Using existing amp with AV integrated receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Using existing amp with AV integrated receiver

zombyw00f
03-21-2004, 12:21 PM
I own a Jeff Rowland 112 2 ch amplifier, and a very nice pair of ProAc 3.8 speakers. I would like to set up a 7.1 surround sound system using my existing components. My question is this: Is it possible to buy a mid-end integrated receiver (Yamaha or Onkyo) and somehow still be able to use my amp to power the front 2 channels? And if so, would this free up more of the power in the receiver for the other channels? Is this an reccomended course of action? Thanks for your help.

TinHere
03-21-2004, 12:38 PM
I own a Jeff Rowland 112 2 ch amplifier, and a very nice pair of ProAc 3.8 speakers. I would like to set up a 7.1 surround sound system using my existing components. My question is this: Is it possible to buy a mid-end integrated receiver (Yamaha or Onkyo) and somehow still be able to use my amp to power the front 2 channels? And if so, would this free up more of the power in the receiver for the other channels? Is this an reccomended course of action? Thanks for your help.

Yes, yes and opinions vary...some will say use all seperates. As long the receiver has pre-outs you can incorperate outboard power.

Studio B
03-21-2004, 07:30 PM

Yes, as long as the receiver has the pre-amp outputs to do so. I'm using a NAD T-763 for my center and surrounds and an Adcom 125w x 2 for the mains. I tried using the receiver for the mains as well, but was not impressed with the results. I really didn't notice a sustained increase in power from the receiver, but I find that I have more headroom.