PayPal questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PayPal questions

Hyfi
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
I posted a Tube Preamp for sale at AA today and already have a buyer who wants to use PayPal.

I have an account but have only used it to purchase. How does it work if someone buys from me?

I see some fees apply but it's vague. Also, how do I get my money from PayPal after the transaction is completed?

Thanks....

Groundbeef
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
They just "PayPal" you the money. Make sure to follow all directions w/regards to shipping. Make sure you AT A MINIMUM use deliverly confirmation. At best use a tracking method such as UPS/FedEx. This is to minimize fraud on the buyer end.

After you get confirmation that you have the money just "withdraw" the money. When I sold on Ebay I typically had it electronically deposited into my checking account. Usually takes 3-4 days.

If the buyer files a complaint they can take it out of your accounts.

mlsstl
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I've used Paypal to receive money from eBay sales.

First, check with Paypal - I believe you need a premier account to receive money for the sale of a product.

Once the money is sent by the buyer, it shows up as a credit in your account. You can then transfer it to a linked checking account. Or, you can get their credit card and use the funds that way. Or you can just leave the money as a credit balance and use it to fund a future purchase of your own.

Hyfi
06-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Thank you both. I will do some research. I'm not shipping until I have the cash in my hands.

Auricauricle
06-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Just want to add that you might wanna chat with the prospective buyer a little before you make the final plunge. I have worked with Paypal for purchases on Ebay and Craigslist for a while now, and I have always taken a little time to feel prospective clients out. With my recent purchase, I chatted with the guy about a burned out power light that was graciously repaired and general banter about things audio in general. These conversations assured me that the person I was dealing with was real, straight forward and was of some integrity. Further clues such as taking the time to spell words correctly and using standard English in his posts were also noted. Occasionally I have called people on the phone, giving me me a more global appreciation of the client based on speech, demeanor and straight forward language. I know it sounds anal, but I have yet to be screwed over and it has made such experiences rewarding for both parties....

Hyfi
06-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Just want to add that you might wanna chat with the prospective buyer a little before you make the final plunge. I have worked with Paypal for purchases on Ebay and Craigslist for a while now, and I have always taken a little time to feel prospective clients out. With my recent purchase, I chatted with the guy about a burned out power light that was graciously repaired and general banter about things audio in general. These conversations assured me that the person I was dealing with was real, straight forward and was of some integrity. Further clues such as taking the time to spell words correctly and using standard English in his posts were also noted. Occasionally I have called people on the phone, giving me me a more global appreciation of the client based on speech, demeanor and straight forward language. I know it sounds anal, but I have yet to be screwed over and it has made such experiences rewarding for both parties....

I'm with you on all the above. The guys first email gave me all his info, addy and 2 phone numbers. I do plan to talk to him but need to setup my business PayPal account.

Hey, the fact that he even knew what I was selling was a good sign. I looked at all his old posts and found he ownes/d several pieces of Sound Valves gear.

Thanks for input

hermanv
06-28-2009, 02:41 PM
It is difficult to con someone in a specialized field. The crook usually just doesn't speak the language.

Most people with whom I did an internet transaction were only too happy to burble about audio or their system. A crook selling speakers will be unable to discuss imaging for example.

I was once offered a Levinson product "new in sealed box" that hadn't been in production for over 10 years, or a Pass Labs amplifier from the Philippines where they would pay for overnight shipping. A quick check with a freight company revealed a shipping cost of over $700. Since they asked for 50% down and balance on delivery and wanted $1600 it was obviously a scam.