Powered tweeters? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Powered tweeters?

SteelyD
05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi, I'm not a pro when it comes to audio equipment and would like a little advice. Is there such a thing as a powered tweeter? I want to play a high pitched sound through a tweeter to hopefully stop some pests from entering my yard. The louder and clearer the better. If I have to run a separate amp is there any particular brand I should buy? I only need one tweeter for now. Thanks for any help.

Woochifer
05-30-2009, 07:05 PM
There are dedicated sound emitters specifically tailored for pest control. I would look into those first before trying to build your own, since it would be lot less expensive. There are plenty of inexpensive powered speakers out there (as well as pro audio monitors with built in amps), but then you'd have to figure out what to play through the tweeters and how to do it.

Hyfi
06-05-2009, 07:02 AM
I would rather you to try Pinnacle's 8 INCH 2WAY INCEILNG-PAIR PIVOT MOUNT TWEETER. It's usually sound best when positioned three or more feet higher than the front speakers. The price is range about $132.05 to $149.23.

I don't think his Pests have front speakers yet

angelgz
06-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi, I'm not a pro when it comes to audio equipment and would like a little advice. Is there such a thing as a powered tweeter? I want to play a high pitched sound through a tweeter to hopefully stop some pests from entering my yard. The louder and clearer the better. If I have to run a separate amp is there any particular brand I should buy? I only need one tweeter for now. Thanks for any help.
You should try to google "Pest Alarm scam" and find out for yourself. There are many people with sound science backgrounds did independent studies of these devices. The so-called ultrasonic pest repeller DOES NOT WORK. That is the reason why you don't see those being sold in stores. It's just another snake oil scam. Although insects can receive ultrasonic frequencies, they can't really "hear" anything or be annoyed by it (as some of these vendors claim). Plus, sound waves, especially those of higher frequencies are very directional and are easily blocked by objects like rocks, grass, sprinkles...et. Anyways, I am not going to recite these articles so you should just do researches on your own.

Kevio
06-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Possibly not effective against rodents and insects but high frequencies do appear to be effective against teenagers (http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Yobs-protected-from-Mosquitoes.1934402.jp).