Which Receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Receiver?

BallinWithNash
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Denon AVR-1609 or Yamaha RX-V665?
The Denon seems like a much better value and more money in my pocket is definitely a good thing. Let's see what you guys think.

pixelthis
05-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Denon AVR-1609 or Yamaha RX-V665?
The Denon seems like a much better value and more money in my pocket is definitely a good thing. Let's see what you guys think.

The Denon is a waste of time.
It only has two HDMI INPUTS, which means you will run out fast.
But most importantly it lacks the new codecs, its feature set is obsolete, which means its a starter receiver, which you already have. A waste of time.
The yamaha is twice as expensive (499 at Vanns) but has teh latest codecs and
4 HDMI inputs, two more than the Denon.
The Denon is cheaper because you get a receiver from the past, my four year old receiver has everything it has.
Get the Yammy, at five hundred its a bargain.:1:

Worf101
05-27-2009, 04:34 AM
But most importantly it lacks the new codecs, its feature set is obsolete, which means its a starter receiver, which you already have. A waste of time.
The Denon is cheaper because you get a receiver from the past, my four year old receiver has everything it has.

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH OUR PIXIE?

LOL, good informative poste mate.

Da Worfster

BallinWithNash
05-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Ok, i have found a Denon AVR-1709 for $217 ... it has more HDMI inputs ... is this price to good to be true? should i still go with the Yamaha?

blackraven
05-27-2009, 06:19 PM
I would buy this Onkyo TX SR606. It will beat the hell out of the Denon and Yammy and its a steal at this sale price of $349.

[url]http://shop2.frys.com/product/5586420[/url

Here's another link http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=59223&c=0905Froogle&b=Onkyo_TX-SR606+Black

http://itemlistings.ebay.com/sdcsrp?fl=280350346451&product=Onkyo%20TX-SR606&sconstraints=PriceMin.Value%3D303%26PriceMax.Value %3D599

pixelthis
05-27-2009, 11:35 PM
WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH OUR PIXIE?

LOL, good informative poste mate.

Da Worfster

Thanks.
A lot of "newbies" breeze through here with the same question, which receiver,
and we're supposed to pick one outta every receiver in the world.
This guy has narrowed it down to two, for some reason he likes these.
And for the extra money the Yammy has the Denon beat.
And this is teh real pixie, my DR Jeckyl juice is on backorder.:1:

BallinWithNash
05-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks.
A lot of "newbies" breeze through here with the same question, which receiver,
and we're supposed to pick one outta every receiver in the world.
This guy has narrowed it down to two, for some reason he likes these.
And for the extra money the Yammy has the Denon beat.
And this is teh real pixie, my DR Jeckyl juice is on backorder.:1:
First, I love Denon they have some of the most reliable receivers I have ever used and the Yamaha seemed like a good price ... Call me a newbie ... but i dont really care because my system makes yours look like child's play haha

02audionoob
05-28-2009, 03:45 PM
First, I love Denon they have some of the most reliable receivers I have ever used and the Yamaha seemed like a good price ... Call me a newbie ... but i dont really care because my system makes yours look like child's play haha
What do you have that makes anyone here's system look like child's play? I'm not seeing it.

pixelthis
05-28-2009, 11:43 PM

A 32" veiwsonic is supposed to impress me? My set is 42" 1080p.
And the rest of your stuff is either low rent or old
Pyle? PYLE? JBL??POLK?
Spare me, please, I don't need JECKYL JUICE to tear into those salvation army rejects
of yours.
My receiver was 1200 bucks four years ago, its about the tenth one I have owned.
I guess you have never heard of Integra, that is why I am giving you advice.
And every Denon I have had has cut off the highs.
Even the one I bought in the mid eighties, their top of the line (two channel, no HT yet)
The equivalent of 1500 or so today, and it too cut off the highs.
Of course with the speakers you have you will hardly notice.:1:

BallinWithNash
05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
the speakers I have JBL Studio Monitors that is the cleanest speaker you will ever hear music come out of and both of my Crown amps kick any of yours ass and my marantz please you should give up and what your velodyne sub vs. my two 15" Pyle's each powered by over 550W ... just stop talking ... and my two polks kick the ass out of your rears

02audionoob
05-29-2009, 09:33 AM
This reminds me of that segment on SNL Weekend Update where Seth and Amy say...

Really!?!

BadAssJazz
05-29-2009, 10:46 AM
How did this thread devolve into a "dac" measuring contest?

Luvin Da Blues
05-29-2009, 11:32 AM
the speakers I have JBL Studio Monitors that is the cleanest speaker you will ever hear music come out of and both of my Crown amps kick any of yours ass and my marantz please you should give up and what your velodyne sub vs. my two 15" Pyle's each powered by over 550W ... just stop talking ... and my two polks kick the ass out of your rears

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone needs to listen to some "real" gear. Havin' lots of mediocre gear doesn't make it hi-end.

BallinWithNash
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
that guy called me a newbie and pretty much said my stuff is like **** that is pretty much how it started and BadAss im very jealous of your onkyo receiver.

BallinWithNash
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone needs to listen to some "real" gear. Havin' lots of mediocre gear doesn't make it hi-end.

Those JBL Studio Monitors mediocre ... you must be kidding me?

Hyfi
05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I just added my gear to my signature.

Can I play too?

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5519&d=1241362285

BallinWithNash
05-29-2009, 12:15 PM
yes join the fun ... because it really is just to what sounds good to your ear ... but c'mon its fun arguing about it

Hyfi
05-29-2009, 12:34 PM
yes join the fun ... because it really is just to what sounds good to your ear ... but c'mon its fun arguing about it

I may not fit in, some of my gear is actually considered High End.

BallinWithNash
05-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I may not fit in, some of my gear is actually considered High End.
I have never even heard of some of those brands what is it cheap Japanese ****?

Luvin Da Blues
05-29-2009, 03:04 PM

WOW!!!!!

How to win friends and influence people. What an arrogant little Pr**k.

BallinWithNash
05-29-2009, 03:08 PM
WOW!!!!!

How to win friends and influence people. What an arrogant little Pr**k.
Listen im not here to make friends he dissed my system so i told him what I thought of his

02audionoob
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

I don't even have a dac, but that's another story.

nightflier
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
I think it's time to grab the popcorn and get comfy.

Nash18posts vs. Pix caught my eye, but that was only the intro, I think....

Woochifer
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
FWIW, I saw the equivalent to the Denon AVR-1609 selling for $170 at Costco yesterday.

It's on closeout, but it lacks audio support for DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, and multichannel PCM via HDMI. Not exactly a good unit for moving forward if you ever plan on upgrading to Blu-ray, which supports all those formats. Same thing goes for the AVR-1709. There's a reason why those receivers have been so drastically marked down.

If you're deadset on Denon, the AVR-1610 is now out and it includes support for the high res audio formats. But, your price will probably be closer to the $380 list price than under $200.

Listen im not here to make friends he dissed my system so i told him what I thought of his

BFD :out:

Calling Hafler, Von Schweikert, and Dynaudio gear "cheap Japanese ****" ain't the outcome of "thought" ...

Hyfi
05-29-2009, 06:43 PM

First of all, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking. Unless of course you think Best Buy sells High End gear. If that is the case, here is a lesson for you.

VAC=Valve Amplification Company
The CLA-1 was a Reference Pre-Amp
oh, Made in USA

Counterpoint
NPS-400 is one of the first Hybrid Amplifiers
Oh yeah, Made in USA

Odyssey Audio
Modded Stratus rivals many larger name Solid State Amps. Best $1200 you can spend
Duh'Oh, Made in USA

Sound Valves
Valves=Tubes
another one Made in USA

Synergistic Research
Hey, look at that, Made in USA and each pair of cables cost more than some of your components

David Hafler
Originally from Pensauken New Jersey
One of the innovators of DIY audio along with Heathkit and Dynaco
Bought out by Rockford then Harmon Internatinal
Originally Made in USA and was entry level gear when I bought it new.

Clearfield Speakers
Designed by Albert Von Schweikert when he worked at Counterpoint
His speakers sell from about $15k to $180k
Guess what? Made in USA

Dynaudio
Some of the best speakers in the world, right up there with Logitech
Real close to Japan but
Made in Denmark

JM Labs
Focal drivers used in many other speakers as are Dynaudio drivers
Polly vu a humma humma
Made in France - can't get this discontinued baby anymore

Now for my eese of some form cr@p
Sony yep
Denon yep
HK sure
Rotel oh well it's good eese gear

and
Mirage ah nope Canadian company

Oh, and I even have a DAC made by Audio Alchemy and sheesh....Made in USA!!!

Now bozo, it was Pixle that dissed your system, I merely added my gear to my signature today and asked if I could play "Who's is bigger?"
I never once, until now, tried to insult your gear!

BallinWithNash
05-29-2009, 07:33 PM
First of all, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were joking. Unless of course you think Best Buy sells High End gear. If that is the case, here is a lesson for you.

VAC=Valve Amplification Company
The CLA-1 was a Reference Pre-Amp
oh, Made in USA

Counterpoint
NPS-400 is one of the first Hybrid Amplifiers
Oh yeah, Made in USA

Odyssey Audio
Modded Stratus rivals many larger name Solid State Amps. Best $1200 you can spend
Duh'Oh, Made in USA

Sound Valves
Valves=Tubes
another one Made in USA

Synergistic Research
Hey, look at that, Made in USA and each pair of cables cost more than some of your components

David Hafler
Originally from Pensauken New Jersey
One of the innovators of DIY audio along with Heathkit and Dynaco
Bought out by Rockford then Harmon Internatinal
Originally Made in USA and was entry level gear when I bought it new.

Clearfield Speakers
Designed by Albert Von Schweikert when he worked at Counterpoint
His speakers sell from about $15k to $180k
Guess what? Made in USA

Dynaudio
Some of the best speakers in the world, right up there with Logitech
Real close to Japan but
Made in Denmark

JM Labs
Focal drivers used in many other speakers as are Dynaudio drivers
Polly vu a humma humma
Made in France - can't get this discontinued baby anymore

Now for my eese of some form cr@p
Sony yep
Denon yep
HK sure
Rotel oh well it's good eese gear

and
Mirage ah nope Canadian company

Oh, and I even have a DAC made by Audio Alchemy and sheesh....Made in USA!!!

Now bozo, it was Pixle that dissed your system, I merely added my gear to my signature today and asked if I could play "Who's is bigger?"
I never once, until now, tried to insult your gear!
All right Hyfi i admit defeat to you ... you kicked my @@S ... ill come more prepared next time haha

Hyfi
05-30-2009, 05:38 AM
All right Hyfi i admit defeat to you ... you kicked my @@S ... ill come more prepared next time haha

Welcome and good luck with whichever receiver you pick.

BallinWithNash
05-30-2009, 08:01 AM
thank you

Jack in Wilmington
05-30-2009, 11:10 AM

I'm not here to take sides. But I believe in post number 7, you threw the first stone. Before that Pix was just giving you his opinion on the two receivers you had asked about. Don't take being called a "newbie" as an insult. It is just a point of fact. We were all newbies at one time or another. If you get the label of an "Audio Bully" nobody will want to play with you.

BallinWithNash
05-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Do i care what you believe? and Did i ask for your opinion? .... and i consider myself more then a newbie

Jack in Wilmington
05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Do i care what you believe? and Did i ask for your opinion? .... and i consider myself more then a newbie

As a matter of fact you did ask my opinion and everyone elses by stating your question. If you don't like the answers that's too bad. You came to this forum for advice, if we hurt your precious little feelings.............. Get over it.

Hyfi
05-31-2009, 05:05 AM

Don't expect any further help from me and probably the rest of the folks here.

And by the way, both the Denon and Yamaha receivers are both Japanese CRAP! Why don't you look for some real gear to go with your High End JBLs? What a joke. If you didn't get it this time, I just dissed your gear.

Time to open mouth and insert other foot. See ya.

BallinWithNash
05-31-2009, 05:01 PM
alright ... i got my @ss kicked by everyone ... my bad ... sorry for my "jack@ssness"... i will appreciate any further help ... sorry and thanks

pixelthis
05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
alright ... i got my @ss kicked by everyone ... my bad ... sorry for my "jack@ssness"... i will appreciate any further help ... sorry and thanks

Its alright to have crappy gear, just dont brag about it.
And some of your stuff is rather "decent".
The point is that I am broke and have around six grand of gear (why I am broke, probaby).
The pyles and jbls are like blunt force instruments, B&W and velodyne a little more precise.
The cheapest B&W kills any JBL, POLK, etc.:1:

BallinWithNash
05-31-2009, 05:35 PM
"why i am broke probably hahaha" .... to my opinion the two best pieces of gear to the ear i have are my Crown amp and my Polk RT35's ... i was very impresses with these cheap crappy little speakers ... and i want to eventually get Dynaudio or B&W's ... just not in the price range now :(

BallinWithNash
05-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Pixel on your B&W's did you Bi-Wire them? I have never personally tried bi-wiring but i have read that there isn't really that much of an advantage of doing it.

pixelthis
05-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Pixel on your B&W's did you Bi-Wire them? I have never personally tried bi-wiring but i have read that there isn't really that much of an advantage of doing it.

A waste of time, really.
My first Denon HT type receiver was designed with that in mind, at that time I had just purchased my first Beemers, 305s2 floorstanders.
AT least I couldnt tell any diff, but the Brits are very up on this.
All it does is bypass your xover, if you have a crappy xover (or a broken one) it might make a difference:1:

BallinWithNash
05-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok, thank you. And yes my Denon is designed for that but im not using it and was just wondering if you were ... thanks again

Hyfi
06-01-2009, 03:43 AM
A waste of time, really.

Not a waste of time if done properly. You shouldn't biwire with a receiver anyway, that is the waste. If your going to do it, you use a pre amp and two(2) amps, different amps. You run the highs with an amp that excels in midrange and highs. You run the bottom end with an amp that compliments lows.

Using a biwire cable and the same receiver/amp on the other end is useless since your sending the same signal which the speaker does not care if split or not, it's still just the same signal.

markw
06-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Not a waste of time if done properly. You shouldn't biwire with a receiver anyway, that is the waste. If your going to do it, you use a pre amp and two(2) amps, different amps. You run the highs with an amp that excels in midrange and highs. You run the bottom end with an amp that compliments lows.What you're describing is not bi-wiring. It''s bi-amping, and it's best accomplished by using an active crossover between the preamp and the power amps.

Using a biwire cable and the same receiver/amp on the other end is useless since your sending the same signal which the speaker does not care if split or not, it's still just the same signal.No argument there.

Worf101
06-01-2009, 04:53 AM
In the words of that great 20th Century philosopher Rodney King...

"Can't we all just get along?"

I guess the answer's a resounding NO!

Nein
Nyet
Never
Nada

Yipes...

Da Worfster

pixelthis
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
In the words of that great 20th Century philosopher Rodney King...

"Can't we all just get along?"

I guess the answer's a resounding NO!

Nein
Nyet
Never
Nada

Yipes...

Da Worfster

Wouldnt have 100,000 nukes on the planet iffen we could.:1:

GMichael
06-01-2009, 01:45 PM
How did I miss this thread? Holy meltdown Batman.
Pixy, are you OK? Where are your usual pointed comments? How dare you come here and be all nice and helpful. What is this forum coming to?

Luvin Da Blues
06-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Pixy, are you OK? Where are your usual pointed comments? How dare you come here and be all nice and helpful. What is this forum coming to?

It's a setup...and I'm not biting. :nono:

Jokin' Pix.....I, for one, get a kick outta yer posts.

pixelthis
06-01-2009, 10:40 PM

WHY I really dont know what you mean, I mean, me unpleasant?
Pish tosh!
Actually, beleive it or not, I actually got another greenie!
Makes two.
How about that?
Anyway doc says the meds wear off soon.:1:

Hyfi
06-02-2009, 04:56 AM
What you're describing is not bi-wiring. It''s bi-amping, and it's best accomplished by using an active crossover between the preamp and the power amps.

True, but that is the only real way bi-wiring has much promise. Otherwise, you may want to use two separate amps from an HT receiver but use different gauge wire for top and bottom.

Most bi-wire cables are two amp connections of two wires each and split off into four leads for the speakers. All this does is eliminate the jumpers, nothing more.

GMichael
06-02-2009, 05:09 AM
WHY I really dont know what you mean, I mean, me unpleasant?
Pish tosh!
Actually, beleive it or not, I actually got another greenie!
Makes two.
How about that?
Anyway doc says the meds wear off soon.:1:

I'm so confused.
:arf:

markw
06-02-2009, 05:48 AM
True, but that is the only real way bi-wiring has much promise. Otherwise, you may want to use two separate amps from an HT receiver but use different gauge wire for top and bottom.

Most bi-wire cables are two amp connections of two wires each and split off into four leads for the speakers. All this does is eliminate the jumpers, nothing more.Bi-WIRING and bi-AMPING are two distinctly different issues. Isn't about time you learned some of the basic terminology and used it properly instead of confusing newbies?

http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring

Hyfi
06-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Bi-WIRING and bi-AMPING are two distinctly different issues. Isn't about time you learned some of the basic terminology and used it properly instead of confusing newbies?

http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/the-difference-between-biamping-vs-biwiring

My bad, I thought this guy wasn't a newbie.

BallinWithNash
06-02-2009, 06:33 PM
yes i know the difference between biwiring and biamping and i would use my marantz for the highs and denon for the lows ... but im not going to do it because I have heard most people say there isn't a noticeable difference

pixelthis
06-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm so confused.
:arf:

What's your point?
You are named after a bankrupt auto company, after all:1: