how to connect a stereo EQ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how to connect a stereo EQ?

Tarheel_
05-27-2009, 06:23 AM
I have two old Technics components and want to connect the EQ to the Receiver. Here is what i have.

Technics receiver ('87)..it has one pair of Left/Right PRE OUT and one pair of Left/Right MAIN IN....VCR 1 rec out/playback....CD in...Tape/VCR2 rec out/playback. All of these are RCA type inputs.

Technics EQ has two line-in/out RCA-style inputs (R & L) and two tape rec/playback inputs, also R & L.

I also have a phono connected, but mainly listen to Directv (XM) through the VCR1 inputs.

Once connected, how should i go about tweaking this EQ? It has 8 controls per channel.

thanks!

Auricauricle
05-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Try hooking the tape 2 outputs to the EQ in, EQ out to tape 2 ins. Then, on playback, press tape 2. It should route the signal through the EQ....

When tweaking, I would would bring everything down to absolute zero and then gradually move up to your taste. Headphones help, but eventually, you want to move to the chair (etc.) where you'll be doing most of your listening. Make sure your speakers are aligned. I would aslo start with a fairly neutral music source, like a vocalist singing something that is subtle in terms of lows and highs. This is a good baseline; then move towards increasingly complex material as your taste dictates.

Tarheel_
05-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Sweet!!! works like a charm...been forever since i hooked up that EQ...boy, it's nice to have the tweakability.

thx!!

Auricauricle
05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Great, man! Happy listening and tweaking!