Question About Arcam CD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question About Arcam CD Player

moretus
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
I have an older ARCAM single disc CD player made in 1994, I can't find a model number on the unit. The unit powers up but it does not seem to recognize that it has a CD inserted in it. I've tried cleaning the lens with a CD cleaning disc, any ideas of anything else I could try?

Is this unit a decent enough unit to spend the money to have someone look at fixing it or should I just replace it?

Any opinions would be appreciated?

Hyfi
06-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I have an older ARCAM single disc CD player made in 1994, I can't find a model number on the unit. The unit powers up but it does not seem to recognize that it has a CD inserted in it. I've tried cleaning the lens with a CD cleaning disc, any ideas of anything else I could try?

Is this unit a decent enough unit to spend the money to have someone look at fixing it or should I just replace it?

Any opinions would be appreciated?

I have the same problem with a Marantz se67. I opened it up and verified that the motor did not spin the disk so it is not recognized. Most CDPs use a similar drive mechanism made by only a few MFGs so replacement of the drive may not bee so bad. I am considering doing it with my Marantz because it has to be cheaper than replacing the whole unit.

Doc Sage
06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
The laser light that allow to read the information on a CD has a limited time life. If you have been using your player regularly for the past 15 years, you got a very good value from your investment. IMHO, it is time for you to invest in a new, or newer, unit.

Doc Sage

Mr Peabody
06-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Arcam builds a stellar CD player but there has been huge improvements in digital since 94, buy a new one. Stick with Arcam though, unless you plan to spend major dollars anything else you buy will just disappoint. I'm not sure if they still offer a $699.00 unit since bringing everything under the FMJ umbrella, that's where they used to start though. If not afraid to buy used you can probably find a good buy on Audiogon.com

audio amateur
06-06-2009, 08:00 AM
I own a CD73 & they retailed for around 600 bucks 5 years ago. A solid second hand buy for sure.