My new receiver & Speakers, which cable ?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My new receiver & Speakers, which cable ??

xplatinum
06-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Hello again everyone,

I just finished my Receiver/Speakers combo.

Yamaha HTR-6260 (RX-V665) (specs (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5028057&CTID=5000300&ATRID=1020&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE))
Klipsch RF-62 (cue sheet with specs (http://www.klipsch.com/images/download/235.aspx) PDF)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38Hz-23kHz ± 3dB
POWER HANDLING 125W RMS / 500W Peak
SENSITIVITY 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90°x 60° square Tractrix® Horn
HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER 1800Hz
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofers
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass-reflex via dual rear-firing ports
WEIGHT 54 lbs (24.5kg)

I'm really challenged when it comes to audio ! I'm pretty sure I got a good combo since its my first jump outside of HTIB's. Could some knowledgeable people tell me what they think of it ?

Also, what kind of cables should I use to hook everything up ? I read that 10-12 gauge cables are pretty much the way to go, no matter the distance. I found some good prices on tigerdirect.ca since monoprice doesn't seem to ship to Canada.

I was thinking of buying Velocity 12AWG cable (10ft each speaker) and hook them up with banana plugs.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance, this forum has a very helpful userbase :)

GMichael
06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure if they ship to Canada, but you could try this company. http://www.tartancable.com/

There are a few Canadian members here. I'm sure that someone will chime in with more options.

Unregistered
06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Monoprice does ship to Canada - I bought my cables from there

Luvin Da Blues
06-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Monoprice does ship to Canada - I bought my cables from there

As does Blue Jean Cables.

xplatinum
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh, I must have overlooked something on monoprice then.

But I know there's ton of retailers that sell cables...

What i'm seeking is advices on which cable I should get and if my combo is decent; not where I can get cables :hand:

pixelthis
06-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh, I must have overlooked something on monoprice then.

But I know there's ton of retailers that sell cables...

What i'm seeking is advices on which cable I should get and if my combo is decent; not where I can get cables :hand:

I had those speakers and had to return them (darn dogtrack).
And have had two Yamaha receivers, one from the "modern" HT age.
THE SPEAKERS were really nice, but I didn't have room so I sent them back for bookshelves.
I eventually spent 2 and a half grand for Klipsch speakers, but missed my b&W
sound. Doesnt mean they are bad speakers, just that I bought them in haste, never have been able to stand a titanium tweeter.
But its a good start for a system IMHO.
As for cables get a decent pair. I am one of those who understand that it makes not a whit of difference what cables you use once you reach a certain level of quality.
I have a 200$ pair of MONSTERS that I bought from a friend for a hundred bucks, thick
sheilded cables with integrated +/- leads on each one.
He went to lamp cord.
Hes' the one who bought my Klipsch's BTW, quite happy with them.:1:

Kevio
06-12-2009, 05:45 AM
What i'm seeking is advices on which cable I should get and if my combo is decent; not where I can get cables :hand:Bluejeans and Monoprice are both different kinds of cables as well as the outfits that sell them. I'm not sure whether they're even available retail.

I personally think that any reasonable gauge cable over a reasonable distance is going to do ya. 12 gauge over 10 feet would certainly qualify as more than reasonable in my book. Cables are a controversial area for audiophiles. Opinions run from lamp cord to thousands of dollars. The Bluejeans and Monoprice products are seen by most to be well designed and constructed and priced fairly. Most of us can get on board with them.

Same deal for combining components. Some enjoy playing the dating game with their equipment. If we were to tell you which combinations sound the best a/ it probably wouldn't sound best to your ears and b/ it would take all the fun out of it for you.

xplatinum
06-12-2009, 05:59 AM
pixelthis: yeah that titanium tweeter has a very 'aggressive' sound but I prefered that to the muffled sound of the Polk loudspeaker I saw in the store.

I just wish I could listen to some music or watch a movie on my newly bought system... but I can't ! /cry. I bought them a week and a half ago and they have to remain packed and sealed for another 2 weeks because me and my wife are moving into our first house.

So I have to deal with seeing the speakers and receiver packed all the damn time >.<
That's mainly why I'm asking for feedback on my setup... It's sitting at home and I can't try anything.

kevio: I finally went with Velocity 12 AWG, about 10" with Monster Banana connectors.

I will probably not play the dating game with my equipment... the sub from the reference series costs ~600$ CND, way out of my price range. I will have to settle with something less expensive. Maybe from another brand or one notch down from the RF from klipsch.

pixelthis
06-12-2009, 02:03 PM
pixelthis: yeah that titanium tweeter has a very 'aggressive' sound but I prefered that to the muffled sound of the Polk loudspeaker I saw in the store.

I just wish I could listen to some music or watch a movie on my newly bought system... but I can't ! /cry. I bought them a week and a half ago and they have to remain packed and sealed for another 2 weeks because me and my wife are moving into our first house.

So I have to deal with seeing the speakers and receiver packed all the damn time >.<
That's mainly why I'm asking for feedback on my setup... It's sitting at home and I can't try anything.

kevio: I finally went with Velocity 12 AWG, about 10" with Monster Banana connectors.

I will probably not play the dating game with my equipment... the sub from the reference series costs ~600$ CND, way out of my price range. I will have to settle with something less expensive. Maybe from another brand or one notch down from the RF from klipsch.

The sub I got with my Klipsch's run about 350 and was very good.
And that packing would'nt surrvive with me around.
I don't see a problem with unpacking the speakers for a few days, they are easily repacked
in just a few minutes.
So sit and stare at em if you want to, I WOULD BE USING THOSE SUCKERS!:1:

xplatinum
06-15-2009, 06:27 PM
So sit and stare at em if you want to, I WOULD BE USING THOSE SUCKERS!:1:

I'm almost there ;) I just don't have the space to unpack everything right now... it's a mess. It would just ruin the moment :16:

I just found some old speakers that's been sitting in the closet... I was thinking of using them maybe as surround speakers.

Would they be "compatible" with my receiver ? Yamaha HTR-6260 (see link up top). Are they any good ?

Speaker system - Sound Dynamics RTS-1
System Components: 2 speakers
Speaker Type: 2-way - passive
Response Bandwidth: 55 - 20000 Hz
Input Impedance: 8 Ohm
Recommended Amplifier Power: 15 - 80 Watt
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Crossover Frequency: 2500Hz
Output Features: Bass Reflex
Connectivity Technology: Wired
Detachable Grilles: Yes
Additional Features: Bi-amplified

Driver Details:

Right/left channel speaker : 1 x tweeter driver - 0.5"
Right/left channel speaker : 1 x mid/woofer driver - 5.25" - polypropylene

pixelthis
06-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm almost there ;) I just don't have the space to unpack everything right now... it's a mess. It would just ruin the moment :16:

I just found some old speakers that's been sitting in the closet... I was thinking of using them maybe as surround speakers.

Would they be "compatible" with my receiver ? Yamaha HTR-6260 (see link up top). Are they any good ?

Speaker system - Sound Dynamics RTS-1
System Components: 2 speakers
Speaker Type: 2-way - passive
Response Bandwidth: 55 - 20000 Hz
Input Impedance: 8 Ohm
Recommended Amplifier Power: 15 - 80 Watt
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Crossover Frequency: 2500Hz
Output Features: Bass Reflex
Connectivity Technology: Wired
Detachable Grilles: Yes
Additional Features: Bi-amplified

Driver Details:

Right/left channel speaker : 1 x tweeter driver - 0.5"
Right/left channel speaker : 1 x mid/woofer driver - 5.25" - polypropylene

Sure.
Sounds like old realistic speakers(just a guess)
You can use em till you can afford real surrouond speakers.
And I REPEAT, I have had those Klipsch's.
And if you knew just how good they sounded you would be tearing into those suckers
like a wolf into a bunch of sheep.:1: