Hello from born again hi fi nut. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello from born again hi fi nut.

Ron Pilgrim
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Hello, the name is Ron. Have had an avid interest in high fidelity sound since the '70's. Took a step back in the mid '90's due to family and career priorities and because of the lack of available vinyl due to a hostile takeover attempt by CD's. Well the kids are gone, the job is stable and vinyl seems to be making a comeback. The turntable is back up on the shelf and playing sweet music once again. And now I can get good used equipment that I could only before dream of at a fraction of the original msrp. I now run 2 NAD receivers and a Realistic int. amp, a Dual TT and a Technics TT, driving 6 sets of speakers and lovin' the music. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but is a music lover herself and puts up with it. For years I was happy with what I had, now I want to try everything that I can afford. I used to read AudioReview all the time and stumbled across this site while doing some googling and am happy to be aboard.

JoeE SP9
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Welcome aboard Ron. Audiogon is the place to look for "good" used gear. If vintage is your thing Audiokarma is the place for that. I'm not trying to chase you away. Just trying to be helpfull is all. I'm a registered user/poster at both sites and others. This place is my favorite.
What do you mean comeback? When did vinyl go away?

Other sites of interest:
www.stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com)
www.audioasylum.com (http://www.audioasylum.com)
www.audiogon.com (http://www.audiogon.com)
www.audiokarma.org (http://www.audiokarma.org)
www.vinylengine.com (http://www.vinylengine.com) (LP oriented site)
www.audioholics.com (http://www.audioholics.com)

Ron Pilgrim
06-14-2009, 11:43 PM
What do you mean comeback? When did vinyl go away?

For me it started going away in the late '80's when I could no longer buy LP's at the local music stores. I then signed up with Columbia House Record club as they still offered Lp's. That is until the mid '90's. They stopped selling records and for me(because of my northern location, Dawson Creek, BC) vinyl was not conveniently available. It still isn't, but thankfully the internet has opened up quite a few analog doors and my faith that good will prevail has been renewed.

Feanor
06-15-2009, 02:57 AM
Hello, the name is Ron. Have had an avid interest in high fidelity sound since the '70's. Took a step back in the mid '90's due to family and career priorities and because of the lack of available vinyl due to a hostile takeover attempt by CD's. Well the kids are gone, the job is stable and vinyl seems to be making a comeback. The turntable is back up on the shelf and playing sweet music once again. And now I can get good used equipment that I could only before dream of at a fraction of the original msrp. I now run 2 NAD receivers and a Realistic int. amp, a Dual TT and a Technics TT, driving 6 sets of speakers and lovin' the music. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but is a music lover herself and puts up with it. For years I was happy with what I had, now I want to try everything that I can afford. I used to read AudioReview all the time and stumbled across this site while doing some googling and am happy to be aboard.

My experience and love for hifi goes back to the early '70s. I started with Dynaco amp, preamp, and tuner that I assembled from kit, Dyanco A25 speakers, a Lenco turntable and Shure cartridge.

Unlike yourselft however, I welcomed the advent of CD. Yes, it's true the early sound was a tad disappointing, but I had always dislike the LP ergonomics, so I bought CDs in preference. I bought my first CD player a year or two after CD introduction, once prices had settled down a bit. It was a Yamaha, CD2 might have been the model. By then I was listening to B&W DM7 speakers, Phase Linear 400 amp, and Apt Holman preamp. I also had an ERA (from France) belt-drive turntable, Grace 707 tonearm, and Sonus Blue cartridge.

I had a long hiatis from active hifi pursuit from the late '80s and throughout the '90s. My interest revived in about 2002 and which point I was still listening to the aforementioned B&Ws, etc., except my Yamaha CDP had broken down and been replaced by the much better Technics SL-P970, (I still have this player though it's used only occassionaly as a transport; see the picture).

I was never won back to LP listening, though I still own a very modest Pioneer direct-drive TT and Denon high-ouput MC cartridge. Today 98% of my listening is to music ripped from CD to computer. Computer is the ultimate in convenient selection and playback. And the sound isn't to shabby either: believe it!

Ron Pilgrim
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Unlike yourselft however, I welcomed the advent of CD. Yes, it's true the early sound was a tad disappointing, but I had always dislike the LP ergonomics, so I bought CDs

When I first heard about the development of the CD I was very much looking forward to being one of the first on my block to own a CD player. As you mentioned, the early sound was disappointing and after a few auditions, I stuck to my TT. Well now that several years have passed and digital has improved its quality, my aversion toward CD's has diminished. I don't mind the extra effort it takes to play a LP because the sonic reward is worth it. At the same time, the obvious convenience of the cd is quite convincing so I also run a Pioneer 450 changer and find its sound quality good enough to make it enjoyable to listen to. I also run a NEC single disc player that has somewhat better performance but not nearly as convenient. I am considering one of these so called audiophile tube cd players and possibly a tube cd buffer, but I have yet to be able to audition either and am reluctant to make a deaf purchase. Any thoughts on this?

JoeE SP9
06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
An external DAC may be something to think about. It will give better sound from both of your CD players. One of the better ones that re-clocks, buffers and up and over samples could make a big difference. If a tube buffer is on your mind get a DAC with a tube output stage. Also you can use a DAC with a new player (if you decide to go that route) or with the SP/DIF output from your computer/music server.

pixelthis
06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
My experience and love for hifi goes back to the early '70s. I started with Dynaco amp, preamp, and tuner that I assembled from kit, Dyanco A25 speakers, a Lenco turntable and Shure cartridge.

Unlike yourselft however, I welcomed the advent of CD. Yes, it's true the early sound was a tad disappointing, but I had always dislike the LP ergonomics, so I bought CDs in preference. I bought my first CD player a year or two after CD introduction, once prices had settled down a bit. It was a Yamaha, CD2 might have been the model. By then I was listening to B&W DM7 speakers, Phase Linear 400 amp, and Apt Holman preamp. I also had an ERA (from France) belt-drive turntable, Grace 707 tonearm, and Sonus Blue cartridge.

I had a long hiatis from active hifi pursuit from the late '80s and throughout the '90s. My interest revived in about 2002 and which point I was still listening to the aforementioned B&Ws, etc., except my Yamaha CDP had broken down and been replaced by the much better Technics SL-P970, (I still have this player though it's used only occassionaly as a transport; see the picture).

I was never won back to LP listening, though I still own a very modest Pioneer direct-drive TT and Denon high-ouput MC cartridge. Today 98% of my listening is to music ripped from CD to computer. Computer is the ultimate in convenient selection and playback. And the sound isn't to shabby either: believe it!

Oh I beleive it.
Nice to hear from another convert to computer audio.
Not only sounds great but is very convienent. Listening to a single slot CD player , constantly having to get up, etc, is a real pain.:1:

Hyfi
06-16-2009, 04:56 AM

I was 9 in '70 but remember watching my oldest brother build Heathkits and Dynaco amps-pres-and tuners and playing them all through AR5s. Also built some Hafler gear when it was still available in kits.

That is about when I started appreciating music and audio. My very first setup included a Heathkit integrated/tuner.

Auricauricle
06-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Don't know if this is the most appropriate place to post this, but from the nostalgic tone of things I figure it's as good a place as any....I just ordered a Kenwood KA6006 integrated and its matching tuner, KT6007. From what I see, the amp is pretty good, the tuner could be better, but at $100.00 for both, which are in pretty decent shape, I figured I'd give 'em a shot. Now I gotta figure out how to sneak 'em through the door and into the cabinet before SWMBO gets suspicious. Sound familiar? I have looked for info about these units, learning that they were released around '74. While I realise they aren't the epitome of high end by any stretch, they seem like reasonable performers, will appeal to my sentimental side, and were reasonably (quite!) priced.

If anybody knows anything about these hummers, please let me know what you know...

In the meantime, if anybody is looking for equipment, I have a receiver and a couple of other goodies that are heading out....Just PM me for the particulars....

Hyfi
06-16-2009, 07:21 AM
In the meantime, if anybody is looking for equipment, I have a receiver and a couple of other goodies that are heading out....Just PM me for the particulars....

Have fun with the new toys.

I have a Sound Valves 101i all tube pre amp with Phono section for sale also.

Auricauricle
06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks. I am sure I will....Am thinking about bridging the Kenny with the receiver until I get a bite. Space necessitates sacrifice, however. The 101i seems a sweet unit....

Hyfi
06-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks. I am sure I will....Am thinking about bridging the Kenny with the receiver until I get a bite. Space necessitates sacrifice, however. The 101i seems a sweet unit....

For the money it is a very nice entry into tubes. I would still be using it if the VAC didn't fall into my lap.

Auricauricle
06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I can feel you pain, bro' !