Family outing [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Family outing

thekid
06-07-2009, 03:33 AM
My brother was tired of hearing about the gear I have been scoring at the local thrifts in my area so he came down this weekend and with my son we made the rounds. I was a little worried we would not find anything but eventually he scored a Sony C77ES CDP for $30 and a pair of Genesis 10 speakers for $20. I picked up a autographed Scott Cossu CD (I never walk waay from any Windham Hill recordings) for $1 and my son scored a couple of Clancy Brother LP's so all and all it was not a bad day. The Sony is in near mint condition and plays/funtions flawlessly though the remote is missing. The Genesis drivers are all original though the veneer needs a good cleaning.

thekid
06-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Correction to my first post. The speakers he picked up (after some convincing by me) was a more rare pair of Genesis 110's. They are similar to the 10's but they have a 10" woofer instead of an 8". Here is a link;

http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen110.htm

luvtolisten
06-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Nice score! You've got me thinking about hitting the thrifts in my area. A friend of mine had a pair of Genesis's with the 8' woofer. He loved his.

Auricauricle
06-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Much of the gear that I have obtained has been found in local thrifts or online. It's a great way to find excellent stuff and save a few bucks in the process. Congratulations on the finds and good luck on the future hunts!

pixelthis
06-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I find it hard to beleive that those are the original mid/bass deivers in those Genesis speakers, I had a pair of those ("8) and the rubber totally disapeared in a decade.
Still sounded okay tho.
Besides those don't look like the originals.:1:

thekid
06-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I find it hard to beleive that those are the original mid/bass deivers in those Genesis speakers, I had a pair of those ("8) and the rubber totally disapeared in a decade.
Still sounded okay tho.
Besides those don't look like the originals.:1:

Ah ye of little faith......... :)
They may have been refoamed over the years (hopefully that is the case) but if so it was done correctly as there is no obvious signs of it. I am 99% positive that these are the original woofers but it will be up to brother to remove the woofer if he wants to verify. SQ they sound very good so IMO leave the woofers in there and enjoy.

pixelthis
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Ah ye of little faith......... :)
They may have been refoamed over the years (hopefully that is the case) but if so it was done correctly as there is no obvious signs of it. I am 99% positive that these are the original woofers but it will be up to brother to remove the woofer if he wants to verify. SQ they sound very good so IMO leave the woofers in there and enjoy.

Nothing wrong with replacements, but those are blue.
The big deal for Genesis was the tweeters anyway, very precise.
Seems like you got a good deal.:1:

Worf101
06-09-2009, 06:05 AM
You're my hero... sniff sniff...

Any chance that you'd actually adopt me???!!! Eh?

I eat alot but I'm cheap home security!!!

Da Worsfter

thekid
06-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Worf- I'd gladly take you in but the garage is full of speakers and I find I spend half of my nights on the couch already........... :)