A question about the new DREDG CD: The Pariah... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A question about the new DREDG CD: The Pariah...

Demetrio
06-09-2009, 04:29 AM
I like this band a lot and loved the audio quality of their second release, El Cielo (2002), one of the best sounding recordings in the genre IMO. Unfortunately, though, on their third release (Catch Without Arms - 2005) the band seemed to have adopted the pernicious philosophy of the "LOUDER IS BETTER", so I am somewhat worried about their new album, The Pariah, The Parrot, the Delusion.

So, to those who have already listened to this, how is the audio quality of this recording?

Thanks,
Demetrio.

Kevio
06-09-2009, 06:09 AM
I haven't heard the CD you're talking about but I've been hearing the LOUDER IS BETTER factor continued to be applied on all manner of recordings. I've been waiting for people to get sick of it but I turned blue and I've stopped holding my breath. Sad.

3LB
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I doubt that the 'louder is better' philosophy will ever die, or at least not for a long time. As long as "the suits" think its selling CDs, it'll never change.

That being said, I have heard one song off this one (it was a promo copy in the record store) and I'd say the modern mastering process was used on this one as well. I don't know which song it was for sure (I think it was Ireland?), but it was familiar. Not enough to form an opinion on, but nothing that jumped out at me either.

I'll prolly pick it up...someday.

Kevio
06-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I doubt that the 'louder is better' philosophy will ever die, or at least not for a long time. As long as "the suits" think its selling CDs, it'll never change.Don't blame "the suits" a lot of the push comes directly from the artists. It is a fact that loudness trumps almost all other factors when "sound quality" is assessed. The only people trying to fight this are the engineers.