Share You Favorite Pair of Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Share You Favorite Pair of Speakers

BallinWithNash
06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
What is your favorite pair of speakers that you have owned?
Mine would have to be either JBL Studio Monitor 4406 (i think that is the model number) or my Polk RT35's ....dont make fun of me .. dont have enough money to buy Dynaudio's :(

nightflier
06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Talon Audio Khites. Still own them. Nothing under $2K I have compared them to is better. Considering I paid $600 for them, was an additional bonus.

JohnMichael
06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
My Mobile Fidelity Labs Original Master Loudspeker 1's. Great speakers with low distortion and excellent resolution.

JoeE SP9
06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Check my gear list below. I have owned various Acoustat models since 1983. The Spectra's have been in my listening room for 10 years.

Mr Peabody
06-18-2009, 07:33 PM
I believe for most "ever owned" would be our current speakers. I know mine are.

basite
06-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Probably the ones I own now, Thiel CS2.3's...

although, somehow, I cannot really explain why, definately not for quality reasons, I miss my Double Advent system too though...
should set it up again somewhere this summer, just for fun...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
06-19-2009, 04:55 AM
What is your favorite pair of speakers that you have owned?
Mine would have to be either JBL Studio Monitor 4406 (i think that is the model number) or my Polk RT35's ....dont make fun of me .. dont have enough money to buy Dynaudio's :(

Magneplanar MG 1.6QR, which I own now, are by a wide margin the best I've ever owned.

Given panel speakers work for me, I can't think of any speaker that comes anywhere close in the <$2k price range. Of course, $2k is not considered a lot of money in this day and age when most people are either wealthy or have too much access to consumer credit.

Luvin Da Blues
06-19-2009, 05:00 AM

LOL, I was gunna wait a few more posts B4 I made that observation.

Jack in Wilmington
06-19-2009, 08:33 AM
I agree with Mr. P, in the fact that most people here currently own the best speaker that they have ever had. My Usher X-719 are the best that I've ever owned. I at least always hope that I'll have the means to replace something in my system that is not pleasing.

Hyfi
06-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Damn, I got rid of the best ones and replaced them with worse ones when I upgraded.

moves
06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Well let me just say that I just auditioned a pair of Synchrony One PSBs and what a speaker. At a 5K CAN price tag I will have to wait and save up a little more.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/speaker-systems/psb-synchrony-home-theater-loudspeaker-system.html

N. Abstentia
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Paradigm Reference Active 40's.

Bring over any sub $2000 speaker and your choice of amps and I'll put them to shame :)

Really though, great speakers and it's too bad they don't offer them anymore.

dean_martin
06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
"favorite" that I own? I must say the $300 pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones I bought shortly after joining this forum ___ years ago. (The site has changed a couple of times and I lost track of my sign-up date, but it was somewhere around the turn of the century.)

The AE's are no longer in my main system, but I've kept them because they remind of the feeling I got when I listened to them for the first time. They're hooked up to an old Sansui integrated that I don't listen to enough these days.

budgetaudio76
06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
The favorite speakers i own are the 2 pairs of Infinity RSa, and of course i like to play them stacked.(i dont think i have any one favorite speaker.) They are power hungry as they are inefficient, But thats why i have the power amps.

For more midrange detail. I have hooked up a pair of m7 clones and an M&K Volkswoofer with the clones as satellites.

I prefer to think of my speakers as part of a whole. WHich i think you can see in my avator. Plays a solid 30 hertz, and with the M&K gos lower to 20 ertz or so. I still havent been able to find specs for it.

Pat D
06-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Well let me just say that I just auditioned a pair of Synchrony One PSBs and what a speaker. At a 5K CAN price tag I will have to wait and save up a little more.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-loudspeakers/speaker-systems/psb-synchrony-home-theater-loudspeaker-system.html

It's a great speaker. Since the impedance gets below 3 ohms and stays around 4 ohms from about 30 to 2000 Hz, it needs an amp that can drive fairly low impedances. Soundstage and Stereophile loved it, too, and you can look at their measurements.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/408psb/index4.html

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_synchrony_one.htm
http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/psb_synchrony_one/

Charlie04SiR
06-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Mine are my 1978 Kenwood LS-408B's. They were designed by Kenwoods brightest engineers in the USA. The model example they followed was Their own "Model Seven" speaker, which were created by Kenwood of Japan entirely of their own design and construction. No outsourced drivers. The USA LS-Series-A & B were a few of the best speakers that Kenwood has ever made. They utilize drivers with unique voice coils, coupled to cones that have a very high rigidity, yet are extremely light. They deliver effortless amounts of the most detailed sound output across the entire spectrum, with no coloration, reveberation, shrill, or roll off. I have a picture of one of my pairs of LS-408B's in the Gallery :D

thekid
06-30-2009, 01:36 AM

I am not quite sure that is true in my case given everything I have lying around ........ :D

Honestly for me I can't say say I have single pair that are my favorite. Obviously anyone who follows my posts knows I don't own any of the high end speakers mentioned here by others which are probably capable of doing everything right in terms of SQ. I do own several pairs of speakers that come pretty close to doing everything right. Depending on what source they are paired up with and the music being played all of the speakers in my listening areas make me very happy with their SQ.

So for me the questions is kind of like asking what is your favorite ice cream. I certainly have a few flavors that are the top of the list but if I walk into a ice cream parlor that offers 31+ flavors there is not one flavor I have to have above all others. Variety makes the spice of life as the saying goes...... and for me it is the same with speakers.

Feanor
06-30-2009, 02:34 AM

True enough, BUT of very fond memory are the Ohm F Walsh driver speakers I owned for a number of years and greatly regret selling when I did.

Worf101
06-30-2009, 05:03 AM
Since my HT rig has to do "double duty". I can't fully answer this question with absolute certainty.

My fave main floorstanding: Platinum Audio Studio 3's. My first "modern" speaker, bought only to satisfy "puddin". Currently mains in my HT system. $300 pick up off the bay. Best money ever spent.

Fave Bookshelf: Modded Epicure Model 14. Most refined "smal" speaker I've ever owned. Not a LOT of bass but man they sing.

Da Worfster

Mr Peabody
06-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Feanor, you have a point. I don't regret selling my Infinity Kappa 7's in a way because the Dyn's are better, even my Audience 60's but I really liked the 7's and there is something to be said about the type of bass a 12" woofer does in a sealed enclosure. If I had room maybe I should have hung onto them.

bfalls
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm torn between the mains in both my systems, Legacy Focus or Klipsch KG4s.

The Legacys are a 7 speaker 3-way system with 3-12" woofs, 2-7" kevlar mids, one ribbon and one silk-dome tweeters. Original price around $6500.

My Kg4s are a 2-way system with two 8" mid/woofs, horn tweeter and passive radiator. I believe they retailed for around $650. I go them for $530.

Although the Legacys are over 10 times the money, they're not necessarily 10 times better. They do everything right. I doubt I ever sell them.

The Kg4s have decent bass, is well balanced and images very well. I've heard a lot of different, expensive, well-engineered speakers in the past 35 yrs. Most are very good, but not necessarily better than what I have.

Doc Sage
07-01-2009, 09:09 PM
My present speakers are by far the best I ever owned...and the most expensive, a pair of Josephaudio RM25. I've owned them for over 6 years now and have no desire to listen to anything else. Never have I been this long without searching for a replacement.

In the 70's I owned a pair of Dynaco's A50's and still have some fine memories of them. A pair of 6.5" woofers in each box mating with a single 1.5" tweeters. Those were the seakers that educated me (and my ears) into better sounding speakers. In a way, my present and above mentioned speakers are very similar, a couple of smaller size woofers have less distortion yet will deliver the "slam" and the extention...and the single crossover of a two way speaker system is more respecful of the music then a three way system can ever be.

Before my "Joe's", I had a pair of Energy's mini monitors, Connoisseur 3's I think they were called. These were also one of my faves.

Doc Sage

Mr Peabody
07-02-2009, 05:24 AM
I'd like to hear some Joe's, I've heard they were good. Also, interesting in hearing Harbeth & Nola. I wish more brands were available for audition.

GMichael
07-02-2009, 08:02 AM
The Onix Strata Mini's that I own now would have to be my favorites. Their planner style mids and tweeters give me that sweet sound that I fell in love with the first time I heard a set of Magnepans. The conventional mid woofer and powered woofers give me the the dynamic range that I was afraid to loose with full planners.

Luvin Da Blues
07-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Yer all whacked, how can you beat these bad boys.

GMichael
07-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Yer all whacked, how can you beat these bad boys.

With one of these bad boys.

Luvin Da Blues
07-02-2009, 10:33 AM
With one of these bad boys.

Come on now GM, where's ya gunna get a more styling doorstop or coat hook.

BallinWithNash
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
doorstop hahaha ... good one blues

theebadone
07-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Well i used to be a big b&w fan, until i picked up the jbl l-100s and have been auditioning them for about a week, i liked em so much i picked up another pair of jbl 18 ti from a friend for 80.00 and im fast becoming a jbl convert.

bobsticks
07-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Very, very nice setup...

theebadone
07-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Thank you, im really liking this old stuff myself. Hmm maybe thats because im old stuff now.