resurgence of the concept album (article) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : resurgence of the concept album (article)

3LB
06-09-2009, 11:34 AM
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2009/06/07/a_concept_whose_time_has_come____again/

will prog be far behind?

:aureola:

Finch Platte
06-09-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2009/06/07/a_concept_whose_time_has_come____again/

will prog be far behind?

:aureola:

Wotinell is your sig supposed to mean? I can't figure it out. :confused:

3LB
06-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Wotinell is your sig supposed to mean? I can't figure it out. :confused:

my attempt at describing my first experience with shrooms...while still on shrooms...oh so many years ago.

the George Carlin quote is self-inflammatory

kexodusc
06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, prog acts never really left the concept album. Nine Inch Nails was ahead of the curve on this, and I'll give Green Day some props too.

I love the concept album because I find usually it forces the artist to put thought into the entire album rather than just add some filler to round off the LP.

Sometimes they fail so miserably to meet the grand expectations their writers had envisioned and can really be among the most disappointing albums in an artist's catalog.

"Be" by Pain of Salvation comes to mind. There's 3 or 4 good tunes, and the idea is a bit interesting, but damn to listen to that from beginning to end takes a lot of whiskey.

Finch Platte
06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
the George Carlin quote is self-inflammatory

Heh. That's the one I meant. Lame joke. :smilewinkgrin:

3LB
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
"Be" by Pain of Salvation comes to mind. There's 3 or 4 good tunes, and the idea is a bit interesting, but damn to listen to that from beginning to end takes a lot of whiskey.

Exactly...and particularly that album. I was really getting into POS then I tried to listen to that. What a mess.

And yer right, prog never ditched the concept album for better or worse, but I doubt that will ever make mainstream print.

kexodusc
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Exactly...and particularly that album. I was really getting into POS then I tried to listen to that. What a mess.

And yer right, prog never ditched the concept album for better or worse, but I doubt that will ever make mainstream print.
Yeah, those last 2 POS albums were POS. (yeah, I went there).

I give full props to more mainstream pop-rock acts that try to write concept albums. It's a bit more risky, especially in today's fast-food world where it's all about the hit-track.

Can't wait for the new Dave Matthews Band concept album about a group of elementary school kids who survive a nuclear attack and venture out into a fallout-world.