Odd local HD channel selection since transition... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Odd local HD channel selection since transition...

Ace H
06-14-2009, 06:24 PM
I have a 40" Samsung 1080p HDTV (LN40A550) with ATSC/QAM tuner and two 32" Sony Bravia (1080p via HDMI) KDL 32L4000 TV's with ATSC/QAM tuners.

Before the digital transition using standard cable (straight from the wall...NO CABLE BOX)...in order to view local HD digital channels I would input 52.2 for NBC etc. on all 3 TV's. Since the digital transition the Samsung now uses channel 706 (local NBC HD Station...same as when used with a digital HD box) but the 2 Sony TV's still use 52.2. Since they all have ATSC/QAM tuners why the difference with input since the transition?

pixelthis
06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a 40" Samsung 1080p HDTV (LN40A550) with ATSC/QAM tuner and two 32" Sony Bravia (1080p via HDMI) KDL 32L4000 TV's with ATSC/QAM tuners.

Before the digital transition using standard cable (straight from the wall...NO CABLE BOX)...in order to view local HD digital channels I would input 52.2 for NBC etc. on all 3 TV's. Since the digital transition the Samsung now uses channel 706 (local NBC HD Station...same as when used with a digital HD box) but the 2 Sony TV's still use 52.2. Since they all have ATSC/QAM tuners why the difference with input since the transition?

SOUNDS LIKE you're Sammy is getting something from the feed intended for the cablebox..
I bet that 706 is the channel you get this station on if you have a cable box.
Other than that I am clueless.
I do know that on my "straight" cable feed I GET ALL KINDS OF WEIRD STUFF,
bits and pieces of ondemand, Turner classic(which isnt on regular cable), and other strange crap.
Its probably something like that.:1:

pixelthis
06-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Speaking of which, this has prompted me to check my "straight" cable feed,
and several HD stations are reading "scrambled", so it looks like there will be a cable box in everybodies future, which is what they want, of course.:1:

Ace H
06-15-2009, 03:12 AM
I bet that 706 is the channel you get this station on if you have a cable box.
706 is the channel for that station when using a HD cable box. I'm thinking it's just how the tuners from these two different brands react to the straight cable feed. 706 is the local NBC station you would select when using a HD Cable box while 52.2 is the local NBC station WITHOUT the HD Cable box on the Sony Bravia TV's.

Woochifer
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
A lot of DTV stations moved to a different UHF frequency when the changeover occurred. The transparency of that changeover depends on your TV and your cable system.

pixelthis
06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
706 is the channel for that station when using a HD cable box. I'm thinking it's just how the tuners from these two different brands react to the straight cable feed. 706 is the local NBC station you would select when using a HD Cable box while 52.2 is the local NBC station WITHOUT the HD Cable box on the Sony Bravia TV's.

Exactly, you are getting the unscrambled cablebox version for some reason.
Does your Samsung have a "cablecard" by any chance?:1:

Ace H
06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
No cablecard.