10 Rock/Pop Acts making great music today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10 Rock/Pop Acts making great music today

PPG
11-23-2003, 05:38 AM
Submitted for your approval, or amusement or heated discussion, whatever the case may be.

http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/1103/21.top10.shtml

DariusNYC
11-23-2003, 06:07 AM
Nothing against these particular artists, but the implicit dismissive judgment on today's music implied by that article is ridiculous. There are many many artists making great music today, in many areas of rock/pop/dance/hip-hop/whatever, and the idea that someone would make a list of 10 across the entire pop/rock genre and not call it something like "the 10 greatest" but actually "10 great acts", as if there were only about 20 or 30 but this guy wanted to highlight 10 -- that idea is quite light-years away from the way I judge today's music scene. Although I do acknowledge that in the rock genre the more quality interesting and/or innovative stuff that's out there today is almost never getting played on the radio (less true with dance-pop, but definitely true with rock these days), it is out there, and quite often it even sells a bunch of records (e.g., Flaming Lips, Radiohead, The Strokes).

Jim Clark
11-23-2003, 07:23 AM
What? No Goo Goo Dolls? Well lucky for them they got the Foo Fighters as #1 or I would have to take major exception to their list.

jc

MindGoneHaywire
11-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Interesting list. Of course it's hard to take anything seriously that praises Justin Timberlake, but there are a couple of names on this list that I do think belong there, most notably Beck of course, but also Bebel Gilberto. Her album IS a must-have to all but those who hate Brazilian music, but I'm not even sure she could be considered someone 'making music today,' as she's only released one album (full-length at 40 minutes or so, but short by today's standards), and that was some three years ago. There is a remix version of the album also, but I'm not sure what she had to do with it, if anything. Meanwhile...in their praise of Beck...you know, I'm just never going to be the sort of person who judges music on whether or not a release is good because it's the best surround sound release on SACD.

I saw another article linked to on this site a week or so ago & I think it's absolutely ridiculous. It's by a guy who's entangled in some kind of strange thing with Clear Channel, can't remember the exact details, but something involving some strange behavior on that huge corporate entity. They bought some publication he owned or something like that & now they actually have a website out there that talks sh*t about him or something like that, Mickey Mouse **** that you wouldn't expect from an outfit like CC. I mean, I don't know anyone who likes them, but you do expect professional conduct on their part, you know? Well, anyway, due to having seen this article, I was kinda skeptical of anything I see on this site. The list of 10 is not as bad...this isn't only a bad article because the guy's stuck in the past, but because it's a poorly written piece of garbage that wasn't even researched in anything resembling a proper manner. Oh, well. Let me know what you think.

http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/1103/13.classicrock.shtml