dyn vs vsa : question for topspeed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : dyn vs vsa : question for topspeed

nusiclover
03-20-2004, 08:33 PM
hello topspeed. i read a thread by you that told of the vr1. i just heard them. they are truely awesome monitors. But, i have the 52se on order. bad thing is that different dealers carry dynaudio and von schweikert (maybe because they dont want these two compared for we would then really know). so, seeing that i cant compare the two side by side i was wondering if youve had the pleasure. i appreciate your comments. thank you.

topspeed
03-20-2004, 11:33 PM
hello topspeed. i read a thread by you that told of the vr1. i just heard them. they are truely awesome monitors. But, i have the 52se on order. bad thing is that different dealers carry dynaudio and von schweikert (maybe because they dont want these two compared for we would then really know). so, seeing that i cant compare the two side by side i was wondering if youve had the pleasure. i appreciate your comments. thank you.

Hi Nusic,

Unfortunately, I didn't hear the VR1's and Danes in the same room with the same front end so any observations are pretty much invalid. I was able to compare them directly with the JM Lab's and obviously they were more to my liking. After hearing the Temptations and a few models within the Contour line, I have to say that Dynaudio is simply not my cup of tea. I always find them to be a little too cold and clinical for me. The VSA sound is warmer and more involving IMO. And their off-axis response is just crazy!

Here's an example of what I mean by "involving." I spent the afternoon at a good friend's new music room so he could show off his new toys, in particular a new CJ amp that he recently bought. He was previously running a pair of Odyssey Stratos amps and the difference was significant. The Odyssey's tended to be a bit etched and put definition ahead of musicality. You listened to the recording. The CJ amp was far sweeter but not in a syrupy kind of way. The best compliment I could think of was that I wasn't listening critically anymore because I was compelled to close my eyes and tap my foot. I was completely immersed in the music. Personally, that's the way I like it to be but everyone has their own sense of what's musically correct.

That said, there are a ton of people that swear by Dynaudio (rightfully so, I might add) and I know you really like them. My advice is to not second guess yourself. If they blew you away once, they'll keep the smile on your face :). I'm glad you like the VR1's too. Interesting little speaks, huh?