Two recent "Shoot em ups!" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Two recent "Shoot em ups!"

Worf101
06-11-2009, 04:52 AM
My pops, god rest his soul, was fairly unsophisticated about entertainment. Considering he died in 1993 at age 91 I guess it's understandable. He liked certain shows, "The Fugitive" was a weekly staple as was "The Untouchables". Genre's were secondary to him as were TV guides. Now you must remember we lived in a time of THREE networks and about 4 or 5 indie stations. You found out what was on by either the guide in the Sunday Paper or the TV guide. Miss either and it was turn the dial with NO REMOTE, unless you count us kids.

"Boy, get up and change the channel."

"Yes dad." mumble grumble etc...

One of my dad's fave sayings was:

"Boy find me a Shoot Em Up."

This meant I had to find something on the tube with copious amounts of gunplay and physical violence. Back then it was pretty easy as westerns were still a staple of nightly T.V. In addition to the "oat burners" we also had cop shows out the ying yang. Dad was rarely dissappointed.

I mention all this because I saw two recent flicks that the ole crocodile might've liked.

"Qauntum of Solace" - C - The really dropped the ball on this one. A clear case of the "sophmore slump". Murky plot, uncompelling villain, all chase with no reason, little tension and crappy Bond Girls. I was dissapointed but Dad would've loved the gunplay and action.

"Punisher War Zone" - B - This one surprised me. It was everything "The Spirit" wasn't. I even enjoyed it more than "The Dark Knight" (start shooting now please). While "Jigsaw" isn't "The Joker" he's not half bad and quite believable. Ray Stevenson brings a weight and seriousness to the role that rings ture. Don't let the comic book origins of the piece put you off, there's drama here and a solid story.

If he were with me last night I could hear dad cackling now "shoot em boy, shoot em down like a dirty dog!"

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks for those reviews Worf. I love the stories of your Dad in there. Very nice touch. I'm feeling a little sentimental myself this week as Monday was the 15th anniversary of my Dad's passing and the Stanley Cup final is going into game seven...which my Dad would have been having a ball with! I'm going to miss sitting and watching the game with him on Friday.

But I digress. For a really fun Shoot Em Up movie, check out the 2007 flick "Shoot Em Up" if you haven't already seen it. A fun satire of shoot em up films made specifically for body count...which we lost count of in the first five minutes. :)

Worf101
06-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks for those reviews Worf. I love the stories of your Dad in there. Very nice touch. I'm feeling a little sentimental myself this week as Monday was the 15th anniversary of my Dad's passing and the Stanley Cup final is going into game seven...which my Dad would have been having a ball with! I'm going to miss sitting and watching the game with him on Friday.

But I digress. For a really fun Shoot Em Up movie, check out the 2007 flick "Shoot Em Up" if you haven't already seen it. A fun satire of shoot em up films made specifically for body count...which we lost count of in the first five minutes. :)
I saw SEU it was fun and the irony wasn't lost. Yeah, I get a little wistfull sometimes and I wonder if my son will see me the same way when I'm gone.

Who you got tonight? RedWings or Sid the kid?

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I saw SEU it was fun and the irony wasn't lost. Yeah, I get a little wistfull sometimes and I wonder if my son will see me the same way when I'm gone.

Who you got tonight? RedWings or Sid the kid?

Da Worfster

You sound like you're a great dad and I'm sure that your son will feel the same way.

The game is tomorrow night. I'd put my money on the Red Wings, but my heart is with the Pens.

Worf101
06-11-2009, 10:01 AM
You sound like you're a great dad and I'm sure that your son will feel the same way.

The game is tomorrow night. I'd put my money on the Red Wings, but my heart is with the Pens.
Ahem ah say....

So.... when is a CANADIAN TEAM gonna at least CONTEND for the cup again? (Worf covers head as empty can of Brodeurs (sp) smacks the wall as he scurries out the door).

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Ahem ah say....

So.... when is a CANADIAN TEAM gonna at least CONTEND for the cup again? (Worf covers head as empty can of Brodeurs (sp) smacks the wall as he scurries out the door).

Da Worfster

INCOMING...

SPLAT!!!

(damn, I missed)

I wish I knew Worfy, :nonod: I wish I knew.

One of the issues is that you Yanks outnumber us Canucks. We need more teams in Canada to even out our chances.

What's that I hear? Is that the sound of a Cotoye?

Worf101
06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
INCOMING...

SPLAT!!!

(damn, I missed)

I wish I knew Worfy, :nonod: I wish I knew.

One of the issues is that you Yanks outnumber us Canucks. We need more teams in Canada to even out our chances.

What's that I hear? Is that the sound of a Cotoye?
Nope the sound of an Islander is more like it. That's one sorry franchise downstate from me I tells ya.

Da Worfster

3LB
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
My dad was the same way about westerns. There was never any shortage of westerns on Saturday TV...when we wasn't watchin wrasslin that is.

I saw The Unforgiven again just last weekend...that's a great movie. Say what you want about Clint Eastwood, but for villains, Gene Hackman is a good/bad as they get. He can ooz smug and visciousness with the best of 'em. Oddly enough, I think I noticed for the first time, Hackman and Eastwood don't even share the same frame in the movie until the last I think.

Worf101
06-12-2009, 04:46 AM
My dad was the same way about westerns. There was never any shortage of westerns on Saturday TV...when we wasn't watchin wrasslin that is.

I saw The Unforgiven again just last weekend...that's a great movie. Say what you want about Clint Eastwood, but for villains, Gene Hackman is a good/bad as they get. He can ooz smug and visciousness with the best of 'em. Oddly enough, I think I noticed for the first time, Hackman and Eastwood don't even share the same frame in the movie until the last I think.
Hackman's been playing great western villains for decades. He knows how to "smile with menace" better than anyone I know. I assume that he'd be what we call a "character actor" back in the day. Never really did the leading man thing did he?

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
06-12-2009, 07:22 AM
What about The French Connection? The guy's versatility never stops amazing me. He can play the most evil guy on the planet and turn around and make you laugh your silly butt off. That's talent!

luvtolisten
06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
My pops, god rest his soul, was fairly unsophisticated about entertainment. Considering he died in 1993 at age 91 I guess it's understandable. He liked certain shows, "The Fugitive" was a weekly staple as was "The Untouchables". Genre's were secondary to him as were TV guides. Now you must remember we lived in a time of THREE networks and about 4 or 5 indie stations. You found out what was on by either the guide in the Sunday Paper or the TV guide. Miss either and it was turn the dial with NO REMOTE, unless you count us kids.

"Boy, get up and change the channel."

"Yes dad." mumble grumble etc...

One of my dad's fave sayings was:

"Boy find me a Shoot Em Up."

This meant I had to find something on the tube with copious amounts of gunplay and physical violence. Back then it was pretty easy as westerns were still a staple of nightly T.V. In addition to the "oat burners" we also had cop shows out the ying yang. Dad was rarely dissappointed.

Da Worfster
Hi Worf,
I enjoyed your story about your dad, reminded me of my "dear 'ol dad'. Us kids were also my dad's remotes. After we changed the channel to his liking, his favorite thing to say was "while your up there, pump a little color into that set" My dad liked watching TV in "radioactive mode" I guess he felt he paid extra for color, and by gosh he was going to see it. I remember you never messed with dad's Saturday night line up. He was a creature of habit. There was this new show on back then, everyone was talking about, "Get Smart" with Don Adams. My brother and I didn't have a chance to see it, until it was one of those rare Saturday nights, my dad and mom were going out. Finally, my brother and I had total control of the TV. We decided we were going to watch "Get Smart". Dear 'ol dad came home about 10 minutes into the show. I was only 12, but I could see the wheels turning in his head. The big shows back then were "Secret Agent Man", "I Spy", "Man From UNCLE" etc. As you probably remember "Get Smart" was a spoof of all those shows. Finally my dad asked my brother, "what in the hell are we watching?" My brother looked in in the eye and said "Get Smart!" Dear 'ol dad blew a gasket. "Don't you tell me to "get smart" you @#%$#". That was also the day my brother David found out he could finally out run my dad. Strange thing is, after everything settled down, my dad actually like the show (usual for him, since he never really liked comedy sit coms), so much so,it became part of THE Saturday night line up. As long as it didn't interfere with "Gunsmoke" of course.

Worf101
06-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Worf,
I enjoyed your story about your dad, reminded me of my "dear 'ol dad'. Us kids were also my dad's remotes. After we changed the channel to his liking, his favorite thing to say was "while your up there, pump a little color into that set" My dad liked watching TV in "radioactive mode" I guess he felt he paid extra for color, and by gosh he was going to see it. I remember you never messed with dad's Saturday night line up. He was a creature of habit. There was this new show on back then, everyone was talking about, "Get Smart" with Don Adams. My brother and I didn't have a chance to see it, until it was one of those rare Saturday nights, my dad and mom were going out. Finally, my brother and I had total control of the TV. We decided we were going to watch "Get Smart". Dear 'ol dad came home about 10 minutes into the show. I was only 12, but I could see the wheels turning in his head. The big shows back then were "Secret Agent Man", "I Spy", "Man From UNCLE" etc. As you probably remember "Get Smart" was a spoof of all those shows. Finally my dad asked my brother, "what in the hell are we watching?" My brother looked in in the eye and said "Get Smart!" Dear 'ol dad blew a gasket. "Don't you tell me to "get smart" you @#%$#". That was also the day my brother David found out he could finally out run my dad. Strange thing is, after everything settled down, my dad actually like the show (usual for him, since he never really liked comedy sit coms), so much so,it became part of THE Saturday night line up. As long as it didn't interfere with "Gunsmoke" of course.
Absolutely brilliant recount. My sides hurt right now. The men of that era were amazing. What they went though and still did the right thing by us kids. Priceless man. Tried to give you some green chicklet love but it wouldn't allow it. Salute and thanks for sharing.

Da "wistful" Worfster