Pagin bobsticks. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pagin bobsticks.

Swish
06-01-2009, 03:47 AM
So, did you get that rockin' comp in you mailbox yet? I'm figuring not or you would have PM'd me or sumthin, and this post is just an excuse to say "HOW ABOUT THOSE RED WINGS KICKIN" THE PENS TAILS LAST NIGHT. Oh, this is so off-topic. I suppose this will be moved to some frozen tundra in Siberia where no other RR people can enjoy it.

kexodusc
06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
This thing should be over now...The Wings played like crap, missing Datsyuk for 2 games, Fleury plays as well as he ever does, and they still get beat by some bad bounces and the suddenly "great" Chris Osgood. If they couldn't salvage a split under those favorable circumstances, ain't no way they're winning 4 outta 5 against the Wings.

Mwa ha ha...Nothing I hate worse than bandwagon Penguins fans. I shall dine on their tears.

atomicAdam
06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
you said it yourself.............

bobsticks
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
...no, I haven't received yer rockin' comp yet...I would've expressed appropriate gratitude, it looks like a colection of truly "*****in' Camaro" proportions. Seriously. On the other hand, I have failed to change my forwarding addy not out seeking "to evade my creditors" as you implied in your PM but sheer lack of time.

While moderately enjoying a replay of the recent UFC event, my significant other du jour commented that I was built like Chuck Liddell, which implied to me that my recent forays into extreme grilling have led to a condition I've dubbed "Iceman Gut". Clearly, time at the gym has been necessary.

Speaking of that...Kexo...I've just had it confirmed that Rich Franklin is currently training with Anderson Silva in prep for his upcoming battle with Wanderlei Silva. I think it speaks tomes that a man is willing to swallow his pride and train with the dude that kicked his arse twice because his style most accurately approximates his oncoming foe. Use that knowledge for what it's worth...just not against me.

As for the Pens/Wings battles, I am revelling in the results. I would dispute that the Wings have "looked like crap". They have allowed themselves to be taken in by the hack stickwork of the Pens, and the occasional forays of Pitt into the run-and-gun style have led to some shoddy positional play. That said, I've liked some things that I've seen: the redboys be puttin' the puck on net and when crowding the crease hasn't worked the new kids haven't been afraid to explore outside shots from off-angles.

Prediction: This will not be a clean sweep. The Wings are, at times, showing their age and i suspect that the Pens will be able to pull the split at home. Wings in five...you heard it here. I'd also say that Maltby ain't done with Crosby...we'll see...

kexodusc
06-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Speaking of that...Kexo...I've just had it confirmed that Rich Franklin is currently training with Anderson Silva in prep for his upcoming battle with Wanderlei Silva. I think it speaks tomes that a man is willing to swallow his pride and train with the dude that kicked his arse twice because his style most accurately approximates his oncoming foe. Use that knowledge for what it's worth...just not against me.

As for the Pens/Wings battles, I am revelling in the results. I would dispute that the Wings have "looked like crap". They have allowed themselves to be taken in by the hack stickwork of the Pens, and the occasional forays of Pitt into the run-and-gun style have led to some shoddy positional play. That said, I've liked some things that I've seen: the redboys be puttin' the puck on net and when crowding the crease hasn't worked the new kids haven't been afraid to explore outside shots from off-angles....
I have to confess, as a fan of neither team, the stick work and dirty play has been even at best or slanted in favor of Detroit IMO. I hate the Pens but the obstructions are back and the Wings beneffitted massively in game 2.

We had a drinking game the other night - every time Crosby gets slashed, held or hooked without a call take a drink. You last about 3/4 of the 1st period. The "let them play" crap is killing the superior skilled forwards, which is 99% of Pittsburgh's chances. Not saying they'd win otherwise, but you can't call hockey 1 way all year then change it on them in the finals.

That said, as even Babcock said the other night, Crosby is playing a much grittier, less whiny game this year and looks more like a faster Forsberg in his prime than the 18 year old kid with bad habbits of falling down every time a stick hits him. I'm impressed with his heart and fight this year. Surprised to hear myself say that.

Pitts definitely got screwed on the non-call when Zetterberg put his hand on the puck in the crease (on Osgood's back). And Lidstrom gets waaaay too much grace.

That said, Detroit has benefitted from 3 very flukey goals, despite being slightly outplayed from my vantage point. Fleury's only let in 1 bad one. This is a tight series, but no way are the Pens winning 4 of 5.

Detroit's defence is winning this series, Pitts defence isn't even close. And Osgood's playing his best hockey ever....Hall of Fame?

bobsticks
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I think mebbe we'll agree to disagree on a lot of that. Otoh, I feel about Malkin the way you feel about Crosby. I've been impressed with his grit, determination and overall play...a far cry from his disappearing act of years past.

Chris Osgood deserves a special place in the HOF..."The Hard Luck Chris" corner...every Cup victory seems to be played out in the media as a win despite Osgood. He's a big name guy and deserves more respect than he gets.

kexodusc
06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I think mebbe we'll agree to disagree on a lot of that. Otoh, I feel about Malkin the way you feel about Crosby. I've been impressed with his grit, determination and overall play...a far cry from his disappearing act of years past.

Chris Osgood deserves a special place in the HOF..."The Hard Luck Chris" corner...every Cup victory seems to be played out in the media as a win despite Osgood. He's a big name guy and deserves more respect than he gets.

I'll agree on Osgood - though his career stats on non-cup calibre teams aren't exactly inspiring, but he does prove a point that a good goalie on a great team is all that's needed. He's certainly now worse than say Tom Barasso was. Probably not as good as Mike Richter. Doubt anyone would put him in top 10 of the last 20 years, which is kinda mind boggling when you look at all the bling on his fingers.

Malkin's been better this year too, though not the same leap Crosby's taken. He doesn't overpower grinding d-men along the boards, doesn't drive the net hard, and hasn't been paying the price like Crosby has. Usually takes Europeans a bit longer to learn that though so I'll cut him some slack. My big beef with Malkin is that he puts all his points together every 2 or 3 games and is largely ineffective in between. At least he's not "tired" this year. Plus he isn't the target of one Mr Zetterberg shift after shift either (and dropping the gloves with an unwilling Swede ain't nothin').

Still, Pitts better get some secondary scoring besides the big 2. Where the hell have they all gone? I don't even remember Gonchar in the first 2 games. Jordan Staal looks like Eric did last round.

They might win tonight, but it won't matter.

kexodusc
06-03-2009, 03:46 AM
LOL...the refs continue to disappoint. Somehow Pitts managed to have 6 guys on the ice for 20 seconds or so, applying pressure in Detroit's end early in the 1st period, and get away with it. I guess interference doesn't get called in the neutral zone anymore either.

For the first time in the series, the Wings had clearly had the most quality scoring chances, despite being badly out-hit. Wonder if that's Pittsburgh's new gameplan? One wouldn't think it plays to their strengths but what do I know. Fleury must have stolen the horseshoe right outta Osgoods rear-end...I counted 3 posts for the Wings last night vs 1 for Pitts late when the game was over. No complaining here though, Pittsburgh hit 7 chimes in Detroit and had nothing to show for it - as Tom Barasso would say, "you dont' have to stop the ones that go wide". :)

This was the best game Detroit played in the series and they deserved the game (even if they were totally dominated in the 3rd). With Datsyuk back for game 4, they should put the stranglehold on. If by some flukey miracle Pittsburgh ties it, youth vs fatigue could determine the series...the Wings are beat-up and playing on pure heart now. They're so good on a half tank that it should be enough.

ForeverAutumn
06-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I didn't really care who won this series, but I've always hated the superstition of not touching the conference trophy. So when Sydney picked up the trophy, I wanted to see the Pens win just so that this silly superstition doesn't get stronger legs.

Go Pens! :)

kexodusc
06-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I didn't really care who won this series, but I've always hated the superstition of not touching the conference trophy. So when Sydney picked up the trophy, I wanted to see the Pens win just so that this silly superstition doesn't get stronger legs.

Go Pens! :)
Both teams picked it up last year - Detroit won anyway :)

Swish
06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
LOL...the refs continue to disappoint. Somehow Pitts managed to have 6 guys on the ice for 20 seconds or so, applying pressure in Detroit's end early in the 1st period, and get away with it. I guess interference doesn't get called in the neutral zone anymore either.

For the first time in the series, the Wings had clearly had the most quality scoring chances, despite being badly out-hit. Wonder if that's Pittsburgh's new gameplan? One wouldn't think it plays to their strengths but what do I know. Fleury must have stolen the horseshoe right outta Osgoods rear-end...I counted 3 posts for the Wings last night vs 1 for Pitts late when the game was over. No complaining here though, Pittsburgh hit 7 chimes in Detroit and had nothing to show for it - as Tom Barasso would say, "you dont' have to stop the ones that go wide". :)

This was the best game Detroit played in the series and they deserved the game (even if they were totally dominated in the 3rd). With Datsyuk back for game 4, they should put the stranglehold on. If by some flukey miracle Pittsburgh ties it, youth vs fatigue could determine the series...the Wings are beat-up and playing on pure heart now. They're so good on a half tank that it should be enough.

I counted at least 3 hooks and one stick to the head on a check that should have been called against them, but nada. If they continue to whine about non-calls, they should be forced to watch the replays and see what they got away with, not that they don't already know.

ForeverAutumn
06-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Both teams picked it up last year - Detroit won anyway :)

See? And if Detroit loses this year then they can blame the loss on not picking it up. :)

Maybe its just me, but I find it disrespectful to not pick up the conference trophy. But what the hell do I know? Nuttin', that's what. :out:

kexodusc
06-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Hey Swish,

The next chapter in the decades old search for a real goalie in Philly is going to get interesting when "Razor" Ray shows up in town. Emery's as good as Biron, and heaven knows he'll drop the gloves with anyone. The sweet part of the deal for the Flyers will be the salary savings against the cap compared to Biron.

Swish
06-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Hey Swish,

The next chapter in the decades old search for a real goalie in Philly is going to get interesting when "Razor" Ray shows up in town. Emery's as good as Biron, and heaven knows he'll drop the gloves with anyone. The sweet part of the deal for the Flyers will be the salary savings against the cap compared to Biron.

...from the past, and that would be Ron Hextall. He would clobber anyone who dared brush him in the crease. The lower salary cap is going to hurt a lot of teams. I heard the Flyers may have to let Gagne go, which would hurt really bad, but what can you do? When you have young guys like Giroux with loads of talent and much lower salaries, you have to go with youth. I'm not a big Biron fan, but he is certainly better than mediocre.

kexodusc
06-04-2009, 07:34 AM
...from the past, and that would be Ron Hextall. He would clobber anyone who dared brush him in the crease. The lower salary cap is going to hurt a lot of teams. I heard the Flyers may have to let Gagne go, which would hurt really bad, but what can you do? When you have young guys like Giroux with loads of talent and much lower salaries, you have to go with youth. I'm not a big Biron fan, but he is certainly better than mediocre.
Ha ha...true story, Ron Hextall used to (briefly) work for my grandfather washing cars.
Not sure Hextall had the coke problem but I digress. Emery would help the Flyers on the dollar side, and certainly not be a downgrade by any means. As long as he shows up in time.

The cap reducing is only going to be a problem to teams that were incredibly stupid. They all know the revenue formula, the risks, the inevitabilty that it would plateau, fluctuate etc. Some teams are actually set up quite nicely moving forward.

The Flyers would love to dump Briere's contract (one of the worst ever) but it will be hard to find a taker unless he gets healthy and returns to the top 2 lines. Losing Gagne would suck for them. He's one of the most underrated players in the world IMO. Might be worth buying Briere out after next year, but there's a big possibility they could shed that weight by sending him to Montreal for something minimal in return.

Emery's a decent #1, like 20 other teams have. If your team is good you should be able to win with unspectacular goaltending. The last 6 cup finalists have been Osgood X 2, Fleury X 2, Emery, and Giguere...before that - Cam Ward and Roloson...Then Khabibulin and Kipprusoff. Not exactly the top of the heap in the goalie world. The only repeatedly top-end, world class goalie of that bunch is Kiprusoff, barely, and he's showing just how badly overplayed he's been by his team.

If the best goalies won every year we'd be bored to death by a New Jersey/Vancouver final. Zzzzzz...

Good news is the cap isn't going down anything relevant next year, and if the playoffs are any indication, the NHL might escape relatively unscathed from the economy's troubles. I'm surprised more GM's have figured out how sign-and-trade works...the only sign and trade deal I can recall was Hossa for Heatley...too many GM's giving in to the "no-movement" clauses.

bobsticks
06-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Eddie O. wanted to say that the Wings looked old. Frankly, I thought the Wings looked sloppy, with even the young cats missing cross-ice passes that should have been rudimentary. The first period was a cluster****. is it me, or did the ice look less-than-optimal?

The Flyers should fall down on the ice and pray at the feet of Emery.

kexodusc
06-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Eddie O. wanted to say that the Wings looked old. Frankly, I thought the Wings looked sloppy, with even the young cats missing cross-ice passes that should have been rudimentary. The first period was a cluster****. is it me, or did the ice look less-than-optimal?

The Flyers should fall down on the ice and pray at the feet of Emery.
The Wings looked tired and sore...in the 2 Pittsburgh games the Pens hit the holy snot out of them - something that isn't really in the Pen's playbook, but it is causing Detroit's speed and defence to offence transition through the neutral fits.

Game 4 was all about the Pen's star players having one of those nights though...if the Wings lose the series it will be because their stars were absent.
Lidstrom, Zetterberg, and especially Hossa have been non-factors for too long in this series.

Thankfully the Datsyukian one is comin' back...this should allow Detroit to get the line matchups they want and really inject some life into a dead power play.

Truth is, Fleury ain't that good and if they keep firing near 40 shots per game at him, they'll win.

bobsticks
06-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Is it me, or did the ice look less-than-optimal?.

Now I'm flat out sayin' it...the willy-nilly, randomless, directionless course of the puck in the last game compared to this cements in my mind the fact that the ice in Pitt is less than optimal. Kex you should know this, simply watching the way the sum***** caromed of "flat ice". I never got to play in Wilkes-Barre...maybe it's a Pennsylvania thang that I wouldn't understand...

That last cheap shot directed at Holmstrom perpetrated by Talbot was childish...almost beyond my own standards of acceptable behavior.

Let's see what happens in the third...

kexodusc
06-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Now I'm flat out sayin' it...the willy-nilly, randomless, directionless course of the puck in the last game compared to this cements in my mind the fact that the ice in Pitt is less than optimal. Kex you should know this, simply watching the way the sum***** caromed of "flat ice". I never got to play in Wilkes-Barre...maybe it's a Pennsylvania thang that I wouldn't understand...

That last cheap shot directed at Holmstrom perpetrated by Talbot was childish...almost beyond my own standards of acceptable behavior.

Let's see what happens in the third...
Nah. The Joe's ice this time of year has always been a source of complaint, any quality differences would be minimal IMO, they both suck now. Hard to keep it hard and fast in June, with 18,000 people buzzing bro. However, that should be an argue in favor of the Pens if anything, bad ice helps better defence, hurts faster, high-offence teams. Detroit can play both, but Pittsburgh sure can't. If anything I'd expect it to be a bigger problem for the Pens. Detroit lost cause they weren't as good. Nuff said. Last line change is huge in this series and gave Pitts the edge.

With Datsyuk, whole new ball game. Hockey's a funny sport. Line matchups, are so important. The absence of 1 player can throw off 3 or 4 line combinations and really do a number on a team - especially when it's a player of Datsyuk's abilities. He's better at 80% than most are at 100%. Getting him back was a huge boost, and IMO this series would already be over if he played the first 4.

Babs started him off on Zetterberg's line...took what? 8 minutes for him to set up a goal? Then he shifted him to center on his own line to shut down Malkin. Smart play.
So now Pittsburgh's kids have to play hockey against two of the best defensive forwards in the game. They'll still get their points, but not as easy and not nearly as many. More importantly, as a coach of mine used to say all time - the best defence is to keep the f'n puck 190 feet away from your net. Having that 1,2 line combo forced Malkin and Crosby to play defence, which isn't their strength.

Oh, and Hossa must have heard me because he was actually noticeable.

I think Pitts might win game 6. So much of their success in games 3 and 4 were because they got the lines they wanted on the ice at key points. Malkin and Crosby don't need much time to produce, and I'm sure they'll load them on the same line at times. If Detroit scores first, it's game over though. With Datsyuk back their shut-down is too good, too deep and Pittsburgh will be forced to take too many chances against the wrong team.

All in all this has been a much better final series this year.

Had no problem with Talbot's shot on Holmstrom - Maltby's been doing that stuff for years...I had a huge problem with the slash/trip to Datsyuk's feet - I believe that was also Talbot....you know the guy's injured, foot maybe broken? The games out of hand. Clear intent to re-injure. Should be a suspension from my seat.

How huge is the extra day before game 6 for the wings? They played 5 in 8, and even last night looked a bit sluggish at times.

Swish
06-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Nah. The Joe's ice this time of year has always been a source of complaint, any quality differences would be minimal IMO, they both suck now. Hard to keep it hard and fast in June, with 18,000 people buzzing bro. However, that should be an argue in favor of the Pens if anything, bad ice helps better defence, hurts faster, high-offence teams. Detroit can play both, but Pittsburgh sure can't. If anything I'd expect it to be a bigger problem for the Pens. Detroit lost cause they weren't as good. Nuff said. Last line change is huge in this series and gave Pitts the edge.

With Datsyuk, whole new ball game. Hockey's a funny sport. Line matchups, are so important. The absence of 1 player can throw off 3 or 4 line combinations and really do a number on a team - especially when it's a player of Datsyuk's abilities. He's better at 80% than most are at 100%. Getting him back was a huge boost, and IMO this series would already be over if he played the first 4.

Babs started him off on Zetterberg's line...took what? 8 minutes for him to set up a goal? Then he shifted him to center on his own line to shut down Malkin. Smart play.
So now Pittsburgh's kids have to play hockey against two of the best defensive forwards in the game. They'll still get their points, but not as easy and not nearly as many. More importantly, as a coach of mine used to say all time - the best defence is to keep the f'n puck 190 feet away from your net. Having that 1,2 line combo forced Malkin and Crosby to play defence, which isn't their strength.

Oh, and Hossa must have heard me because he was actually noticeable.

I think Pitts might win game 6. So much of their success in games 3 and 4 were because they got the lines they wanted on the ice at key points. Malkin and Crosby don't need much time to produce, and I'm sure they'll load them on the same line at times. If Detroit scores first, it's game over though. With Datsyuk back their shut-down is too good, too deep and Pittsburgh will be forced to take too many chances against the wrong team.

All in all this has been a much better final series this year.

Had no problem with Talbot's shot on Holmstrom - Maltby's been doing that stuff for years...I had a huge problem with the slash/trip to Datsyuk's feet - I believe that was also Talbot....you know the guy's injured, foot maybe broken? The games out of hand. Clear intent to re-injure. Should be a suspension from my seat.

How huge is the extra day before game 6 for the wings? They played 5 in 8, and even last night looked a bit sluggish at times.

...otherwise this series would already be over. Pittsburgh has been 100% I believe, but Detroit had a bunch of issues, most notably Datsyuk. I hope they can win in 6 so I don't have to go through a game 7. I don't think my nerves can take it.

Yeah, Pittsburgh took a number of cheap shots, but I guess when you're getting humiliated they figure why not? Just one more reason I want them beaten, and the sooner the better.

kexodusc
06-07-2009, 05:23 AM
...otherwise this series would already be over. Pittsburgh has been 100% I believe, but Detroit had a bunch of issues, most notably Datsyuk. I hope they can win in 6 so I don't have to go through a game 7. I don't think my nerves can take it.

Yeah, Pittsburgh took a number of cheap shots, but I guess when you're getting humiliated they figure why not? Just one more reason I want them beaten, and the sooner the better.
Pittsburgh's got some guys playing a bit hurt too...Gonchar most notably, Crosby's wrist is supposedly not 100% but you wouldn't know it. But they haven't had the same trouble the Wings have had, and they haven't had to replace a guy like Datsyuk though and that's a definite advantage. I don't think any other team in hockey could lose a Hart trophy nominee and still skate with a team like the Pens. Incredible really. Reminds of the year the Avs won without Forsberg.

No excuses though - don't like injuries and fatigue? Win the rounds sooner then. Nobody cut Malkin and Crosby slack last year for playing hurt. As is always the case I'm sure 15 guys on both teams are nursing injuries at this time of year.

Clock is ticking on Pittsburgh's championship prospects. Like the Flyers, Bruins and Caps, they've got too much young talent that will be looking for big 2nd and 3rd contracts and not enough cap room to keep them all together. Guerin has been a great addition but is unlikely to stay, Gonchar isn't getting younger, and I don't see the Pens being able to maintain quite as much as they have . They have some great prospects in the system still but they're a few years off. The window to win is so short that unless some UFA gives a huge discount to play in Pittsburgh or pro-athletes start turning down big offers, I think this will be their last kick at the can for some time. They'll still be competitive, but it'll be some time before they're back in the finals. The East was relatively weak this year, and won't be next.

The Wings are kinda in the same boat, except they'll have 2 more cups to show for it, and Holland always seems to stumble into good luck. :)

Swish
06-07-2009, 07:13 AM
Pittsburgh's got some guys playing a bit hurt too...Gonchar most notably, Crosby's wrist is supposedly not 100% but you wouldn't know it. But they haven't had the same trouble the Wings have had, and they haven't had to replace a guy like Datsyuk though and that's a definite advantage. I don't think any other team in hockey could lose a Hart trophy nominee and still skate with a team like the Pens. Incredible really. Reminds of the year the Avs won without Forsberg.

No excuses though - don't like injuries and fatigue? Win the rounds sooner then. Nobody cut Malkin and Crosby slack last year for playing hurt. As is always the case I'm sure 15 guys on both teams are nursing injuries at this time of year.

anything. Yes, they have some great players, but I don't have to like them. I feel the same about Tiger Woods. I won't deny he's the best player in the world, but he acts like an idiot much of the time and it's no wonder he's the most penalized player on the pro tour. But I digress. The Penguins were able to get 2 of the best players in hockey because they sucked a<a>ss in prior seasons and got the #1 draft pick and took Crosby (duh!) in 05, and got Malkin as # 2 in the Entry Draft in 04. Some idiot wrote in the fan line in the local rag today that Craig Patrick should get 'credit' for drafting Crosby and Malkin. Why do people who know so little feel the need to voice an opinion? I wish he had said in a bar with me in earshot so I could smash my beer bottle on his empty head.

kexodusc
06-07-2009, 09:08 AM
anything. Yes, they have some great players, but I don't have to like them. I feel the same about Tiger Woods. I won't deny he's the best player in the world, but he acts like an idiot much of the time and it's no wonder he's the most penalized player on the pro tour. But I digress. The Penguins were able to get 2 of the best players in hockey because they sucked a<a>ss in prior seasons and got the #1 draft pick and took Crosby (duh!) in 05, and got Malkin as # 2 in the Entry Draft in 04. Some idiot wrote in the fan line in the local rag today that Craig Patrick should get 'credit' for drafting Crosby and Malkin. Why do people who know so little feel the need to voice an opinion? I wish he had said in a bar with me in earshot so I could smash my beer bottle on his empty head.
I've said it before on these forums, the only reason the Pens are where they are is because of 100% pure luck. They won the Lockout Draft Lottery (Crosby) and also won Malkin. They got Fleury and Staal because they sucked.
Crosby and Malkin could have easily been Daigle and Hamrlik. Pure luck. No credit to Patrick. Detroit on the other hand has maintained their status despite picking late. That's impressive.

I don't share the same hatred you have, though I do strongly dislike them. Now the Leafs...I hates me some Leafs.

bobsticks
06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I hate 'em even more then Swish...actually, I just hate Crosby...but I'm not ready to call tonight's game for detroit just 'cause Datsyuk is back.

Crosby and Malkin could have easily been Daigle and Hamrlik. Pure luck. No credit to Patrick. Detroit on the other hand has maintained their status despite picking late. That's impressive...

I'm playing in another charity golf outing tomorrow and Alex Daigle will be there...it's the Pamela Anderson Hepatitis B Open...I'll let him know you said, "hey"....

Swish
06-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I hate 'em even more then Swish...actually, I just hate Crosby...but I'm not ready to call tonight's game for detroit just 'cause Datsyuk is back.

I'm playing in another charity golf outing tomorrow and Alex Daigle will be there...it's the Pamela Anderson Hepatitis B Open...I'll let him know you said, "hey"....

Actually, the season debut of Weeds is on at 9, so I'll be switching off at that point.

As for the golf, Pam once challenged me to a match. She said I would beat her on the drives but she would like me on the putts.

ForeverAutumn
06-08-2009, 06:27 PM
What time zone are you goons in? The game is tomorrow night! :frown2:

bobsticks
06-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm in Stary Oskol, Belgorod, Russia. When I fly home tomorrow, it'll be today... :prrr:

Swish
06-09-2009, 03:32 AM
What time zone are you goons in? The game is tomorrow night! :frown2:

I had my nights mixed up and realized it shortly after commenting about Weeds, but I was too busy to correct myself last night. Weeds was on last night, of course, and the game tonight...unless you're bobsticks and living in Russia.

ForeverAutumn
06-09-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm in Stary Oskol, Belgorod, Russia. When I fly home tomorrow, it'll be today... :prrr:

So who won? I still have time to call Vegas and place my bet.

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Hoooo Boy. Game 7. I suspect that Swishy won't have any fingernails left by the end of the game. Me? I'm looking forward to watching a good tense game. I love game sevens! I love the electricity when everything is on the line. Especially when I don't have the personal tension of caring who wins (although I would really like to see the Pens take it). :)

kexodusc
06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Pittsburgh's 2nd goal should not have counted (a penalty should have been called on the play) but they completely out-hit and dominated the Wings for 2 periods. The home ice/line-matching game continues to be the single biggest factor in the series. Pittsburgh can get its stars on the ice at key times to wear down the Wings defence.

The 3rd period went in favor of the Wings, though Pittsburgh was obviously playing not to lose rather than to score so we'll discount that a bit - still they were outplayed and the Wings are showing they can adapt fast and match the Pen's speed.

Game 7 is going to be interesting.

At some point you have to think the Wings' strategy of shutting down Crosby will not work - sooner or later he beats every check. But they've been so incredibly good at it, hard to argue against going back to the same plan for game 7.

This series has now come down to every cliche in hockey:
Which goalie will make the key saves/let his team down?
Which stars will rise to the occassion (Zetterberg/Datsyuk vs Crosby/Malkin)
Which teams secondary scoring will tip the scales (Marian Hossa, where are you?)
Who wants it more?

The Wings caught a huge break with the extra day off. I think the wacky boards at the Joe will be the difference....Wings win game 7.

ForeverAutumn
06-11-2009, 10:28 AM
You know what would be great? If they had shootouts in the playoffs.

Can you imagine game seven of the Stanley Cup series ending in a tie and then tying up the shootout after two shots each and then having the whole season come down to one shot?

That would be wicked! :thumbsup:

:devil:

kexodusc
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
You know what would be great? If they had shootouts in the playoffs.

Can you imagine game seven of the Stanley Cup series ending in a tie and then tying up the shootout after two shots each and then having the whole season come down to one shot?

That would be wicked! :thumbsup:

:devil:
They already have that - it's called the Olympics....:thumbsup:

Swish
06-11-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20090602/BLOG2401/90602068

bobsticks
06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Wings win it...it's a lock...

ForeverAutumn
06-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Wings in five...you heard it here.

Hmmmmm. You don't know very much about hockey, do you?

;)

bobsticks
06-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Hmmmmm. You don't know very much about hockey, do you?

;)

Clearly not....the Wings looked horrible....aged and half-drowsing through the second period and it cost them, and us, dearly. I'll probably go into seclusion for a few days. I can't stand the thought of Bettmen and his buttboy on the celebratory media run. At least it was painful for him.

In the spirit of sportsmanship congrats to Malkin and Talbot...and to Fleury for shaking the bagaboo...lotta talent on that team and they did play well...

...there's no smiley which aptly describes my feelings at this point

kexodusc
06-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Not the result I wanted, but this year has been some of the best playoff hockey in quite some time. In hindsight - I think the series was decided by Babcock. By assigning Zetterberg to shut-down the Penguins' best player, he also took Zetterberg off his game a bit. Since Detroit's secondary scoring couldn't match Pittsburgh's, they lost.

The whole night I kept think about Marian Hossa. What an ass he must fell like today. Turns down more money from the Pens to win with Detroit, only to lose to the Pens.

I don't like how the team was built, but anyone that wins it is deserving. It took Crosby 4 years to win a Cup. A 2nd Staal has a ring. Fleury has silenced the doubters, and Malkin has some ammo to stick in the face of his enemy in Washington now.

I question how long the team can stay together with Gonchar getting on, Guerin likely to leave, and a slew of young talent soon to look for their 2nd and 3rd contracts. But then again, Crosby, Malkin, Staal etc are nowhere near reaching their primes yet so we might have to get used to this...ugh...

As for Detroit, they'll still be good, but I think we've seen the beginning of the end of an era there.

I will subscribe to any theory that this year's playoffs were rigged.

Swish
06-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Oh, and don't give up your day job.

Swish
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Clearly not....the Wings looked horrible....aged and half-drowsing through the second period and it cost them, and us, dearly. I'll probably go into seclusion for a few days. I can't stand the thought of Bettmen and his buttboy on the celebratory media run. At least it was painful for him.

In the spirit of sportsmanship congrats to Malkin and Talbot...and to Fleury for shaking the bagaboo...lotta talent on that team and they did play well...

...there's no smiley which aptly describes my feelings at this point

I forgot all about it. My mind was on the Hershey Bears playing for their league record 10th Calder Cup, and they won of course. I was a Bears fanatic when they were the Flyers AAA team. Now that they're aligned with the Capitals, it makes it difficult when their players move up to the bigs and I have to root against them. Oh, well. Such is life.

bobsticks
06-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh, and don't give up your day job.

I didn't...you'll know when I do...won some ducketts playin' golf though and am eternally grateful I didn't stick a load on UFC 99....

bobsticks
06-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I forgot all about it. My mind was on the Hershey Bears playing for their league record 10th Calder Cup, and they won of course. I was a Bears fanatic when they were the Flyers AAA team. Now that they're aligned with the Capitals, it makes it difficult when their players move up to the bigs and I have to root against them. Oh, well. Such is life.

I miss The Sheriff. Life is a little duller, a little less full with him gone from the public eye.

kexodusc
06-27-2009, 03:58 AM
OUCH! Pronger for Luca Sbisa, Joffrey Lupul, two first-round picks and a conditional third-round pick in 2010 or 2011.
That's a bit more than double what the Ducks wanted for him at the trade deadline. I like Pronger, but Sbisa and Lupul alone would have been plenty at this stage of his career.

Either this deal makes the Phantoms the best team in the AHL or Holmgren's obviously not done dealing because the Flyers have cap problems more than any other team for the next few years...

Still...this makes the Flyers a slightly better team next year. Pressure's on.

There is one intangible - Pronger might be able to teach Coburn how to play a bit meaner game while still being effective. That isn't inconsequential. Coburn's a good one.

bobsticks
06-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Um...yeah...I too suspect there's more to this one than what appears on the surface. I would imagine that you're seeing the first step in a multi-player deal that'll bring Phili a world-class goalie. Not sure how thar plays out but, for Swishy's sake, I refuse to believe that the Philadelphia heirarchy hasn't learned from what I call the "Hatcher Syndrome".

Btw, I agree completely with your assessment of Coburn...a true sleeper that needs only some motivation and wise words to break to the next level. True dat.

Swish
06-27-2009, 08:52 AM
OUCH! Pronger for Luca Sbisa, Joffrey Lupul, two first-round picks and a conditional third-round pick in 2010 or 2011.
That's a bit more than double what the Ducks wanted for him at the trade deadline. I like Pronger, but Sbisa and Lupul alone would have been plenty at this stage of his career.

Either this deal makes the Phantoms the best team in the AHL or Holmgren's obviously not done dealing because the Flyers have cap problems more than any other team for the next few years...

Still...this makes the Flyers a slightly better team next year. Pressure's on.

There is one intangible - Pronger might be able to teach Coburn how to play a bit meaner game while still being effective. That isn't inconsequential. Coburn's a good one.

Pronger is 34 and in his prime, but how many more years can he go at his current level? 4 or 5 years at most? I'm sure they would be pleased if he helped them win one cup, but they have other needs too, like a goalie. I like your comments regarding Coburn, and the Flyers have so much young talent that they're almost bursting at the seams. They just need better players on defense, and Pronger will elevate things for sure.

kexodusc
06-28-2009, 05:26 AM
Pronger is 34 and in his prime, but how many more years can he go at his current level? 4 or 5 years at most? I'm sure they would be pleased if he helped them win one cup, but they have other needs too, like a goalie. I like your comments regarding Coburn, and the Flyers have so much young talent that they're almost bursting at the seams. They just need better players on defense, and Pronger will elevate things for sure.
Just to put things into perspective, Pronger is 10 years removed from his MVP season, and a minimum of 2 years removed from his prime. This ain't the old Chris Pronger you're getting...he's no longer a lock for Team Canada at the Olympics and there's a reason the Ducks decided to chase the older Neidermeyer and Beachemin than stick with the guarantee of Pronger. He's slowing down a lot. Common for guys that play his type of game...he has been reasonaby healthy though, and even though he's no longer a superstar, he's still damn good makes them an early favorite in my mind. This move looks like it was made just to help the Flyers beat Pittsburgh. It could work.

He's still got 1 or 2 good years left in him as a top pair defenceman and he brings it for the playoffs. He's one of the few players whose game improves when the games mean more. I don't know if his defensive numbers will hold up as well in the East playing the likes of Crosby and Ovechkin in a much faster more wide open conference. He's not going to get top play 20 games against cannon fodder opponents in LA, Phoenix, and Dallas next year to pad his stats, either. He's in a much tougher division now. Even the Islanders can't help but be better this year.

Sometimes you have to mortgage the future to go for it today though. I like that the Flyers had the balls to go for it.

The only problem the Flyers have is the question of who they're going to have to give away - I really thought we would have seen Briere or Gagne dealt for picks this weekend to partially replace what they lost in the deal for Pronger. Sort of makes it a Briere for Pronger swap if/when that happens. They might need to send guys to the AHL until the trade deadline if something doesn't happen soon. If the cap doesn't go up next year they're going to have a hard time keeping their talent together. I think Pronger is just a 1-year rental for them. They're going to go for the Cup this year. Windows of opportunity are too small now and they're as good a pick as any going into next year.

I don't think we'll see them snag a goalie like Bob says...they have no cap room for anything better than the cheap Ray Emery, even after they unload Gagne/Briere. And any team that has a quality starter isn't giving it away. Emery should be good enough to not lose big games for them. The Flyers are good and deep enough to win with him if things go right. Pronger will clear the loose rebounds the Pens fed off of this spring.

I expect the deal to happen shortly after Free Agent season begins July 1. Once teams strike out with the big forwards they'll call Philadelphia for one of their forwards.

I'm curious to see what Pittsburgh does to respond. They could really use a guy like Pronger themselves, but lots of rumours of them going after Gaborik.

bobsticks
07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't think we'll see them snag a goalie like Bob says....

I forgot about Cocaine Ray...

kexodusc
07-02-2009, 02:41 PM
deal that'll bring Phili a world-class goalie
Genius! Bobby Styxx called Boucher...the NHL's all-time record holder for most consecutive shut-outs, as I recall.

How do you do it?

kexodusc
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I forgot about Cocaine Ray...
They don't call him "Razor" because of his skating...:ihih:

bobsticks
07-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Genius! Bobby Styxx called Boucher...the NHL's all-time record holder for most consecutive shut-outs, as I recall.

How do you do it?

M'kay...I feel your sarcasm...I've read your book, you magnificent bastage...

Anything that puts Esche and Nitty on the pavement is a good thing. Laperriere will be a good fit too.

kexodusc
07-03-2009, 04:18 AM
M'kay...I feel your sarcasm...I've read your book, you magnificent bastage...

Anything that puts Esche and Nitty on the pavement is a good thing. Laperriere will be a good fit too.
Laperriere will definitley be a good fit...they're setting themselves up nicely.

Washington made a subtle, but oh so great move for them. Adding big Mike Knuble gives them a lot of sandpaper they were sorely lacking. He's going to do well there. And they're not done by any means. If that Varlamov kid keeps developing at the pace he's shown, they are going to be a force next year. Honestly, I felt they had the Champs on the ropes the most this year. They're not far off from being the best team in hockey either. A Caps/Flyers series would be sweet to watch.