Marantz 1030 integrated amp problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz 1030 integrated amp problem

atsf359
06-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Hello folks.
I have a vintage Marantz 1030 amp that has a bad volume control....The unit is no longer usable....It is not a really expensive model or top of the line kinda piece but it has great sentimental value and i would like to get it back up and running...Its in perfect physical condition other than the bad control.....I had it at the repair shop and the technician says the volume control has a cracked wafer and needs to be replaced...We can't find one anywhere in this area....He told me it is a dual gain volume control with a taper...If anyone out there knows where i might be able to find a parts donor or person that sells parts for old vintage equipment i would really appreciate the help...thanks for your time...
Sincerely,
Paul

Feanor
06-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Hello folks.
I have a vintage Marantz 1030 amp that has a bad volume control....The unit is no longer usable....It is not a really expensive model or top of the line kinda piece but it has great sentimental value and i would like to get it back up and running...Its in perfect physical condition other than the bad control.....I had it at the repair shop and the technician says the volume control has a cracked wafer and needs to be replaced...We can't find one anywhere in this area....He told me it is a dual gain volume control with a taper...If anyone out there knows where i might be able to find a parts donor or person that sells parts for old vintage equipment i would really appreciate the help...thanks for your time...
Sincerely,
Paul

It seems to me that it ought to be easy to find suitable substitute volume control -- for a relatively low-end unit like the 1030, there's not need to worry about authentic parts.

I'm no electronics technician, but a "dual gain volume control with a taper" sounds like the normal description of an analog volume control, i.e. potentiometer, for a stereo amp. Such a component can be bought for under $20; see some examples HERE (http://www.partsconnexion.com/controls_pot_alps.html).

I have a Marantz 1070 that I bought on eBay a few months ago. When I find a moment, I'Il open it and see what it's got for a volumne control -- likely I would be identical to the 1030.

atsf359
06-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the info....If i knew which value pot to buy i could install it myself......I took the unit in for repair because i dont have the equipment to analize problems..So i didnt even know the volume control was the issue...Please let me know what it is when you take a look at yours....Not a monster amp with tons of features but always a clean and smooth sounding unit with effecient speakers hooked up....My first nice piece of equipment when i was a teen way back.......I want to keep it running......thanks

02audionoob
06-19-2009, 12:29 PM
This site could probably help:

http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/index.html

Feanor
06-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the info....If i knew which value pot to buy i could install it myself......I took the unit in for repair because i dont have the equipment to analize problems..So i didnt even know the volume control was the issue...Please let me know what it is when you take a look at yours....Not a monster amp with tons of features but always a clean and smooth sounding unit with effecient speakers hooked up....My first nice piece of equipment when i was a teen way back.......I want to keep it running......thanks

Hi again, atsf359,

I don't blame you for wanting to hang on to the unit. I sold lots of stuff over the years that I wish I still had today.

For what it might be worth, here's a picture of the volume pot on my 1070. Note that it's 250 kOhm unit. The maker looks like ALPS, still very much in business today.

Dario54
03-31-2016, 01:00 PM
I have one stereo volume pot taken out from my working 2265 and changed with a different model totally compatible.

What the German seller explained to, NOT all the volume pots are compatible, because beside suitable size you should see a 5th leg from the pot to be connected to the Loudness control.

In case mine may still interests you, please contact me in PVT only, please.