Just about perfect [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just about perfect

Davey
06-11-2009, 10:58 AM
You know, one of those artists that just seem to always make music you like, almost what you envision yourself doing ... if you had that special talent. What would be your story?

My story goes ... always loved the Clean and that big group of bands that recalled them, and the much much smaller group of bands that made them, but a few years ago my buddy from New Zealand (our old rr friend chrisnz) sent me a copy of the 1997 solo album from David Kilgour titled David Kilgour & the Heavy Eights, and it was like a revelation, loved it. I did know the Clean, and had an early compilation, along with one of the reunion albums in the 90s, and always loved that jangly sound. But this is one of those albums that just feels so right, even after all of the many, many listens over the last few years. Most of my like-minded buddies here probably got handshake copies, whether they wanted em or not. It's got that ever-present VU influence at the core, just like the Feelies and (of course) the Clean and Luna, and many other favorites of mine. Great guitar work, and kind of psychedelic sounding, mixed with that jangle sound of the other bands mentioned above. Kind of along the lines of vintage Steve Wynn from those early times with the Dream Syndicate, but a little softer maybe. Wonderful album. Not one that slaps you in the face and declares its greatness right away, but one that you keep playing just because it feels good. Similar in some ways to Yo La Tengo (whom they coincidentally thank in the liner notes), which means that much of the influence comes from the quieter side of the Velvet Underground. Very nice recording too.

So now I have just about all of his solo stuff, before and after the revelation, and simply put, if you love the best of bands like Yo La Tengo and Luna and REM and the Feelies and all the other descendants of the softer jangle rock sound of the Velvet Underground, when Sterling Morrison was more than lost in the shadow, you'll love these records too. His last few are on Merge in the US so are very easy to come by, as opposed to the excellent one before that with the Heavy Eights that I mentioned above, which I think is still NZ import only. All have very nice sound as a bonus, with lots of cool guitar and dreamy melodies. Frozen Orange has the guys from Lambchop backing him along with the Heavy Eights crew, and they recorded it down in Nashville. Listening right now to The Far Now from a couple years ago, recorded over about 3 years at a few different places, and love this one too. Only had it for a few months, so still gets a lot of plays. Another nice sounding recording too.

Heard the Clean may have a new one recorded and set to be released this year. Looking forward to that one.

3LB
06-11-2009, 12:49 PM
My story...If I could wish myself to be talented, I would be Steven Wilson. This guy is a phenominal talent, whether writing, performing or producing, he has the respect and admiration of everyone he works with.

My love affair with Porcupine Tree started about a year or two after I came to RR. There was always talk of PT here, but I didn't take the plunge until 2001. I had a few PT songs on comps, but my first forray was their first live album, Coma Divine. Seems a curmudgeonly old fart named Yech was selling it for $10. After taking some time to digest that, I then got The Sky Moves Sideways. It was enough to convince me to get Signify, then Lightbulb Sun, soon after that they were on autobuy. There were a few RR members kind enough to burn me copies of the OOP stuff, but since then, the whole catalog has been re-released. I have since bought everything they've put out, as well as two of Steve Wilson's side projects (No-Man, Blackfield) and anything he's been associated with (the sublime Damnation by Opeth).

There's been enough talk here about PT/Wilson that I won't go into depth here, but I love the etherial, dark vibe of Wilson's music making. He can do any style, from psychadelic, space rock or whistful, sentimental pop-rock. Maybe one day he'll achieve widespread fame in the US, but until then, thank God for the internet. I can't imagine a world where Porcupine Tree didn't exist.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
You know, one of those artists that just seem to always make music you like, almost what you envision yourself doing ... if you had that special talent. What would be your story?

Taking a page, literally, out of your post I'd identify The Feelies as a band who's music seems to have direct access ramp into my cerebral cortex. They only put out four albums, but there is not a moment of music on any of the four that I can say doesn't work for me. Even their choices of cover songs from the likes of The Stones, Beatles, Velvets (of course) and the Stooges, are inspired. And their two Jonathan Demme movie appearances - one in which they do a great version of Bowie's Fame - just work for me. 20 years later I can go to the shelf pick out any of their four albums and thoroughly enjoy it from beginning to end. If you ask me the Mercer/Million guitar duo is among the most underrated in rock. While maybe not as distinctive as Verlaine/Lloyd, their rhythmic sense brings to mind the best moments of Sterling Morrison era Velvets - appropriately they do a GREAT version of the Velvets "What Goes On".

I do regret never delving into the Mercer projects since the Feelies broke - his band Waka Ooloo had three 1990s releases, nor have I looked into Anton Fier's Golden Palomino's - maybe I don't want to ruin what for me now is perfection in four albums. I do think however I will at least look into Glen Mercer's 2007 solo project, which does sound promising.

bobsticks
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Wow. Whatta hella-broad concept post Daveyboy...almost too broad for simple reaction. The simple truth is that as my tastes and priorities change so do the things that influence and affect me...

My mind washes over the influential albums of my relatively young existence...Bryan Ferry's Bete Noire resonated with that jingley-jangley smoothness with smooth African accompaniment that would later come to symbolize so much crossover material...Sisters of Mercy's Floodland brought forth pomp and audacity...and the possibility of an album's layering being an acceptable milieu against the stark contrast of a live performance...

....Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force forging new grounds in terms of revisting the old, in terms of acknowledging the past and presenting visions of the future with glimpses of instrumental brilliance,

These days mellower things that fall within the genre of "singer/songwriter" and "craftsman" tend to move me much more than flash...despite what my constant recognition of pop culture might indicate.

All things being equal yer gonna hear some Califone or Sade or Over The Rhine or Miles Davis in this stronghold...the ethereal and surreal, the emotional and the evocative making a much greater impact...

If I could, if i would, in that Dickensian netherworld mebbe in that smokey bar, laying back, playing the wingman on something like:

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LN3Qwo4jF18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LN3Qwo4jF18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

As always, great posting Monkey-D.....................

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.popupplayer&sindex=9.9&shuffle=true&amix=false&pmix=false&plid=31745&artid=903473&profid=9733347&friendid=9733347&sseed=89949&ptype=3&stime=3.422&ap=1

Swish
06-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Wow. Whatta hella-broad concept post Daveyboy...almost too broad for simple reaction. The simple truth is that as my tastes and priorities change so do the things that influence and affect me...

If I could, if i would, in that Dickensian netherworld mebbe in that smokey bar, laying back, playing the wingman on something like:

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LN3Qwo4jF18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LN3Qwo4jF18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.popupplayer&sindex=9.9&shuffle=true&amix=false&pmix=false&plid=31745&artid=903473&profid=9733347&friendid=9733347&sseed=89949&ptype=3&stime=3.422&ap=1

...Electric Factory in Philly, sans Johnny. It was well done fur shur, but the vocals just aren't the same without Morissey.

I've been contemplating Davey's post but can't quite come up with a response, although I was thinking Ryan Adams ala 'Come Pick Me Up'. I love strumming that tune in b-flat on my acoustic.

Grumpy Old Swish