The DV6001 is a closeout sale on the site just so that you know where to find it quick. The player is also an SACD/DVD-A player.

About the unit. You have to select a default option for playback. In the menu, if you elect the SACD/DVD-A option the software will only play SACD, CD, and DVD-A. If you pop in a movie to watch the player will not see it. If you want to play a movie then you have to go into the menu and elect the CD/DVD option and the software will not see a SACD or DVD-A disk. So you will have to flip selections depending on what you want to play.

Tonally, the player is warm/dark. BASS is quite emphasized with this player and I've had to dial down the subwoofer for both music and movies. I find the mids generally acceptable for music and for movies voices are clear and distinct. Highs for music could be better as the detail is/was better on the Yamaha unit (forgot the model#) that was replaced. Highs for movies for special effects are great..so..I don't know why the difference.

Oh, and the pace of the Marantz for music is slower than say what the Yamaha was and took some getting used to. Basically, I only use this player for movies as I only play music on it about every 2 or 3 months. I've never had an interest in SACD or DVD-A so my music spinning is always with redbook cd only.

I currently am using the Marantz player with an Arcam AVR 200, Mirage Nanosat 5.0 speakers, and RBH 10" sub, 300 watts.

Hope this helps.

LeRoy

markw
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.6ave.com/shop/SearchResults.aspx?kwd=denon 1940

rob_a
06-26-2009, 06:42 AM
I have decided to go with the Adcom GDV-870, since CD and DVD-A are the primary formats I listen to, I thought this would be the best choice. I will post a review on this player in a week or so if anyone is interested :) I will be running it through a Marantz sr7001 receiver with PSB image T65 speakers.

Thanks for your guys replys.

nightflier
06-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I would be interested in reading that review.

PDN
07-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Hey LeRoy:

I have the Marantz DV-6001 and am using it primarily for playing SACD hybrid multi-channel audio CDs. (I have another Marantz DVD player for video). You have to use 3 prs of ICs into a receiver or pre/pro to get it to play in multi-channel so that can get a bit costly. However, don't shut out the superior sound of SACDs. In a word, FABULOUS. The music is so open and for lack of a better way to describe it, almost 3 dimensional. The details you hear and the information is fantastic. The mid-range and vocals are so well balanced. When I go back to playing a standard CD, it becomes somewhat disappointing of course depending on how well it was recorded. So, take advantage of the great player you have.

rob_a
07-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I have decided to go with the Adcom GDV-870, since CD and DVD-A are the primary formats I listen to, I thought this would be the best choice. I will post a review on this player in a week or so if anyone is interested :) I will be running it through a Marantz sr7001 receiver with PSB image T65 speakers.

Thanks for your guys replys.

Adcom GDV-870 review by Rob A
Playback: CD,HDCD,CD-R,MP3,DVD-Audio (and other formats, but who cares)
Retails for : $400 - $500

I am going to try and break this review down in to separate parts since this player has some good and some not so good qualities to it. This is just a general review, so there might be some detail I will leave out. If you are wondering about this player I hope this helps. If you any questions, please ask them.

Build quality: I give it a 4 out 5. It has a Solid chase, weighing about 15 pounds. Aluminum front face plate, very nice looking, steel frame body and decent rubber feet to sit on. The buttons are plastic along with the Disk loader (which is fine nothing different from any other player in this price level.) The remote looses the 5 out of 5 though, hard to use, and very cheaply made.

Use ability: I give it 3 out of 5. It is not a difficult machine to set up, pretty straight forward. CD’s are simple to play, just put them in and the on scream menu will pop up and the track will begin. HDCD’s will automatically be decoded also. When playing DVD’s, the player has to be manually set to play DVD-V or DVD-A, it will no auto switch. Also, some setting may be hard to find and option are limited.

Sound: I give it 4 out of 5. It does a very nice job of audio playback. CD and DVD audio are reproduced very natural sounding and clear. Detail is good, not as good as more expensive players but better than most players in this range. I was able to playback accurately a wide verity of different types music.

Video: I give it 2 out 5: This section will be short, the picture quality sucks!!!! It has a very grainy and digital looking picture. A $50 target DVD player probably has a better picture then this player.

Overall I would have a hard time recommending this player to anyone. I would say if you’re only looking for an audio player and you can find this player discounted, then you might pick it as an option but other than that I would opt against it.

LeRoy
07-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Rob_a, thanks for the feedback/review of the Adcom. PDN, thanks for the encouraging words about the Marantz player. I have to admit some intimidation factor with regard to SACD/DVD A. I would not have a clue on how to connect that stuff up to my old Arcam AVR. Nevertheless, I think once I upgrade the Arcam I will have to try some of the SACD music on the player.

Cheers :)

frahengeo
08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Rob_a, thanks for the feedback/review of the Adcom. PDN, thanks for the encouraging words about the Marantz player. I have to admit some intimidation factor with regard to SACD/DVD A. I would not have a clue on how to connect that stuff up to my old Arcam AVR. Nevertheless, I think once I upgrade the Arcam I will have to try some of the SACD music on the player.

Cheers :)

Hi Rob,

If you can spring another $500.00, the Denon DVD-5910CI may be an option to consider. If you are interested in 1080P, but hesitant to go blu-ray just yet, then this unit does upconverting to 1080P about as good as the best out there with its Realta chip. For audio, it uses one of the best DACs (Burr-Brown 1792). It will play SACD, DVD-A, etc. except for blu-ray.

At $1,000, it is an absolute steal (originally $3,800). Check Amazon soon. This will not last very long.

Good Luck

Jack in Wilmington
08-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey Rob,
Could you take a moment and tell us how you have the unit connected to your receiver or preamp. What type of connections did you use (HDMI, etc) . It's odd that your video is so poor. I have the Denon 1940 that Mark mentioned and the picture is very good. I sometimes use it over my BluRay player just to give it a spin, so to speak.

rob_a
08-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Rob,

If you can spring another $500.00, the Denon DVD-5910CI may be an option to consider. If you are interested in 1080P, but hesitant to go blu-ray just yet, then this unit does upconverting to 1080P about as good as the best out there with its Realta chip. For audio, it uses one of the best DACs (Burr-Brown 1792). It will play SACD, DVD-A, etc. except for blu-ray.

At $1,000, it is an absolute steal (originally $3,800). Check Amazon soon. This will not last very long.

Good Luck

I have heard the Denon is a very nice sounding player, but it was my mission to find a good CD player for under $500. The Adcom is a very nice and neutral sounding player, worth the price I paid. I was not really looking for a DVD player to play movies on, so thats was not a factor for me (but for someone else it could.) Thanks for the seggestion.

rob_a
08-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey Rob,
Could you take a moment and tell us how you have the unit connected to your receiver or preamp. What type of connections did you use (HDMI, etc) . It's odd that your video is so poor. I have the Denon 1940 that Mark mentioned and the picture is very good. I sometimes use it over my BluRay player just to give it a spin, so to speak.

Sure, I have it hooked up throught the HDMI port useing a High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated Cable (24AWG) 6ft (Gold Plated Connectors) I use this same cable on my Blue ray player, my HD sat. cable box and from my receiver to my TV. and the picture and sound is great through all of them.
I have no probolem with audio running through the HDMI it sounds fine, just the picture is junk on this player. I also used the same cable on my old DVD player, a Yamaha s1700 and the picture on that player was hands down better, so I think their upconversion is not all that good.

I also use the mult. ch. output and use monoprice heavy duty RCA's and the audio is just fine coming through them.

Jack in Wilmington
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Sure, I have it hooked up throught the HDMI port useing a High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified CL2 Rated Cable (24AWG) 6ft (Gold Plated Connectors) I use this same cable on my Blue ray player, my HD sat. cable box and from my receiver to my TV. and the picture and sound is great through all of them.
I have no probolem with audio running through the HDMI it sounds fine, just the picture is junk on this player. I also used the same cable on my old DVD player, a Yamaha s1700 and the picture on that player was hands down better, so I think their upconversion is not all that good.

I also use the mult. ch. output and use monoprice heavy duty RCA's and the audio is just fine coming through them.

That's what I use my player for primarily. Love the SACD and DVD-A sound.