NAD T531 Won't Play DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD T531 Won't Play DVD

Hal
06-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Hello all. I have a NAD T531 DVD/CD player. I've had it for some time now and have been pleased with it in general. However, this weekend I rented a DVD and all the NAD menu could / would bring up was the selection for directors comments, trailer, etc. - in other words all the extras and not the film itself. I played around with menu and could not find the film.

I thought that there should be two DVDs in the case so I took it back to the video store. The attendant popped the DVD into there machine and the menu came up for the film.

Why would not this work on my NAD? The only thing I could determine was that the DVD was a dual layer DVD. Could this be the issue? My owner's manual for the T531 does not mention dual layer DVDs. I have an email in to NAD but they are usually slow to reply.

Thanks for any thoughts on this issue.

markw
06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Have other DVD's, before and after, worked with the unit? I've got some pretty ratty DVD's from our local Blockbuster.

Hal
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes. Both DVDs that I own and other DVDs from Blockbuster rented at the same time.

Hal
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Ah! NAD just replied. It will not play dual layer DVDs. Great. Now I have to budget for a new DVD player.

N. Abstentia
06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Shouldn't be too bad, nice single disc players are $59 now.

pixelthis
06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
A good excuse to go BLU RAY.
Players are under 200 bucks, some under 160:1:

Hal
06-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Any suggestions? I know I should do some research here and other sites but any quick thoughts?

markw
06-16-2009, 04:12 AM
I saw a Walmart ad in this Sunday's flyer for a Bluray for $128. The brand escapes me.

N. Abstentia
06-16-2009, 06:05 AM
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_133BD60K/Panasonic-DMP-BD60K.html?tp=171

Panasonic BD60K is $209. There's no way you can beat that player for the price and I wouldn't bother with anything cheaper. It's not worth it to have to deal with the clunkiness, slowness, and incompatabilies of cheap players (the above mentioned WalMart player is a Magnavox. Yech.)

Unless you need multi channel analog outputs for the audio, get that Panny on the way today before the price goes up.

Hal
06-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Will the Panasonic play dual layer DVDs?

Edit to say that Crutchfield says it will. Some reviews fault this model for not having built in wi-fi.

What is built in wi-fi for DVD players?

N. Abstentia
06-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Built in wi-fi is for the BluRay player part, it allows you to download additional content for some discs (BD Live) and it makes firmware upgrades simple. Without wi-fi you'll need to plug it into your ethernet to get BD Live and updates, but if you don't have ethernet near the player don't worry too much about it. I've yet to find anything on BD Live and I only updated my player one time just because I could :)

anamorphic96
06-16-2009, 01:59 PM
If you don't want to go Blue Ray right now you can get a Marantz DV-4001 from One Call for 83.00 shipped. Or a Denon 1940CI from 6thAve.com for 88.00 shipped. Both players will do what you need and more.

pixelthis
06-17-2009, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Hal]Will the Panasonic play dual layer DVDs?

ANYTHING will play dual layer discs.
I bet your NAD used to before the focusing doo-hicky that refocuses the read laser
for different layers died.
NAD got into trouble when they started outsourcing from China.
No matter how brillant the engineering it doesnt matter if the execution sucks:1: