What to look for in a projector? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a projector?

moves
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
So I have decided, after I just visited an advanced audio shop, that I want a projector.

They have a 133 inch screen for $2000 and a $1300 entry level projector hooked up to it and it looked great.

What should I look for in a projector and what about different kind of makes?

N. Abstentia
06-23-2009, 10:44 AM
You'll want 1080p capability, and of course an HDMI or DVI input. I've had good luck with Optoma projectors.

Also keep in mind you don't HAVE to buy a screen. Screen paint on the wall works darn good, and actually much better than a cheap, non-tensioned screen. Mine was $11 for a gallon of paint and $15 for some trim to go around it.

AVMASTER
07-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I'd probably take a good look at the room it's going in first. Decide projector/equipment placement, wiring requirements, screen size and type (what can the wall/ceiling support), then measure everything (ceiling height, distance from projector to screen, etc...). If you've got your budget locked down then you can base your projector on the aforementioned info

audio amateur
07-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Are you talking projector specs?

moves
07-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Yea specs perty much. I know some are $1500... and some are 8k.... but what's the difference... Should I look for the quality of the bulb etc?

audio amateur
07-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Well there are quite a few specs. The main thing is to know what environment the projector is going to be placed in and chose the projector according to that. Now there are several specs you should look at, but I'm not necessarily the one to talk to. GMicheal owns a couple and I'm sure knows more than me. Try private messaging him about it.

GMichael
07-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Well there are quite a few specs. The main thing is to know what environment the projector is going to be placed in and chose the projector according to that. Now there are several specs you should look at, but I'm not necessarily the one to talk to. GMicheal owns a couple and I'm sure knows more than me. Try private messaging him about it.
GM got by, by asking a lot of questions here http://www.bigscreenforums.com/ and reading a lot here http://www.projectorcentral.com/

I would go for a 1080p now. Back when I was shopping for mine, 1080p's were in the $10k range. Now you could get a nice one in the $2k range. Here are some of the more popular models. http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm Panasonic, optima and Epson are getting the best reviews. Mitsu is getting good reviews also, but I don't like them. Sanyo gets OK reviews but are also the least expensive. I love mine.

Do you have control of the lighting in the room you will be using? This is very important.
Will you be mounting it to the ceiling? This is best IMO, but may not be plausible in some rooms. Do you have vaulted ceilings?
How far will you be sitting from the screen?
You can get a very nice picture without a screen, but a good screen can make a difference. Kex made a nice one on his own. I'm sure he'd share his process.

moves
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Do you have control of the lighting in the room you will be using? This is very important.
Will you be mounting it to the ceiling? This is best IMO, but may not be plausible in some rooms. Do you have vaulted ceilings?
How far will you be sitting from the screen?
You can get a very nice picture without a screen, but a good screen can make a difference. Kex made a nice one on his own. I'm sure he'd share his process.

well to be honest, it will happen in the near future... 5 years or so. I'm just interested in this stuff so i was jsut wodnering. I went to a shop and they were selling custom screens. There was a customer who got a 133inch screen for 2k. Do you think that's a lot? I'm not sure of the make of it.

Regarding ceiling mounting... this is what i will be doing.

I will also have panel controls for the custom lighting.

What are vaulted ceilings?

GMichael
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
well to be honest, it will happen in the near future... 5 years or so. I'm just interested in this stuff so i was jsut wodnering. I went to a shop and they were selling custom screens. There was a customer who got a 133inch screen for 2k. Do you think that's a lot? I'm not sure of the make of it.

Never too early to start planning.
I've seen higher prices. Not sure how much better they are for the cost. I can't see spending $2k on a screen unless I was paying $10k for the projector. There are too many options for way less that will still give you a nice picture. My screens came in bundles with the projectors, along with ceiling mounts and HDMI & component cables.

Regarding ceiling mounting... this is what i will be doing.

Good choice.

I will also have panel controls for the custom lighting.

How about windows? You'll need to control any light entering the room.

What are vaulted ceilings?

Also called cathedral ceilings. Way high, like 2+ stories.

moves
07-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Yea regarding the lighting I want to get the automatic black blinds that come down with remote control... pretty awsome

regarding the screen.. i did some research and noticed i can get a 100 inch screen for like $600 online http://www.stewartfilm.com/ they look like they have some nice stuff

Sparrowdog
07-26-2009, 06:03 PM
www.av-setup.com is very helpful. Depending on your room conditions, they'll advise the best components

AVMASTER
07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
regarding the screen.. i did some research and noticed i can get a 100 inch screen for like $600 online http://www.stewartfilm.com/ they look like they have some nice stuff[/QUOTE]

I'm just curious, but which Stewart screen model did you find for $600.00?

sportsradiony.com
08-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Check out Canon's REALiS LCOS projectors. Great image quality using an overlooked technology.

codecougar
08-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I recently bought a 720P Sanyo Projector (PLV-Z60) and a 106" Da-Lite pull down screen (High Power - Model B). Bought both from www.visualapex.com.

The price shipped was under $1,100 for both. I picked up a 35' HDMI cable from bluejeanscable.com (Tartan 24 cable) for $31.00.

So for under $1,100.00 I now have a sick 106" HD projector set up. I have compared it to a 10K+ set up that a (rich) friend has. His is better, but not by much.

I would do some research. 720P projectors are very cheap right now and there is really little noticable difference that I can see.

Spending 2K on a screen is kooky talk in my book. My high power screen is very nice, the colors pop off the screen, resolution is amazing, black levels decent.

So, why wait 5 years? :)

audio amateur
08-16-2009, 04:05 AM
Nice one Cougar, I may be getting a 720P projector soon, just because they are so cheap relative to 1080P.