PC Volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PC Volume

BallinWithNash
06-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Alright guys i think this was covered but i wanted to get this for right for my set up. What should my pc volume be at? ... i play my music through iTunes (volume is all the way up..correct or not?) then i have the volume control on my pc which is almost all the way up should i turn it all the way? and my M-Audio Transit usb sound card will be here shortly ... is there volume controls on that if so what should it be set at .. my stereo equipment is in my signature (Crown powers sub, Denon JBL's, and Marantz Polks)? .. so many different volumes so confusing haha :confused5:

02audionoob
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I'd say turn everything up on the computer. Then adjust down as necessary to make your receiver play the volume you like with the volume knob turned up to around 11:00. The balance should be better when the receiver's volume knob is up high.

BallinWithNash
06-15-2009, 08:04 PM
alright .. thanks .. cuz i was confused haha

Feanor
06-16-2009, 05:37 AM
I'd say turn everything up on the computer. Then adjust down as necessary to make your receiver play the volume you like with the volume knob turned up to around 11:00. The balance should be better when the receiver's volume knob is up high.

I basically agree, but would go further. Digital volume controls work by reducing the bit count and thereby, in effect, restricting the inherent dynamic range of the music. Turn (or slide) the digital controls to full and attenuate using an analog control as much as possible, even if you're typically using a 9 o'clock setting.

Kevio
06-16-2009, 06:29 AM
I basically agree, but would go further. Digital volume controls work by reducing the bit count and thereby, in effect, restricting the inherent dynamic range of the music. Turn (or slide) the digital controls to full and attenuate using an analog control as much as possible, even if you're typically using a 9 o'clock setting.I basically agree but would not go quite as far.

Not all software level control restricts dynamic range. Some software controls control analog attenuators. It is often difficult to tell which controls those are though.

Some signal chains produce distortion when the digital controls are turned all the way up. You might find get better sound if you back off a bit.

BallinWithNash
06-16-2009, 06:03 PM
yea i had to back off a bit on my pc volume .. but it sounds fine with iTunes all the way up .. well at least to my ears haha

02audionoob
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I basically agree, but would go further. Digital volume controls work by reducing the bit count and thereby, in effect, restricting the inherent dynamic range of the music. Turn (or slide) the digital controls to full and attenuate using an analog control as much as possible, even if you're typically using a 9 o'clock setting.

I leaned toward that recommendation at first, but adjusted based on my own recent experiences with a Marantz receiver similar to that owned by the OP. I backed off the level fed into my receiver and turned up the volume. The sound has better balance and I think less distortion.