Needing a bit of assistance...Please...(newbie) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Needing a bit of assistance...Please...(newbie)

biggin101
06-14-2009, 05:28 AM
First off, hello to all,I'm biggin101, :7:

Kenwood Basic M1D-Amp
Kenwood Basic C2 Pre-Amp
Kenwood GE 1100 EQ
Yamaha TX-930 Tuner
Technics RS-TR555 Deck

Are my "newly" acquired components.These are "Tornado" survivors from Chapman KS (2008).
Anyways all Seems to work,What I am needing is info on connecting the EQ to the system,
At the moment I have the "Line" out/in from the EQ connected to the "Tape A" at the Pre-Amp and Pre-Amp Set at source.Found Users manual pic set,but nothing mentions an EQ.
I show "Input" levels on the EQ but get no response from it,with any of the "features/functions" on the EQ.I do notice at times the red LED's on the EQ tend to Dim,so I suspect It may be having an issue.

biggin...

02audionoob
06-14-2009, 05:39 AM
I can't remember when I last had an equalizer but it seems like the preamp should be set to "monitor"

biggin101
06-14-2009, 05:45 AM
I tried that and loose all "input" to the EQ,Like I said the EQ may have damage as a House was sitting literally on top of all these components.

biggin....

Feanor
06-14-2009, 06:14 AM
I tried that and loose all "input" to the EQ,Like I said the EQ may have damage as a House was sitting literally on top of all these components.

biggin....

Nevertheless the proper connection is this:

Connect the preamp's Tape A (or B) OUT to equalizer's Line IN;
Connect the equalizer's Line OUT to preamp's Tape A IN
Check the equalizer's switches. Some EQ's have their own Tape Monitor connections that are meant to replace a preamp's Tape Monitor where the preamp has only one Tape circuit. Make sure the EQ's Tape Monitor switch is not engaged.
Set the preamp's Source (Input Selector) knob to the source you want to listen to: (CD, Tuner, whatever, but not Tape).
Press the preamp's Tape A Monitor switch to ON.If this doesn't work you haven't followed instuctions -- or something is broken. Good luck.

Mr Peabody
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Another way that works with separates is to put the EQ in the chain between the pre and power amp. Go from pre out to EQ in, and then out of EQ into the power amp.

Was this your stuff before the tornado? If not familiar with the Basic it was Kenwood's higher end offerings. Easily, equivalent to today's mid-fi. You find find it's pretty good with out the EQ.

biggin101
06-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Its all working pretty good so far except the EQ.Its a twelve band unit with reverb.
No this was not mine before the tornado.A good friend of mine gave it to me on Saturday.
the Amp and Preamp I used to use back when i DJ'ed at my local American Legion.

Anyways I think The EQ tool some water damage,when I "try" to use it the LED's on the slides start to go dim and eventually go out all together.Turn it off for about an hour and they light up again for a few minutes.

biggin...

Auricauricle
06-15-2009, 05:50 AM
I think it's time to pull out the eq's plug and let it go....I'm really sorry....You need to grieve.

thekid
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
As an owner of both that amp and pre-amp I echo the sentiments that you will not need/miss the EQ. Got to love it when great equipment falls in your lap or in this case "blows your way" (sorry could not resist...)