Check out the new additon to my HT room. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Check out the new additon to my HT room.

Swish
06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
I haven't picked them up yet, but will the week after next. I wasn't using my HT for stereo listening very often, but when I added my TT last year (remember that long, drawn out saga?), I was very disappointed with the audio from my little Paradigms. They sound great for movies, 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby or DTS, but the little fronts are unacceptable for stereo playback. Anyway, I got a great deal on this gorgeous Paradigm Studio 100s, and they should kick some major booty.

thekid
06-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Even though I can't seem to enlarge your pic they do look like they will make some serious fronts. I assume you will be courteous and warn everyone in the neighborhood before you hook them up..... :)

Swish
06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Even though I can't seem to enlarge your pic they do look like they will make some serious fronts. I assume you will be courteous and warn everyone in the neighborhood before you hook them up..... :)

...realize it would be so tiny. The speakers are three-way, four-driver, reflex-loaded and weigh about 110 pounds each and stand about 4 feet high. These are the V2 models and were being sold as demos from an audio shop in NJ. I got an really sweet deal on them as they're in excellent condition and they come with all original packaging, cables and manuals.

My HT room is in the basement and is nearly soundproof when I close the pocket doors if you are outside my house. We're planning to move fairly soon and what I really want to do is to get rid of my rear-projection hi-def and go with a projection and have the viewing wall treated instead of getting a screen. I also want it to be longer and wider than the 13' x 19' I have now. It's great for sound and viewing, but I can only fit about 5 or 6 people comfortably.

bobsticks
06-14-2009, 07:12 PM
That's a nice addition to the system Swishy. I've checked those out before and they do an awful lotta things right...not that your old ears will ever hear it...but you def got the capability of moving some air.

Nice

Slosh
06-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Nothing like full-range mains and a sub. I cross mine over at 40hz. Plus now you have a good excuse to build another system in another room. Can't let your old speakers go to waste! :)

Swish
06-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Nothing like full-range mains and a sub. I cross mine over at 40hz. Plus now you have a good excuse to build another system in another room. Can't let your old speakers go to waste! :)

...about how the setup should look, but perhaps the 40hz will work for me. As for 'another' system, I already have a second casual area, but it's not meant for critical listening. It's just beyond the pocket doors to my HT room. I have in-wall Paradigms for that area and I have those über cheap outdoor speakers connected as well, so I can switch back and forth or play inside and outside on our patio simultaneously.

As for my extra speakers, I think I'm just going to hang onto them in the event I have a problem with my center on rears. All 5 are the same (Paradigm LCR system...left, center, right) and I still have the dipoles on the sides. I guess a lot of this depends on where we end up if and when our house sells. I'd really like to build if I can find a suitable lot that's not too big. Most of what I'm seeing are 2 acres, and I don't feel like taking care of that much land these days. I'm just too busy.

Demetrio
06-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Hey, Swish, congratulations!!! That's a pretty nice addition to your system indeed.

Demetrio.

Swish
06-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey, Swish, congratulations!!! That's a pretty nice addition to your system indeed.

Demetrio.

I promise to locate that nice compilation you sent me with the very cool art work and give it a spin one I have the speaker installed.

richmon
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Very nice, I had the Studio 60's for a couple years, had many joyfull listening sessions with them.

Are you bi-wiring them? That seems to be the hot set up for Paradigms.

Swish
06-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Very nice, I had the Studio 60's for a couple years, had many joyfull listening sessions with them.

Are you bi-wiring them? That seems to be the hot set up for Paradigms.

...rather quickly and move, so I'll probably wait until I move. I guess it's not exactly a long, drawn out project, but my life is so complicated now (way more than selling a house) that I'll be happy just to plug them in and change the setting in my processor.

Thanks for commenting.

Jack in Wilmington
06-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey Swish,
You are staying in the area, I hope? Can't have you running off to a new city and not being a Flyers fan anymore.

I know there are a few Studio 100 owners here, so you are in good company. My local HiFi shop carries Paradigm, so I've listened to them many times. Great choice.

Swish
06-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey Swish,
You are staying in the area, I hope? Can't have you running off to a new city and not being a Flyers fan anymore.

I know there are a few Studio 100 owners here, so you are in good company. My local HiFi shop carries Paradigm, so I've listened to them many times. Great choice.

Our place is way to big for the two of us, so we're downsizing to one-floor living, plus a basement of course since I'll need a nice big HT room. Even if I were moving far away, I'd still be a Flyers/Eagles/St. Louis Cardinals fan. Why didn't I mention an NBA team? Because it's the biggest joke in pro sports, that's why. Well, that and NASCAR.

A good friend and business partner has a pair of them, and I was quite impressed. He bought his used from a guy in Reading, PA. They're V.1s while mine are V.2s. I think they're now up to a V.5 but the changes are incremental at best.

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Our place is way to big for the two of us, so we're downsizing to one-floor living,

Getting too old to maneuver those stairs, eh gramps? ;)

Congrats on the new additions.

Hyfi
06-16-2009, 04:50 AM
I haven't picked them up yet, but will the week after next. I wasn't using my HT for stereo listening very often, but when I added my TT last year (remember that long, drawn out saga?), I was very disappointed with the audio from my little Paradigms. They sound great for movies, 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby or DTS, but the little fronts are unacceptable for stereo playback. Anyway, I got a great deal on this gorgeous Paradigm Studio 100s, and they should kick some major booty.

Congrats and enjoy!

Most may not realize that the center carries almost everything you hear up front while the main fronts carry sound effects and background noise/sounds. It doesn't make much of a difference whether they are bookshelves or floorstanders for HT.

Nothing like being in the music with a nice big pair of speakers.

Swish
06-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Getting too old to maneuver those stairs, eh gramps? ;)

Congrats on the new additions.

I maneuver stairs just fine....for now. We currently have 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths and 2 half baths on 3 floors including the finished basement. All this for 2 people, so moving to one floor with 3 bedrooms (we need a guest room and I need an office) and perhaps 2 bathrooms makes a lot of sense. I also need a monster basement to build an even better and bigger HT room.

ForeverAutumn
06-16-2009, 10:53 AM
FA puts the FU in funny.

LMAO! :ciappa:

Demetrio
06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I promise to locate that nice compilation you sent me with the very cool art work and give it a spin one I have the speaker installed.

Mind you, Swish, I'm just starting working on some more of those comps here at the moment. The provisory title is "MY BEST SOUNDING RECORDINGS" (suggestions accepted for the definitive title of them, meaning something like "excerpts from the best sounding recordings in my collection"), so I think they are just the sort of stuff you'll want to play through your new (and very nice looking, by the way) floor standing speakers.

Best regards,
Demetrio.

kexodusc
06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey nice new toys, Swish. I still have my Studio 40's. Best garage speakers I've ever owned.

bobsticks
06-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey nice new toys, Swish. I still have my Studio 40's. Best garage speakers I've ever owned.

Lol at Kex slumming it with a pair of Studio 40's...we live good lives...

Auricauricle
06-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Nice paint strippers there, Swisheroo! Big sale at Home Depot?

Swish
06-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Congrats and enjoy!

Most may not realize that the center carries almost everything you hear up front while the main fronts carry sound effects and background noise/sounds. It doesn't make much of a difference whether they are bookshelves or floorstanders for HT.

Nothing like being in the music with a nice big pair of speakers.
...original post, I mentioned how I didn't care for the stereo playback through the small Paradigms and how I didn't use the system for stereo very often anyway...until I got my TT last year. You never would have noticed the deficiency otherwise since, as you put it, the center does most of the work for movies.

Swish
06-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Glad I could be of help, you corn-fed mohawk mutant!

Swish
06-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Nice paint strippers there, Swisheroo! Big sale at Home Depot?

I think I'll start using it without giving you credit. I have a feeling you did the same thing. Home Depot? Nah, it was Lowe's.

kexodusc
06-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Truth is I use them as a reference point for my DIY speaker projects. My "workshop", if you want to call it that is in the garage, which is home base for a lot of home projects....made sense to keep them close by. When it dipped below freezing I brought them inside for the winter. Too cold to router raw MDF and soldering is tricky with numb fingers. Couldn't hear them over my snowblower anyway. :lol:

I would love to find a some nice Bryston gear I could take off someone's hands for my garage system though :D

Swish, what are you driving those bad boys with?

bobsticks
06-18-2009, 04:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that Swishy uses Rotel gear...and a pair of these (http://www.thegearandgadgets.com/BROUS_MagniEar241Premier.htm?gclid=CK7arpSFlZsCFQo MDQod2imApA)...

Luvin Da Blues
06-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that Swishy uses Rotel gear...and a pair of these (http://www.thegearandgadgets.com/BROUS_MagniEar241Premier.htm?gclid=CK7arpSFlZsCFQo MDQod2imApA)...

I love it when the say "latest electronic based air-conduction sound amplification technology".

Isn't all sound we hear conducted thru air??? :confused5:

Auricauricle
06-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Geeze, Swish, did I hit a nerve? Me? Got mine in a box o' Crackerjacks! :D

Demetrio
06-19-2009, 03:42 AM
Luvin Da Blues, I'm very glad to meet another CHRIS REA fan here at Rave Recordings!!!!! (judging by your nice Chris Rea inspired avatar).

Cheers,
Demetrio.

P.S. - Sorry for the off-topic. ;)

Luvin Da Blues
06-19-2009, 04:57 AM
Luvin Da Blues, I'm very glad to meet another CHRIS REA fan here at Rave Recordings!!!!! (judging by your nice Chris Rea inspired avatar).

Cheers,
Demetrio.

P.S. - Sorry for the off-topic. ;)

I'm a big fan of Chris Rea, 'specially his bluesier stuff, always have been. :thumbsup:

Swish
06-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Truth is I use them as a reference point for my DIY speaker projects. My "workshop", if you want to call it that is in the garage, which is home base for a lot of home projects....made sense to keep them close by. When it dipped below freezing I brought them inside for the winter. Too cold to router raw MDF and soldering is tricky with numb fingers. Couldn't hear them over my snowblower anyway. :lol:

I would love to find a some nice Bryston gear I could take off someone's hands for my garage system though :D

...a two. I used the two-channel to drive the sides which are di-poles, but I'm going to switch that to the fronts. No sense running the 5 channel when I'm playing 2 channel music. My processor is the Rotel RSP 1098.
\

Swish
06-19-2009, 05:17 AM

Nuthin!