Oh, the horror of spring! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the horror of spring!

dean_martin
06-01-2009, 11:32 AM
A couple of weeks ago Amazon was running a 50% off sale on select horror movies. To my surprise, the sale included many Italian-influenced gems. You know, the ones that are dream-like in presentation, but don't really follow a plot line.

I picked out 6 and watched two on Saturday while everyone was out of the house except the dogs and me.

First up was Cemetary Man. This early 90s offering from Michele Soavi starring Rupert Everette definitely has a European feel (even though Rupert speaks the Queen's English perfectly). This is a comedy of ironies with some nice gothic atmosphere and a little naughtiness thrown in for good measure. I see it's only $5.99 at Amazon this week. If your order is big enough for free shipping... Anchor Bay does a good job with the picture. Even the night scenes are so clear and grain-free that you can see the wires guiding the blue balls (ha! - poor Rupert) of flame jumping around in the cemetary. (You can see the wire on a fly too.) Anyhow, these little hiccups add to the fun. Overall the effects, special and otherwise, are good.

Next up was the US theatrical release of Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Enough has been said about this film. I'll add that if you don't have to have a special edition with extended scenes and tons of extras, Anchor Bay's Divimax edition is excellent. I've never seen this film presented so clearly.

Still need to make my way through Tenebre, Phenomena, Demons and Black Sunday.

Worf101
06-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Rented "Cemetary Man". I found it to be an interesting and lively film. Ending was eh but I liked the film overall. I'm glad that the special features explained the origin of the character et. al. I'll be waiting for the insight on the rest. Sounds like some good snags.

Da Worfster

Worf101
06-02-2009, 04:35 AM
Been ragin' all over the site lately but since I truly admire and respect your opinion on things filmic, have you or when do you plan to "do Blu"? What's your opinion on the format?

Da Worfster

dean_martin
06-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Been ragin' all over the site lately but since I truly admire and respect your opinion on things filmic, have you or when do you plan to "do Blu"? What's your opinion on the format?

Da Worfster

I'm not on the cutting edge video-wise; however, I do enjoy my 50" Panny plasma with the Toshiba HD-DVD player for regular dvds (and the few HD-DVDs sitting in the cabinet).

I've been following the threads on the new Oppo player and the latest Panasonic players. BluRay is inevitable for me, but I'm still smartin' from my false start with HD-DVD. The only redeeming aspect of that fiasco is the little Toshiba's ability to upconvert regular dvds. (I've had another dvd player for an at-home trial that couldn't beat it.) OTOH, it's build quality doesn't instill much confidence in longevity. I'm not looking forward to starting a new library on a new format either so a new BRP must at least present standard dvds as well as the Toshiba. Right now, I'm not able to take advantage of the latest audio so that's not a big priority.

I really don't have an opinion on the BR format. I'm due for a new player and it doesn't make sense to me to get one that doesn't do Blu since the format is out there and I was impressed with the picture quality of HD-DVD. BR must be at least as good or better, right? (I will research and seek comments on the survival of the format before buying though. I've been noticing that the Sony PS3, often recommended for BR playback, is not selling well. Not sure what that's attributable to.) My goal is to take the plunge by the end of the year or when the Toshiba dies, whichever comes first.

Smokey
06-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Next up was the US theatrical release of Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Enough has been said about this film. I'll add that if you don't have to have a special edition with extended scenes and tons of extras, Anchor Bay's Divimax edition is excellent. I've never seen this film presented so clearly.

I have Divimax edition of this DVD and must agree that picture quality is simply stunning. I used to watch it on VHS, but clarity of it on DVD take it to whole new level.

And this movie contain one of my favorite horror scene where guy covered with white sheet slowly rise up, and sheet slowly falls off revealing his face.

http://www.videodetective.com/photos/014/000598_43.jpg