recomendations for a new pair of computer speakers + sound card [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : recomendations for a new pair of computer speakers + sound card

bobp
06-02-2009, 03:04 AM
hi
i have recently built a new computer and am looking for a pair of 5.1 or 7.1 speakeers for home theater gaming and music listening. i hav onboard sound up to 7.1 but recently bought a x-fi music player and was imprssed with the sound coming from it- (note- not headphone difference i was using a nice pair already) so i want to buy a soundcard along similar quality lines.
what do people recomend for speakers?- a mainly use the speakers for gaming and movies.
do i invest in a new soundcard?
my budget is up to a 150 pound absoulte maximum.
bobp

02audionoob
06-02-2009, 04:57 AM
The Logitech speaker systems are generally the best for gaming and movies as compared to cost. Cost is certainly a major issue on the tight budget you've given. You could perhaps take a look at the Logitech G51 system and a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi card. The speakers might cost you the entire budget, in which case I suppose I'd go with the speakers and not upgrade the card.

bobp
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
thanks
my budget can prob stretch to that depending on imcome over summer hols

edit: i only see some £89 speakers available here (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/&cl=gb,en##)
and iu can get them at 67 pounds at oyyy
are you thinking dollars rarther than pounds.
thanks again for the help

02audionoob
06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
The difference probably isn't dollars and pounds. It's the power and quality level of the system you're looking at versus the one I'm looking at.

bobp
06-03-2009, 12:09 AM
that is the logitech speaker listing page (see above link).
i cant see a pair of 5/7.1 speakers on there for over 89 pounds.
am i missing smothing here?
could you send me a link to the speakers you are looking at?
sorry to bug
bit of a noob when it comes to speakers.
bobp

bobp
06-03-2009, 12:26 AM
sorry- hit f5

02audionoob
06-03-2009, 04:46 AM
It's true you can get a 5.1 speaker system for less money than 150 pounds. However, some systems are better than others. Within the Logitech brand, some will be more powerful systems or will have more features. The one you see for 89 pounds might suit your needs. The one I was looking at is an older model that you might be able to find at a discount. It is a more-powerful system. It should play louder and probably sound better at low volume than the less-powerful systems. It's a judgment call based on how much you want to spend.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000UC7W3Q/ref=asc_df_B000UC7W3Q366702?smid=A2GZT5WO4CNKKS&tag=kelkmpcpc-2nd-ce-21&linkCode=asn

bobp
06-03-2009, 06:26 AM
thanks- i like the look of that
looks perfect for my needs and budget- currently trying to work out weather ill be able to afford a set.

rhomanski
07-01-2009, 12:21 AM
i've been told the klipsch promedia 5.1 are the best computer surround sound system made.they're no longer in production but are available on that auction site occasionally.