Dish Network HDTV package - A good deal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network HDTV package - A good deal?

jblair
03-21-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm tempted by this Dish Network package - <$1K for a 34 or 40" HDTV monitor (set), tuner, and Dish all installed:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/index.shtml

I would choose the direct-view monitor because of my viewing area set-up. Is this a good deal? Am I better off buying a set separately and then subscribing to the programming package to get better quality? Also what about adding a Tivo to this set up for SD broadcasts anyway - is it possible with an HD box from Dish?

Appreciate any advice! Thanks.

woodman
03-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm tempted by this Dish Network package - <$1K for a 34 or 40" HDTV monitor (set), tuner, and Dish all installed:

I would choose the direct-view monitor because of my viewing area set-up. Is this a good deal? Am I better off buying a set separately and then subscribing to the programming package to get better quality? Also what about adding a Tivo to this set up for SD broadcasts anyway - is it possible with an HD box from Dish?

Steer clear of this package deal. Why? Because the TV set is made by RCA, and therefore very likely to be a reliability problem if not a downright pain in the arse.

What I'd recommend (if it fits within your budget constraints, that is) :
Get a Toshiba (or Hitachi) 42" RPTV - then subscribe to Dish Network and get both an HDTV receiver and a PVR 510 or 508 from Dish. As a new customer, you can have this deal for no cost to you other than a commitment to buy programming for a year. This will make a whole lot more sense to you in the long run (and the short run too).

You said that you would choose the direct-view monitor ... I strongly urge you not to follow that path. It's just too risky. If anything should happen to the CRT after the warranty expires, you're left with nothing but a very expensive door-stop! Replacing one of those tubes is out of the question - the cost would be approximately the same as an entire new set!

Hope this helps you

jblair
03-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the quick and good response, Woodman. I knew it was too good to be true. But man that price is right ...

I was thinking direct view set more size-wise than technology wise. I live in an apartment with a small viewing area. But I assume your advice is to stay away from all direct-view HDTV sets -- not just the bad RCA model hawked by Dish?

Also, did you mean that Dish would give me both an HDTV receiver and a PVR receiver and I could connect both to the same set? (Sorry such a relative newbie ...).

Again - thanks so much for your advice.

ThreeDHomer
03-21-2004, 02:04 PM
And I think it is reviewed in this Months Sound and Vision.

woodman
03-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the quick and good response, Woodman. I knew it was too good to be true. But man that price is right ...

I was thinking direct view set more size-wise than technology wise. I live in an apartment with a small viewing area. But I assume your advice is to stay away from all direct-view HDTV sets -- not just the bad RCA model hawked by Dish?

Also, did you mean that Dish would give me both an HDTV receiver and a PVR receiver and I could connect both to the same set? (Sorry such a relative newbie ...).

Again - thanks so much for your advice.

You say that you live in an apartment ... do you know if a Dish Network installation is even a possibility for you (it might be or might not). If such a thing is possible for you, then yes you can have an HDTV receiver AND a PVR receiver and hook them both up to the same set! Promotional deals from both satellite companies and from cable systems are an ever-changing thing, and what was in effect last week may not be this week, etc. You'll have to contact Dish directly, or a local dealer to find out for sure.

Finally, yes you are quite right ... I advise staying away from ALL direct-view CRT-based HDTV sets ... they can be a risky propsition. There are much better alternatives to be had IMO.

Hope this helps you

les rosenberg
10-01-2004, 01:14 PM

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/system/index.shtml

I recently bought HDTV and dish network HDTV receiver. I would wait a while, probably through XMAS when TV's go on sale anyway, and because the HDTV set-up from Dish is not bug-free yet. They have the 921 Receiver, which includes HD recording (similar to Tivo), but you need to buy it (can't rent it), and it costs approx $1K. It is really great to have the recording capability, and I think its probably worth the money.
Big problem is that the Dish Network receiver is RF ONLY: you will need to use the Dish remote to control the Receiver, and your TV remote to control your TV, because the dish remote isnt flexible enough to learn all the signals you need to control a HDTV (aspect ratio, etc.), let alone learn the signals from your other IR equipment (assume you will have home theater receiver, DVD, etc., if you are going to HDTV level). You need to use BOTH remotes every time you change a channel, because the aspect ratio of the picture varies depending upon the channel's broadcast content, and your viewing preferences. Dish says their engineers are working on the problem.
Les.