Newbi could use an opinion on reciever purchase [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbi could use an opinion on reciever purchase

kpzbee
03-21-2004, 05:12 PM
First off I'd like to say what a great forum this is!! I've been lurking for awhile here catching up on the A/V world. It sure has changed a bit since I bought my system 8 years ago. I've decided to replave my trusty Yami RXV 690 with a new one, to "hear" what I've been missing out on.
Here's my problem. I've been on J&R's site (a link from here) doing some comparing & I'm more confused now than before.
My first choice was an HTR-5590. Pretty nice for the money I thought. Plus J&R is cheaper than Best Buy! As I got looking more, I found the RX-V650 and the HTR-5760. I set a limit for $500 for this purchase which all of these units fit into.
A post on here several pages back, talks about the YAPO system & how great it is. Checking out Yamaha's site & reading up on it, I see why it's recomended. That leaves out the HTR-5590. What I'm wondering is, what is the big difference between the RX-V650 & the HTR-5760? The 5760 shows that it has Cinema DSP & the V650 don't? Is this a big deal? I use that on mine all the time. If I understand this correctly, both of these units have no tuner in them? I'm not sure that's a big deal to me since I rarely use the one I have now. (poor reception)
I guess I'm trying to get the biggest bang for the buck & all 3 of these seem to have their pros & cons. What is your opinion? Hope you can help me make a decision.
Thanks a bunch.
Keith

mufj
03-21-2004, 07:19 PM
First off I'd like to say what a great forum this is!! I've been lurking for awhile here catching up on the A/V world. It sure has changed a bit since I bought my system 8 years ago. I've decided to replave my trusty Yami RXV 690 with a new one, to "hear" what I've been missing out on.
Here's my problem. I've been on J&R's site (a link from here) doing some comparing & I'm more confused now than before.
My first choice was an HTR-5590. Pretty nice for the money I thought. Plus J&R is cheaper than Best Buy! As I got looking more, I found the RX-V650 and the HTR-5760. I set a limit for $500 for this purchase which all of these units fit into.
A post on here several pages back, talks about the YAPO system & how great it is. Checking out Yamaha's site & reading up on it, I see why it's recomended. That leaves out the HTR-5590. What I'm wondering is, what is the big difference between the RX-V650 & the HTR-5760? The 5760 shows that it has Cinema DSP & the V650 don't? Is this a big deal? I use that on mine all the time. If I understand this correctly, both of these units have no tuner in them? I'm not sure that's a big deal to me since I rarely use the one I have now. (poor reception)
I guess I'm trying to get the biggest bang for the buck & all 3 of these seem to have their pros & cons. What is your opinion? Hope you can help me make a decision.
Thanks a bunch.
Keith

If you check out the FAQ section of Yamahas website you will find that the difference between the RXV and HTR line of recivers are on some cosmetic, The type of stores that sell them and how they are tested. The features and construction are the same. Specifically the htr 5760 and the RXV650 should be the same. If you go to Yamaha.com and look under audio yopu should find the FAQ. Sorry I do not have the link. Maybe someone else wiil give it to you.

kexodusc
03-22-2004, 05:22 AM
You have to be careful when buying the HTR line. Some of the models do not come with Pre-Outs. This is insignificant if you don't plan on hooking up an external amplifier, but if you ever decide to in the future, it could be a problem. For example, the RX-V1300 and HTR-5590 are identical with the exception of the pre-outs on the RX-V1300 that the 5590 doesn't have.

However, I've looked at pics of the back of both the RX-V650 and the HTR-5760, and both have the pre-outs (at least in the pictures), so in this particular case, the units are the same from what I can see. The HTR-5750 doesn't have pre-outs (and is an ugly silver colour).

Our local retailer actually has two receivers open on a table for comparison to answer customers concerns, I forget the model, but the units are the same on the inside. The model number convention is related to the retailer distribution channels, a practice that is very common in manufacturing.
Be sure to check out the warranties offered though. I've seen some examples of electronics units that were identical, with the exception of an extra year on the "specialty retailer" version. Usually, an extended warranty can be cheaper than the price difference though. Good luck.

kpzbee
03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the information.
I made a few calls today & what your saying is true. I also found out these 2 models are not available yet. Both are '05 models. There are sales restrictions on the RXV series units & are not to be sold by phone or on line. You have to purchase them from a store. Since J&R is in NY & I'm in Ohio, that won't work for me. I've decided to get the RX-V650 so I'll have to get one locally. I called a dealer & they didn't even know about it yet but will contact me when it becomes available. He said that the YAPO feature is well worth the wait (about a month or so). :(
Oh well, that will give me time to find some speakers :D
One other thing. The RX-V650 has a 3 year warrenty vs a 1 yr warrenty on the HTR model. The RXV has pre-outs on ALL channels where the HTR only has a pre-out for the sub.
Again, thanks for the info!

kexodusc
03-22-2004, 06:39 PM
I called J&R last week about this very subject. The HTR-5760 does have pre-outs for all channels, take a look at the back panel in these picks: http://www.yamaha.com/YECDealerMedia/AD_HTR_recs.htm

The lower line HTR (and some RX-V) models don't have pre-outs. For some reason, the write-up for the HTR-5760 on J&R's website is inaccurate...they told me they've had a few calls about this. HTR models have had pre-outs in the past, and after the negative feedback about the 5590 not getting it, Yamaha's hopefully learned their lesson.

Besides, if you look closely at the RX-V and HTR receivers now, you'll see that there are noticeable cosmetic differences. Mostly front angles and the shape of the buttons, but enough to "distinguish" from their cousins.

The warranty issue is true. But you can purchase comprehensive extended warranties to make it a moot point, and still keep cheaper if not the same as the RX-V line.

Two things in favour of the RX-V line though. First, usually specialty dealers provide better service, but that's not always the case. Two, the RX-V line probably has more resale value, but in 4 or 5 years, it's probably not going to be very much anyway, and we're not talking cars here.

If nothing else, J&R's good prices and service on the HTR line should give you some bargaining power with local shops since you can use it as a starting point for price/features.

kpzbee
03-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Hmm, you must have had the chance to talk with someone (at J&R) that knew something! LOL I sure didn't.
Thanks for the link. I missed that page. You make some good points for both. Now it does seem that they're equals for the most part. At this point they're the same price too. Your right on the money about resale. My old RX-V690 might just end up out in the garage. I don't think there is a resale for it. hehe
I guess I'll wait & see what this dealer comes up with for a price. I told him what J&R's price is. If he won't deal, I'll get the HTR from J&R. :D