Any new music to get excited about? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any new music to get excited about?

3LB
06-09-2009, 07:14 AM
I've heard the new Grizzly Bear, and I have to say I'm rather impressed.

The same aesthetic is there from the last one Yellow House, but this is a much more focused effort. Veckatimest is much more song oriented, and the ideas are much more fleshed out and the psychadelic flourishes better realized than the whistful meandering and noise-as-art of Yellow House. On this new one, there's an organic feel to the music, and attention to song craft which shines through the production, instead of being lost in it.

Grizzly Bear isn't the only act out this year with a throwback, paen to '60s psychadelic pop (ala Beach Boys, Zombies, early Pink Floyd). Animal Collective came out earlier with theirs, Merriweather Post Pavilion, but IMO, its a mess compared to Veckatimest. Not that Veckatimest doesn't have its schitzoid moments, but these have been reined in, and the style and aesthetic doesn't over shadow the songs, like it does for most of Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Grizzly Bear sound like they are actually channeling Brian Wilson or Sid Barrett instead of just aping Mercury Rev. It was hard for me sit through Merriweather Post Pavillion, and Veckatimest is over before I know it.

Davey
06-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Wow, I wonder if they realize this site is a mess right now with Mozilla if you are not logged in?

Anyhow, just wanted to say everything you just said, but you already did. Fun record, wish it was mastered a little quieter (or maybe a lot quieter), but I like it much better than Merriweather too. Surprisingly adventurous, while at the same time being very accessible. Kind of like the Dodos record from last year, but on a grander scale. Looking forward to the new Circulatory System record in a coupla months. Hope it sounds kind of like this too, but I'm sure it won't be quite as upbeat....

Circulatory System - Signal Morning (CLD010) - release date: Aug. 4, 2009
Seven and a half years in the making, culled from hours of recorded material sculpted in at least seven different studios, the new Circulatory System album is an absolutely stellar document of song and sound. Still concerned with matters of the inner / the outer, the incomprehensibly huge and the very, very small. An imperative blast of kinetic motion, composed by W. Cullen Hart while in the midst of battling Multiple Sclerosis within his own system - broadcasting his urgent pleas to the world(s) to evolve into a higher dimension or for existing patterns to reveal themselves at peace within the natural order of the universe.

Hyfi
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I have been enjoying Morglbe (missing dots over the o)

I have their first disk Grotesk and the most recent release called Jazz for the Deaf.

But it's fusion so never mind.

3LB
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I have been enjoying Morglbe (missing dots over the o)

I have their first disk Grotesk and the most recent release called Jazz for the Deaf.
But it's fusion so never mind.

How fusion is it?

Slosh
06-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Hmmm, well, I just got the new Son Volt (American Central Dust for those keeping score). Haven't listened all the way through yet but it sounds like most other Son Volt albums. Too early to tell if it excites me yet.

If you like Grandaddy check out Jason Lytle's new solo album, Yours Truly, The Commuter. I like it a lot personally.

Likewise the new John Vanderslice album (Romanian Names) is very good, assuming you're already a fan I mean.

And those two 'dark night' compilations are pretty decent, although it looks like the Sparklehorse one may never see the light of day (in official form, anyway).

Supposedly Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers' All You Need To Sleep and Richard Davies' Tonight's Music are done and will get released later this year. Those are the two I've been most looking forward to.

Of course the new Wilco and Future Of The Left albums get released later this month, but anyone that wanted to hear either of those could have listened to them weeks ago.

Hyfi
06-09-2009, 09:09 AM
How fusion is it?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IxVMJS47vug&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IxVMJS47vug&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVrwDJoSe80&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVrwDJoSe80&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ForeverAutumn
06-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Of course the new Wilco and Future Of The Left albums get released later this month, but anyone that wanted to hear either of those could have listened to them weeks ago.

New Wilco (am I the only one who didn't know?) already? It seems like Sky Blue Sky just came out.

I was really looking forward to the new Green Day disk. It was a little disappointing but I don't know why I'm surprised. Really, how do you follow up American Idiot? It's not a bad disk, but it's just more of the same, sitting somewhere between American Idiot and Warning.

I know that no one else here cares, but I'm looking forward to the new Dream Theater disk in a couple of weeks.

3LB
06-09-2009, 09:26 AM
That second tune reminds me of Satriani a bit.

3LB
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Looks like I might be getting the new Dredg disc tonight (I have a small trade pile going). Might even have enough to swing for two CDs (but I doubt it). I've now heard two songs off the new Dredg CD and I'd say I like what I hear so far.

Also, another band that I became interested in a few months ago, The Sounds, is coming out with a new album. I have a couple of songs downloaded from their last CD from 2006...you know, the '80s neo-wave pastiche song in the Geico Caveman commercial Hurt You - "Don't want ot hurt you, tried not to mess with your feelings". The two or three songs I have hit me just as the paen to '80s new wave Hot Hot Heat album did (Make Up The Breakdown), which was a great nostalgia trip, but only lasted one album as they tried to morph into The Strokes on their next two albums.

I'll need to hear it before I buy it though. Could just be the next in an already long line of neo-wavers that have popped up in the last few years. And I already have so much rocker-chick stuff, oddly enough (Land Of Talk, Bat For Lashes, Super700, Asobi Seksu).

jonnyhambone
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Just saw Grizzly Bear 2 nights ago- gorgeous show though I liked the tunes they did from Yellow House a lot more than the new ones...they seemed to feel more free to let loose, not as formulaic a re-creation of the Veckatamist versions. Little Brother was esp. excellent- sorta loping and heavy like the way they recorded it on their Friends ep.
I actually love the new Animal Collective...glad to have it on vinyl 'cause one or two sides is plenty in a sitting but those Beach Boys-y harmonies and summer dub-by beats are pretty great imo. Love the Grizz. Bear and looking forward to the new Magnolia Elec. Co.-Josephine. They're rolling thru town in Aug. at a tiny venue. Should be good.

Davey
06-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I actually love the new Animal Collective...glad to have it on vinyl 'cause one or two sides is plenty in a sitting

Yea, that's the rub with me, just too much of the same sound, but it is a great sound in smaller doses. I just tend to lose interest after a while unless it's something that gets into the part of my brain I live in most of the time. Cheery pop music isn't quite in that place, but fun still.

New Magnolia Electric Co? Now that's some good news. Hadn't heard about it, but I'm liking the thought of that. New Hellsayers, new CS, might be a good year after all.

3LB
06-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Yea, that's the rub with me, just too much of the same sound, but it is a great sound in smaller doses. I just tend to lose interest after a while unless it's something that gets into the part of my brain I live in most of the time. Cheery pop music isn't quite in that place, but fun still.

My problem with it is the same as you...too samey from song to song, almost enough so that putting on MP3 rotation only works as long as its a high capacity device. As for cheery pop music, I don't think the Animal Collective songs are all that strong. Other aesthetic driven acts like Fleet Foxes or Grizzly Bear, you could remove the reverb and period-piece flourishes and still have the song intact, while with Animal Collective, the aesthetic style is the song.

jonnyhambone
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
New Magnolia Electric Co? Now that's some good news. Hadn't heard about it, but I'm liking the thought of that.

yep, they're a pretty recent find for me so I'm psyched too. Here (http://jonhamilton.blogspot.com/2009/06/gorgeous-lil-video-of-live-magnolia.html)'s a nice lil' couple songs from a recent show in Chicago where they play some new stuff.

agreed with the 'song-ness' of Animal Collective stuff...it'd be kinda silly to do a cover of an A.C. song but still, that atmosphere of psychedelic harmony-drenched beats is what I love 'about their stuff anyways.

3LB
06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I got a couple of new releases in my sights...the new Doves album (now a few months old by now) and the new one from eels, Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs of Desire, which also sounded to my liking even though I've only heard three or four tracks.

I did manage to get that new Dredg album and it was definitely worth unloading a few unwanted CDs.

jonnyhambone
06-27-2009, 01:10 PM
just picked up the new Sonic Youth, The Eternal. These guys are one of my favorite bands ever...not in love with the last few releases (Sonic Nurse, Rather Ripped) but still Really good. I just find myself listening to Sister, EVOL, and Daydream Nation quite a bit more.
The new one is on a lovely vinyl press ala' Matador - which I think has been putting out some nice sounding, very quiet, vinyl lately (the last Yo La Tengo was excellent in sound I thought). I've read the compression is way up on this one, but after just 2 spins through it so far, this sounds great to me. Excellent songs too - seems like there are alot of multi-vocal harmonies going on btwn. the crew (w/ Pavement's Mark Ibold doing bass duties and freeing up Kim G. to sing a lot and play some rhythm guitar...I think). There's a good balance of pop-py song-smithing going on with some gorgeous forays into atmosphere and noise (so far side one with Sacred Trickster, Anti-Orgasm, and the very sweet Leaky Lifeboat is a perfect triumvirate of SY songs for the new millenium). They are very much SY-sounding but it's fresh and rich...something I think I'll be spinning a lot in the next weeks and, hopefully, for awhile coming.

noddin0ff
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm digging The Heartless Bastards these days. Hadn't head them before, picked it up based on reviews I stumbled on. Country Punk/Inde I guess. I kinda triangulate it somewhere between Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, and Cat Power. It's rough around the edges, uneven, not every track is a winner but there's some good sounds in there. Partial to 'Be So Happy'

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H1y3LzSWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Swish
06-28-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm digging The Heartless Bastards these days. Hadn't head them before, picked it up based on reviews I stumbled on. Country Punk/Inde I guess. I kinda triangulate it somewhere between Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, and Cat Power. It's rough around the edges, uneven, not every track is a winner but there's some good sounds in there. Partial to 'Be So Happy'

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H1y3LzSWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
...we there a couple weeks ago, but we didn't get to see them, ditto Steve Earle.

Swish
06-28-2009, 09:47 AM
New Wilco (am I the only one who didn't know?) already? It seems like Sky Blue Sky just came out.

I was really looking forward to the new Green Day disk. It was a little disappointing but I don't know why I'm surprised. Really, how do you follow up American Idiot? It's not a bad disk, but it's just more of the same, sitting somewhere between American Idiot and Warning.

I know that no one else here cares, but I'm looking forward to the new Dream Theater disk in a couple of weeks.

...and Tweedy is so prolific you have to wonder what took so long! Needless to say, I have it on pre-order with DeepDiscount so I'll have it in early July.

Swish
06-28-2009, 09:50 AM
...which is getting rave reviews everywhere (saw a 9.2 on Pitchfork). It's being compared to Animal Collective only better, which is a good thing in my book since I find A.C. rather annoying. I've spun Bitte Orca about 5 or 6 times and, while it won't be my favorite of the year, it's pretty good and quite a departure from my normal tastes. Sonically it's very good as well.

bobsticks
06-28-2009, 10:06 AM
...we there a couple weeks ago, but we didn't get to see them, ditto Steve Earle...we were busy at the Lawrence Welk Tribute.

Fixed

Swish
06-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Fixed

You slack shouldered sack 'o nuts.

Slosh
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
How did this slip under my radar? New EP:

Swish
06-29-2009, 03:53 AM
How did this slip under my radar? New EP:

...interview and they were supposedly heading to New York after that show to work on their next CD. I'm guessing the songs on this EP were the new and unfamiliar ones they played during that show.

Slosh
06-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Tracklist:http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/screen0-1.jpg

As you can see I only have it as mp3 but tomorrow I should have a vinyl copy to spin. Hopefully we'll get a proper album before too long.

bobsticks
06-29-2009, 06:39 PM
You slack shouldered sack 'o nuts.

I am not slack shouldered.

Slosh
06-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Okay, so Got Nuffin isn't really anything to get excited about. First song is decent, "Tweakers" (both versions) are just drum tracks (maybe they'll be used for a fleshed-out song later), and "Stroke Their Brains" is all right too but half the track is silence (I hate when bands do that).

I'm giving this a pass unless I find it used in the dollar bin.

Mr MidFi
06-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Okay, so Got Nuffin isn't really anything to get excited about. First song is decent, "Tweakers" (both versions) are just drum tracks (maybe they'll be used for a fleshed-out song later), and "Stroke Their Brains" is all right too but half the track is silence (I hate when bands do that).

I'm giving this a pass unless I find it used in the dollar bin.

Thanks for the heads-up, man. I think I'm content to wait until a proper ceedee release.

I have the official Wilco release in my hands now, but an office environment is no place to crank it. I'll have to head back to the post-industrial bunker where the graphic designers live and give it a proper listen.

Slosh
06-30-2009, 08:17 AM
I have the official Wilco release in my hands now, but an office environment is no place to crank it. I'll have to head back to the post-industrial bunker where the graphic designers live and give it a proper listen.I'm claiming "I'll Fight" for my YEC :D

Mr MidFi
06-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm claiming "I'll Fight" for my YEC :D

Damn. OK, you got there first.

I'm squatting on "Bull Black Nova" for now.

jonnyhambone
07-07-2009, 07:30 AM
New Califone? Yep...just read in everyone's favorite music site :yesnod: that they signed to Dead Oceans and have a new one coming out in Oct. It's loosely a soundtrack to Tim Rutilli's first film project and sounds like they'll be playing live accompaniment to the film in upcoming shows...or sumptin' like that. I'll be looking forward to it.
Califone - 'All My Friends Are Funeral Singers' (http://pitchfork.com/news/35830-califone-sign-to-dead-oceans/)

Also, I just pre-ordered the new Magnolia Electric Co. lp - Josephine from the Secretly Canadian site...gave me a free d/l of it which I've listened to once or twice and really like. A few songs that grab right away and some others that I imagine will grow as the better songs sometimes do. Reminds me, oddly, of Warren Zevon more than Neil Young on this one. The tune Whippor-will is very nice indeed.

Slosh
07-13-2009, 11:36 PM
First spin:

bobsticks
07-14-2009, 06:57 AM
This is the kind of thread that so dearly I miss...

3LB
07-14-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm claiming "I'll Fight" for my YEC

I'm squatting on "Bull Black Nova" for now.

Then I'm marking You Never Know (Wilco) for my future YEC.
This tune sounds like it could be from an old World Party album, complete with its bouncy piano driven tempo and George Harrisonesque wha-wha rif***e. Stellar.

I'll Fight is very reminiscent of On And On And On from the last album though, not that that's a bad thing.

You And I is a duet with Feist - pretty good.

Bull Black Nova hints at a little bit of past experimentalism, but is still fairly catchy...maybe even a little like classic Steely Dan to a degree.

Over all, this album is rather pop oriented, where SBS sounded like classic rock. Hardly any twang and mostly mid-tempo or faster songs, there is no grinding meander, nor are there songs or moments that suggest Tweedy is about to blow his brains out. Fans of massive guitar distortion, microphone feedback, 10 minutes of amp noise and other similar artistic statements of past albums might find it a tad 'safe'. Maybe Tweedy doesn't plow any new dirt, but good music is good music. I guess he doesn't feel the need to push the boundaries of a genre that still few people know or cares exists (alt-country), he just makes music he likes...I like it too.

Auricauricle
07-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Call me "Johnny Come Lately", but I finally got a Bon Iver disc: For Emma Forever Ago.

Wow.

Just wow.

3LB
07-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Call me "Johnny Come Lately", but I finally got a Bon Iver disc: For Emma Forever Ago.

Wow.

Just wow.

Good stuff...have you ever checked out Shearwater or Midlake?

Auricauricle
07-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Not yet. This was my first intro, brought to me by my good neighbor and his brother when they came over the other night for tunes and brews....They any bit as good as For Emma...?

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Then I'm marking You Never Know (Wilco) for my future YEC.
This tune sounds like it could be from an old World Party album, complete with its bouncy piano driven tempo and George Harrisonesque wha-wha rif***e. Stellar.

I'll Fight is very reminiscent of On And On And On from the last album though, not that that's a bad thing.

You And I is a duet with Feist - pretty good.

Bull Black Nova hints at a little bit of past experimentalism, but is still fairly catchy...maybe even a little like classic Steely Dan to a degree.

So what y'all are saying is that I shouldn't spend money on the new Wilco disk, I should just wait for all the YECs and then piece it together for free. :thumbsup:

3LB
07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
So what y'all are saying is that I shouldn't spend money on the new Wilco disk, I should just wait for all the YECs and then piece it together for free.

I was able to do that with the last DCFC what with all the comps I got from Nobody, Davey, Swishy, Sloshy, Finchy and You.

;)

ForeverAutumn
07-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I was able to do that with the last DCFC what with all the comps I got from Nobody, Davey, Swishy, Sloshy, Finchy and You.

;)

Not me. That last DCFC sucked IMO. I bought it but was rescued by SuperFinch who sent me a link to hear it before I opened the disk. Upon hearing the link, the disk went back to the store.

3LB
07-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Not me. That last DCFC sucked IMO.

(see winky)

Swish
07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
So what y'all are saying is that I shouldn't spend money on the new Wilco disk, I should just wait for all the YECs and then piece it together for free. :thumbsup:

My wife loves it, especially because everyone calls her Cath.

Auricauricle
07-15-2009, 06:24 AM
At the local coffee shop, the boys are crazy on the new Eminem release. Any thoughts?

3LB
07-15-2009, 08:27 AM
Eminem was good for chuckle every now and then, but just like any other rap act, I couldn't last through more than half a CD.

I haven't heard his new one.

3LB
07-15-2009, 08:37 AM
That last DCFC sucked IMO

I liked it OK. It wasn't their strongest effort, but as Swish has eluded to, it did have some keepers - Cath for one, and I do like Long Division. Lyrically speaking, it lacked the depth of previous efforts. I appreciated that they didn't make yet another weepy album.

shokhead
07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Porcupine Tree will be releasing their new album THE INCIDENT on 21st September,

3LB
07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Porcupine Tree will be releasing their new album THE INCIDENT on 21st September,

Reportedly a 55 minute song cycle (not a 55 minute long song) or in other words, a theme album.

I hope its different from their last two outings, especially the last one, Fear Of A Blank Planet. I don't mind extended instrumentals and multi-movement pieces and all that prog stuff, but FoaBP came across a tad jammy in the sense that the instrumental sections were extended beyond my interest with little deviation or satisfying conclusion. And the album had a sameness from song to song.

Deadwing (2005) pushed the limits with its extended pieces as well, a couple of them way overlong, but that album had some nice concise rockers that made their point and moved on. FoaBP left these types of songs out. Sentimental was a great track even at over 7 minutes and the string arrangements on the last track, Sleep Together, was a great idea, but the song took forever to takeoff, only to finish somewhat anti-climatically.

It seems Wilson might be (IMO) spreading himself thin twix Blackfield and PT, and I'd rather see PT win out. Those concise, uptempo rockers, wistful ballads and the occassional pop number that used to flesh out PT albums in the past were sorely missed on FoaBP (again, my opinion). Wilson's solo projects from the last few years (Blackfield, No-man) and his solo album Insurgentes left me flat. I sure hope he finds a new direction soon.

As has been pointed out before, this heavier melodic-metal direction PT took with the release of In Absentia, while fresh at one time, is starting to sound samey and lethargic. It doesn't mean I dislike FoaBP or Deadwing, but why buy the same album twice? FoaBP gave me the feeling I did just that.

shokhead
07-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reviews but I was just putting down any new music to get excited about. The excited part is up to the buyer.

3LB
07-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the reviews but I was just putting down any new music to get excited about. The excited part is up to the buyer.

I'm not sayin'...I just sayin'

:14:

bobsticks
07-15-2009, 07:09 PM
At the local coffee shop, the boys are crazy on the new Eminem release. Any thoughts?

Here's all ye need know...if'n yer really interested just lemme know, i can get you comps of the style with a more complete view of the genre than one ICP-lite album...

<object width="340" height="285"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kXPQBuymDjY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kXPQBuymDjY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="340" height="285"></embed></object>

Auricauricle
07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Cheerful stuff! See he took a little from Thomas Harris, there! Thanks!

3LB
07-16-2009, 02:29 PM
This was my first intro, brought to me by my good neighbor and his brother when they came over the other night for tunes and brews....They any bit as good as For Emma...?

Hells yeah. I liked Bon Iver a lot. I liked Shearwater's Rook album just as much, I liked Shearwater's Palo Santo more, and I love Midlake's The Trials Of Van Occupanther. Fleet Foxes has the same quaint old timey sentimental sound of Bon Iver, only with massive reverb.

Vanoccupanther is a tad bit reminiscent of Genesis two albums from '76, Trick Of The Tail and Wind And Wuthering, or Fleetwood Mac's Bare Trees, but doesn't sound terribly retro either. Shearwater is like Bon Iver...on steroids, i.e. much more contrasts betwix mellow and dramatic.

shokhead
07-17-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm not sayin'...I just sayin'

:14:
:thumbsup:

Dave_G
07-22-2009, 10:51 AM
The new Karmakanic.

3LB
08-11-2009, 12:13 PM
The new Karmakanic.

You like Transatlantic? There's a third in the final stages of production.

tentoze
08-14-2009, 03:45 AM
The new Joe Henry, Blood From Stars, is already in the running for my record of the year. Channels a bit of T. Waits. The whole album is streaming on npr.

noddin0ff
08-14-2009, 04:15 AM
The new Joe Henry, Blood From Stars, is already in the running for my record of the year. Channels a bit of T. Waits. The whole album is streaming on npr.

Nice. I'm listening now. The link to the whole album on NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111778232)

Jim Clark
09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
The Band: We Were Promised Jetpacks

The album: These Four Walls

The Genre: Scottish Indie Pop/Post Punk

RIYL: Twilight Sad, Bloc Party (the first album), and good music in general : )

I've been playing this pretty regularly for about a month now and it completely rules. Top 5 year end disc fer shure. Unless you're a full time progger you should check out some samples : )

jc
(and just like that - he's gone again!)