Cable TV Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable TV Help

the hand of boredom
06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, having an issue with our TV reception. I recently switched from Rogers HD cable system to Apple TV as our main source of entertainment. I took advantage of the free cable service (channels 2-60ish) by connecting the outlet directly into our Sony Bravia HD tuner (KV3000?).

For about 4 weeks we were getting normal reception on all channels. Suddenly on Sunday morning there is a tonne of 'snow' over the picture. Can still see the programming but its under alot of snow. Tried unplugging all cords and reconnecting but still the problem exists.

Any ideas on how to fix?

THOB

markw
06-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Don't know about your local system, but our local comcast is phasing out the "free" analog broadcasts, which is what I'm guessing you've been receiving. Since they had a large number of subscribers to their "basic" srvice, Comcast did provide free rudimentary set-top-boxes for their customers.

Your service provider may or may not allow you to use the QAM tuner in your TV and require to get a set-top-box from them.

You may want to give them a call.

pixelthis
06-01-2009, 10:44 PM
YEAH, GONNA NEED AN ANTENNA for anything "free" from here on out.
THE requirement these days in an HDMI cable for more control of content,
and for that you need a box.:1:

the hand of boredom
06-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks to both for the info. Like the cable companies aren't making enough money already.

Off to get an antenna.

pixelthis
06-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks to both for the info. Like the cable companies aren't making enough money already.

Off to get an antenna.

Make sure its UHF.
Radio shack has a nice one for 40 bucks, shaped like a "V".
Can put it on the roof or in an attic:1: