does anybody know what this is? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : does anybody know what this is?

momurda2
06-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I was driving home the other day and saw this sitting next to a dumpster at albertsons. It looked old, so i put it in my trunk. I have no idea what it is, except that its really old. I counted 9 tubes inside, I forgot to take some pics of them. Most are telefunken tubes. The unit itself has am fm sw tuners, separate bass and treble controls, a tube thats supposed to glow when a radio station is tuned correctly, different sound settings i think in the frront there. the emblem at the very bottom says Audio Elite.
It doesnt work right now. the plate on the back with all the ouputs and power cord has been removed (forcibly i expect). More pics to follow this weekend probably.
Hers some pictures

Charlie04SiR
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
wow that looks really sweet! Looks to be a unit from an old Console stereo. I have seen that style unit before but it was an Italian one with Italian script on the face. Yours and that one mechanically looked very very close.

basite
06-16-2009, 06:46 AM
I can't give you the exact model number, but I'm almost completely sure that it's a Nordmende...

I have a Nordmende table radio (traviata '57), and the knobs and buttons are almost completely identical, only this appears to be a console version...

Could you give any more pictures??
based on the exterior, I'd place this in the mid-late 50's...

Any plans of using it? Nordmende was a pretty good brand back then for table radio's and consoles. My traviata hasn't been serviced at all, only replaced the tubes (a few years ago), and I find it sounding much more pleasant and actually better, overall, than our Tivoli Model 2 table radio upstairs...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

basite
06-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Btw, definitely keep the Telefunkens, excellent tubes...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

drmorgan
06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
I was driving home the other day and saw this sitting next to a dumpster at albertsons. It looked old, so i put it in my trunk. I have no idea what it is, except that its really old. I counted 9 tubes inside, I forgot to take some pics of them. Most are telefunken tubes. The unit itself has am fm sw tuners, separate bass and treble controls, a tube thats supposed to glow when a radio station is tuned correctly, different sound settings i think in the frront there. the emblem at the very bottom says Audio Elite.
It doesnt work right now. the plate on the back with all the ouputs and power cord has been removed (forcibly i expect). More pics to follow this weekend probably.
Hers some pictures

That's possibly 30-50's, but those ivory buttons bring back memories and those were high end at the time. Came in highly polished cases and cabinets, but that might depend on the age of the thing. With the Telefunken tubes this also seems to speak to Grundig.

See the meter and the double knob here: http://www.grundigsw.com/.bp.blogspot.com/
http://www.grundigsw.com/