Frequency -- IQ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Frequency -- IQ

MasterCylinder
06-17-2009, 05:20 AM
I got the so called "Special Edition", which includes a DVD of concert footage.

The new material on the CD takes a few listens but this music is growing on me daily...........I like it a lot..........a good example of traditional British prog.
And the DVD is very good too.............nice historical selection of IQ music.

The CD is produced by guitarist Michael Holmes...........I have always appreciated the tone he gets from his strat and this recording is more of the same quality.............in addition, his overall production is very good...........highly recommended.

I got word three days ago from the Dream Theater webpage that their new CD is also in the mail............expecting it to be delivered today............cool.

ForeverAutumn
06-17-2009, 05:54 AM
I got word three days ago from the Dream Theater webpage that their new CD is also in the mail............expecting it to be delivered today............cool.

Cool. So I guess there was some benefit in overpaying for it. :wink5: Amazon is showing an estimated delivery date of June 25th for my copy. I guess they won't ship until the release date, which is the 23rd.

kexodusc
06-17-2009, 06:06 AM
I have both of these coming through Amazon as well. These 2 bands are pretty much on auto-buy for me.

Don't think I got the special edition of the IQ album though...can't remember. Am I missing much if I have most of their other albums? Any commentary or anything?

Demetrio
06-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks, MasterCylinder. Just added it to my want list.

Demetrio.

MasterCylinder
06-17-2009, 06:28 AM
I have both of these coming through Amazon as well. These 2 bands are pretty much on auto-buy for me.

Don't think I got the special edition of the IQ album though...can't remember. Am I missing much if I have most of their other albums? Any commentary or anything?

No.............the only difference is the inclusion of a DVD...........there is no commentary associated with the DVD............I bought it because it is the only video performance I have of IQ...........all of the music is stuff you already have............below is the setlist from the DVD:

Awake and Nervous
You Never Will
Frequency
The Magic Roundabout
Harvest of Souls
Sleepless Incidental
Crashed and Burned (Stronger Than Friction)
The Seventh House
It All Stops Here
Guiding Light

Encore:
Subterranea
The Darkest Hour

MasterCylinder
06-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks, MasterCylinder. Just added it to my want list.

Demetrio.

You will love it, Demetrio.

The new album is very good and the video is straightforward progrock............all the players are excellent...........Peter Nicholls can be a bit of a clown but I sure like the lyrics he writes...........his stage presence is 100% Peter Gabriel.........you can tell this guy lived and breathed early Genesis in his younger days.

3-LockBox
06-17-2009, 07:09 AM
I have this one...I prepaid for it just before I got laid-off; had to wait forever to get it.

I'd say this one is better than Dark Matter, but no one song is the equal of Sacred Sound (from DM). It has a slow, moody Pink Floyd vibe to it, not unlike Subterranea, but not wallowy like Dark Matter was. I still think The Seventh House is my fave, but there is no mistaking this album for anyone but IQ. Its a keeper.

If this IQ album grabs you, then you just gots to check out Satellite (from Poland). I've said of their 2007 album, Into The Night, that it remined me of IQ, if David Gilmour was the guitarist, and the dude from Riverside was the vocalist. I bought the new one, Nostalgia (not my ideal album title for a neo-prog band ;)), and I love it.

Coincidently enough, the two bands now have album covers in common as well:

http://www.alltunes.com/covers/i/iq/frequency/cover.jpghttp://www.alltunes.com/covers/s1/satellite/nostalgia/cover.jpg

The Satellite CD precedes the IQ, so who copies who?

Finch Platte
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
I got the so called "Special Edition", which includes a DVD of concert footage.

The new material on the CD takes a few listens but this music is growing on me daily...........I like it a lot..........a good example of traditional British prog.
And the DVD is very good too.............nice historical selection of IQ music.

The CD is produced by guitarist Michael Holmes...........I have always appreciated the tone he gets from his strat and this recording is more of the same quality.............in addition, his overall production is very good...........highly recommended.

Thanks, I saw this in the store the other day and wondered if it was worth getting.

But would Swish like it?

3LB
06-17-2009, 08:37 AM
But would Swish like it?

Nope...

so you know its good ;)

:16:

MasterCylinder
06-19-2009, 04:22 AM
OK --- so I've been through this Frequency disc about ten or twelve times now and it is getting better as I soak it in............one song in the bunch is of really odd construction but everything seems to fit.

The DVD is the same..............Peter Nicholls is the odd duck on stage but everything seems to fit............these guys write and play really well.

Swish
06-19-2009, 06:25 AM
Nope...

so you know its good ;)

:16:

Good one.

Finch Platte
06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
The DVD is the same..............Peter Nicholls is the odd duck on stage but everything seems to fit............these guys write and play really well.

Ha! I beg to differ. I bought this last night, and my thoughts after sitting through it (the DVD) were that these guys are prog at its worst. To me, they seem like high schoolers in their first prog band, creating some really vapid prog moments.

Nothing about their individual techniques made me sit up & go "Wow!" The singer has a reedy, thin voice that sounds the same throughout the DVD (along with phrasing that is seemingly interchangable from tune to tune, and he suffers from what I call LaBrieitis- using the word 'I' 46 times in every song), the guitarist is capable but boresville, man, and the drummer looks as though he's uninterested in the entire proceedings. Not a smile on his face once, that one. And don't get me started on some of the tones the keyboard player used! *Groan*

Bad, bad, bad.

File under: Cheese.

MasterCylinder
06-19-2009, 08:03 AM
To me, they seem like high schoolers in their first prog band, creating some really vapid prog moments.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You would never exaggerate, huh ?

We all know Nicholls has no big range and master showmen, they are not..............I still think they write and play very well.

Finch Platte
06-19-2009, 10:15 AM
To me, they seem like high schoolers in their first prog band, creating some really vapid prog moments.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You would never exaggerate, huh ?

We all know Nicholls has no big range and master showmen, they are not..............I still think they write and play very well.

No, we did NOT all know that he has no big range. Boring band with a boring singer.

They're alllll yours. :biggrin5:

MasterCylinder
06-20-2009, 05:14 AM
Boring band with a boring singer.
They're alllll yours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yech ?

BarryL
06-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Spinning DT today, but picked it up at HMV for less than the amazon price. But amazon keeps pushing back the IQ delivery date, now to the first week in July. Maybe they'll get it sooner than they think.

3LB
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Spinning DT today, but picked it up at HMV for less than the amazon price. But amazon keeps pushing back the IQ delivery date, now to the first week in July. Maybe they'll get it sooner than they think.

:10: There was a big brew-ha-ha (balderdash, ballyhoo, bicker bicker bicker) concerning the delivery of IQ CDs over at PE last month. Seems that the band (or its management) didn't expect a lot of interest in their new album...or sumpin. :sosp:

About 1000 preorders waited an extra month or so due to some manufacturing foul-up. Band managment decided to take their first shipment of 750 CDs on tour with them to sell during their first leg of concerts in Europe, rather than fill the preorders:nono: (these preorders cost extra cuz supposedly the fans were getting them weeks before the street release date...sike!). This dissing of these preorders was followed by some problem with the manufaturer, who is somehow slow in meeting the demand for CDs.

Finch Platte
06-24-2009, 11:22 AM
:10: There was a big brew-ha-ha (balderdash, ballyhoo, bicker bicker bicker) concerning the delivery of IQ CDs over at PE last month. Seems that the band (or its management) didn't expect a lot of interest in their new album...or sumpin. :sosp:

About 1000 preorders waited an extra month or so due to some manufacturing foul-up. Band managment decided to take their first shipment of 750 CDs on tour with them to sell during their first leg of concerts in Europe, rather than fill the preorders:nono: (these preorders cost extra cuz supposedly the fans were getting them weeks before the street release date...sike!). This dissing of these preorders was followed by some problem with the manufaturer, who is somehow slow in meeting the demand for CDs.

Ah. now we know why CDs haven't been selling. It's not the consumers, it's the manufacturers!

BarryL
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM

I guess the band is busy making music and nobody is running the business. Maybe that's why they don't have a record label.

BTW, their track Ryker Skies appears on the disk that comes with the magazine Classic Rock Presents Prog, issue #2. The DT tune A Rite of Passage is also on the disk, along with mostly very poor selection of songs considered by the publisher to be "prog."