Should I be concerned with 240Hz and the HDMI cable speeds? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned with 240Hz and the HDMI cable speeds?

rivrbyte
05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
I have a Samsung A750, and bought an in-wall 1.3 rated HDMI cable from Monoprice.com. I never looked at the transfer rate thinking it didn't matter, since nothing is broadcast in 120 or even 240 yet anyway,so why the difference?
My brother, trying to up one on me, just purchased a 52" B750 with 240Hz and wanted to know if he now has to buy a High, Advanced, or Ultra speed rated cable.

My Brother was at best Buy and the dude told him to get the highest Speed Monster Cable for the most high Definition possible. 4' for 150.00!!!!!! R U CRAZY :headb:

I just bought the 1.3 in-wall rated HDMI not knowing any difference.

He was also looking at BluRay Players, maybe that's why the speed differences,since I think that's where you might see the Hz resoulution kick in.

My TV is fine. I have no issues with my HDMI or the Sony BD-P350,but maybe I should take another look in case i'm not getting all the bells and whistles I should with my normal HDMI cable.

Thank you.

N. Abstentia
05-28-2009, 06:59 PM
The refresh rate of the display should have nothing to do with the HDMI cable. HDMI is digital, either it works or it don't. A good $5 cable works the same as a $150 Monster Cable.

02audionoob
05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
HDMI cables do have bandwidth limits. 1.2 was roughly maxed out with 1080p at 120 Hz. 1.3 roughly doubled the bandwidth of 1.2.