My sub went out [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My sub went out

Mr Peabody
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
My Velodyne SPL-1200 isn't putting out sound. The light shows it's on and the input signal triggered it but no sound. I think I know when it happened, I was on the computer one day and nothing else was on I heard this loud sound from my sub, kind of a sweeping tone. It scared me. I wondered what could have caused that since nothing was on, I suspect now a power surge. Yeah, the only piece not plugged into a protecter. I didn't really notice it out until tonight I dropped in a new Blu-ray concert video of Mariah Carey and I'm thinking this has to have more bass than this. Tried a couple channels on the satelite just to make sure and no sub from anything.

Now i wonder if this is worth getting fixed or look to replace. The thing isn't cheap but it's an older one before they started offering the EQ. I think I'll check with the service department at the store where I bought to see if any fuses or reset on it and get an estimate. I guess a couple hundred would be better than several hundreds.... more than a grand.

Worf101
06-24-2009, 03:45 AM
I'd look into repair. Could be a "simple" fix. You could always get an estimate. If it's moren' half the cost of a new one then go new. My old HSU subs are still going strong and I'd hate to think of having to replace either of them but as Pix would say "things have to change".

Da Worfster

Mr Peabody
06-24-2009, 04:49 AM
I thought about checking into HSU or SVS if I ever had to buy another sub. The Velodyne was very good though for HT, it plays low and really let you feel when it was engaged while not intruding on other higher bass frequencies.

Auricauricle
06-24-2009, 06:13 AM
That's pretty spooky, Mr. P! I'd have a local shop take a look at it; that comment about a "sweeping tone" bothers me. Like Worf says, it could be nothing...but it might be something and if you can save a buck or two why not. In the meantime, you might wanna look at your surge protector/ power coditioner as well as your other components to make sure nothing else was fried....

Kevio
06-24-2009, 08:38 AM
Sounds like the power amp is a goner. If you can buy a replacement electronics module, you may be able to swap that out yourself. Make sure to test the speaker first if you chose to go that route - a blown power amp can sometimes take out the speaker too. If both are damaged, you'll definitely want to ****can the whole thing.

kexodusc
06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Ditto on the plate amp thoughts. I've gone through a few in my day - sometimes it's as simple as replacing a resistor or capacitor - the diagnostic costs more than the repair.
Sometimes a new plate amp costs less than the shop though.

Mr Peabody
06-25-2009, 07:37 PM
I called the place I bought this sub and they have a service department, it will cost me $30.00 to have it diagnosed. I thought that was pretty cheap so I will take the ole 1200 to the doctor Saturday. The tech said he guessed it was the amp module as well.

bfalls
06-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Saw an auction on ebay for what appears to be a:

Velodyne SPL Series II 1000 watt rms subwoofer plate amp ending in for days currently $19.50. I say appears, because there's a streak of light partially blocking the label in the picture. Check it out to see if it's what you need.

http://cgi.ebay.com/velodyne-1000-watt-rms-subwoofer-plate-amp_W0QQitemZ150354250586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2301cfcb5a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A4|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1| 293%3A1|294%3A200

Mr Peabody
06-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks, bfalls