Recording DVR?...anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recording DVR?...anyone?

bobsticks
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
So I've hooked this here AT&T U-Verse dealio...and it is good and it is right. Thus far I'm enjoying the convenience and the quality but I suspect I'm rapidly approaching the limit of my DVR capabilities. How would one DL to disc? Please, keep it simple for us technologically-challenged folk...

Mr Peabody
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Do you have U-verse? I've not seen one of those yet. From what some one told me the hard drive is not built in, I guess some type of web storage.

I used to just go from an A/V output, composite, and record with a DVD recorder. My cable box wouldn't down sample though, so things I knew I might keep I had to make a point of recording in SD.

I'm not sure if any type of computer interface. I know Dishnet has an output for external hard drive for additional storage. I suspect no one will allow recording HD.

pixelthis
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I use SVHS connection to a DVD recorder (when its working).
The pq is SD but very good as a rule.
Better than the old timey VHS recorders.:1:

BallinWithNash
06-08-2009, 09:50 PM
so what you can do is get an adapter like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041901&p_id=2398&seq=1&format=2&style=
and plug the uverse into it then hook the adapter up to ur pc and record it on your pc ... then onto a DVD disc or whatever .... no quality would be lost using this adapter.

Kevio
06-09-2009, 06:21 AM
Wrong direction. You'd actually need something like this (http://www.shopping.com/xPP-input_adapters--component_video_in-17884_usb_2_0). There will be a loss in quality and you'll need a lot of patience to do the transfers.

My TiVO has the option to offload recordings via WiFi to a computer with no loss of quality. There have been DVRs with DVD recorders built in.

Even with these streamlined implementations the process takes patience. My advice is to make good use of the the delete button. You have been warned.

Woochifer
06-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Unfortunately, your options are to either off-load your programs onto a video capture device (DVD recorder, VCR, computer video capture card, etc.) in real time, or go with a bigger hard drive ... if your DVR allows for it. Most DVRs don't allow for direct transfer of the digital video files. The DVR on my parents' LG TV has a Firewire output, but here too I believe that the video transfers can only be done as a real time video capture.

As Kevio said, learn to use the delete button. As the hard drive space on my DVR got gobbled up in huge chunks, I figured out very quickly which programs I must keep and which ones are expendable. With my DVR, I know that I can add hard drive space by simply plugging in an external USB drive. But, when that happens the internal drive gets disabled and all of the data is automatically transferred to the external drive, so it's not like you're just adding on.

BadAssJazz
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I can only speak to the Comcast DVR, since U-verse is not available in my neck of the woods yet. I read somewhere ( here, probably http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp ) that the Comcast DVR has only a 120 GB hard drive. That's it. With 1 TB drives on the market for not much more than $100, you'd think they would either upgrade these units or allow customers to attach an external drive. 120GB is not nearly enough, especially during football season. My DVR runs out of space after just a weekend or two.

bobsticks
06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
It sounds like without Jerri-rigging it I'm S.O.L....thanks anyway guys