Simple Minds favorite album. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Simple Minds favorite album.

Smokey
06-12-2009, 07:10 PM
You could say I was a Simple Minds hard core fan in the eighties as was following their music religiously. IMO they were one of the better band of alternative eighties genra and they manage to put out few memorable albums.

Although they still produce albums, they never reached the peaks they achieved in 80s. With that being said, my favorite album is Sparkle in the Rain which was produced by Steve Lillywhite. Steve flushed out the best from these guys, and it shows.

http://i.eimg.com.tw/d/alb/32/96032.300.jpg

unleasHell
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I have been listening to the remastered version of New Gold Dream for nearly a week in my car, awesome, awesome Cd followed ever so closely by Sons and Fascination.

By the way, avoid the Cd where they do all cover songs, it's rubbish...

Smokey
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks Hellman. Love the New Gold Dream album. Bought that album without hearing a song or seeing review, and sure wasn't disappointed. It is a very complex album.

From their earlier work, Sons and fascination somehow did not click for me, but loved Reel to Reel Cacophony. I think they found their sound on that album.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Where's Empires & Dance?

I would have chosen that one - but since it wasn't an option I went with Reel to Reel.

I guess I'm old-school when it comes to Simple Minds.

N. Abstentia
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Street Fighting Years. Sonically one of the best sounding CD's I've heard...I even picked up the vinyl on Ebay for $1 since it sounded so good :)

I need to get more of their stuff. I have Street, Cry, the Live album, and various downloaded songs.

Smokey
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Lion Tamer, you sure did went way more back than I did. Old-school is appropriate :D

On their earlier albums, they seem to be doing alot of experimenting with various instruments. The influence of punk rock is definitely apparent on their first album Life In a Day. But they made departure from that sound on their second and later albums.

Abstentia, I also have Street Fighting Years (and all albums prior to that) on vinyl. Lou Reed also sing on that album, but it was slightly too politicize for my taste. At least you're not as old school as Lion Tamer :)