Grabbed my first Luxman today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grabbed my first Luxman today

thekid
05-25-2009, 03:22 PM
My CL addiction paid off again today. The best deals are usually the most simple titled posts and that has been where I have found some of my "diamonds in the rough". This listing was just listed as speakers. I have heard good things about Luxman and since this one suppossedly listed for $700 when it first came out I thought I give it a shot. The owner insisted that the speakers had to go with the reciever so I reluctantly had to take the New Large Advents home as well. All for an out the door price of $40....... :D

audio amateur
05-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice! Don't you already own a pair of Advents?

Feanor
05-25-2009, 03:50 PM
My CL addiction paid off again today. The best deals are usually the most simple titled posts and that has been where I have found some of my "diamonds in the rough". This listing was just listed as speakers. I have heard good things about Luxman and since this one suppossedly listed for $700 when it first came out I thought I give it a shot. The owner insisted that the speakers had to go with the reciever so I reluctantly had to take the New Large Advents home as well. All for an out the door price of $40....... :D

Nice score, Kid.

The Luxman had/have a very good reputation for sound are, of course, amongst the handsomest looking units their era -- or any era.

See Luxman pics and brochures here (http://luxman.fotopic.net/).

thekid
05-25-2009, 04:32 PM
AA- You are correct, I do have a pair of the original Large Advents but the owner said it was an all in one deal. She originally wanted $50 which was at least what I have seen the Luxman for sale on the Bay so when I offered $40 and the Advents were part of the deal I figured it come down to paying $20 for each piece which is a great price for NLA's anyway.

Feanor- Thanks for the pics and brochures. The rosewood venner for the cabinet is a nice touch. I have it hooked it up to the KLH-17's playing some Baroque and it seems to be a very good match.

Mr Peabody
05-25-2009, 05:44 PM
I bought a Luxman receiver off Ebay for my brother, I actually am holding on to it now for him. If your unit is similar you will find it extremely detailed and clean but it could use some punch in the bottom end. Well built as well.

You did get a crazy good deal.

RoadRunner6
05-25-2009, 09:16 PM
I reluctantly had to take the New Large Advents home as well.

Kid, you are such a sweet guy to take those Advents off that lady. She probably said to herself, "I really soaked that poor guy getting $40 for that old junk! Now I've got enough for that Bose Wave Radio I've been saving for."

:eek6: :arf: :sosp: :thumbsup:

thekid
05-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Mr.P- I agree with your description. Prior to matching this piece up with the 17's I thought the were pretty good speakers but a little lacking on upper end but its there plus some now. The bass seems pretty good though the KLH's IMO always were a bit shy there compared to my Advents.
A quick question that you might be able to answer. When I power it up the power button flashes for a few seconds there is no sound and then it works flawlessly. It almost seems like it is doing some sort diagnostic test. Is that normal?

RR6 - What can I say-I am a giver...
If I can spread a little bit of happiness to this woman or the guy that sold me the KLH 17's for $10 then I can rest easy knowing I have made this world and this economy just a little better........... :)

Mr Peabody
05-26-2009, 05:19 AM
It sounds like Luxman is either ahead of their time or that may be a comparatively newer model. That delay sounds like what many amps do now, have a bit of a warm up or safety delay before fully coming on.

Feanor
05-26-2009, 05:33 AM
It sounds like Luxman is either ahead of their time or that may be a comparatively newer model. That delay sounds like what many amps do now, have a bit of a warm up or safety delay before fully coming on.

Looks like a receiver in the R-10x0 series, maybe an R-1050. They were made in the 1978-1980 range, as I recall.

basite
05-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Congrats with the Luxman, looks like an R-1050, which was a great receiver. take good care of it :)
and have fun!!

AA- You are correct, I do have a pair of the original Large Advents but the owner said it was an all in one deal. She originally wanted $50 which was at least what I have seen the Luxman for sale on the Bay so when I offered $40 and the Advents were part of the deal I figured it come down to paying $20 for each piece which is a great price for NLA's anyway.

I feel a Double Advent system is coming up :D

place these advents top down on the other pair (so the tweeters are close to eachother), and run them in parallell. Use a good, stable amp to drive them, and prepare to be amazed by how they sound... :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
05-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Very nice, kid...very nice

Mr Peabody
05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
I checked the model of the Luxman I have and it's a R-1050
http://www.thevintageknob.org/LUXMAN/R1050/R1050-specs.html

thekid
05-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks to all for your responses. I apologize for leaving out the model number. The model I have is a R-1050.

I wonder Mr.P if your 1050 does not do the warm up thing that mine has been modded somewhere along the line. The owner said it had belonged to her son but that it was a gift from a friend who appeared to be an audio enthusiast since she mentioned all of the tube gear this person had in his collection. I am including a picture of it opened up so maybe someone familiar with these might be able to see if there are any signs it has been modified from the original.

Basite-I have heard about the stacked Advent concept and am tempted but I need to get a turntable for my daughter's set-up and my brother looks like he might be willing trade back a Technics SL-1500 I had given him for the NLA's. Plus I kind of like my vintage amps and I don't think I have anything strong enough to power are pair of Advents in series. It is a nice problem to have though.........

Feanor- Thanks for the link. I had seen it before and that is where I had seen the supposed original MSRP of $700. I don't know if that price is accurate but I would not doubt it based on performance.

Mr Peabody
05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention, the slow turn on must be a safety feature of the Luxman because mine does do that as well and it seems like a pretty good while, a minute or more. The only unit I've ever seen take longer was my CJ preamp.

My brother had this one serviced once to only find it was an internal fuse that blew. Apparently, the receiver was designed to last.

thekid
05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention, the slow turn on must be a safety feature of the Luxman because mine does do that as well and it seems like a pretty good while, a minute or more. The only unit I've ever seen take longer was my CJ preamp.

My brother had this one serviced once to only find it was an internal fuse that blew. Apparently, the receiver was designed to last.

Mr. P

Thank you for confirming the delay issue!!
I was afraid it was possibly an electrical issue but it looks like other than the bulb issue I have a piece in very good working and cosmetic condition.

thekid
05-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Found some additional info on that confirms the power button delay feature. pretty nice write up as well.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/receivers.html

Luxman R-1050 (1977). A knowledgable source reports that the rosewood-veneered R-1050 was the most popular of the 1000 series receivers. It is essentially an amalgamation of the L-80 amplifier and a simplified version of their Reference series 5T10 tuner. It has a 4-gang variable capacitor for FM and 3 gangs for AM, followed by careful IF processing using a combination of ceramic and regular passive LC filters. A Dolby-FM upgrade module was also available. There is a built-in ferrite rod antenna for AM, plus an extra AM antenna input, as well as 75- and 300-Ohm FM antenna inputs. There are separate controls for stereo/mono switching and muting, and signal strength and center-tuning meters. There is also an internal control for 50 uS/75 uS FM de-emphasis.

Our source adds: "The amp section, rated at 50 WPC into 8 Ohms, includes a then very novel feature: an LED peak meter, calibrated in dB, with two ranges. The receiver includes a well-appointed preamp section with 5 inputs: phono 1 and 2, aux and tape 1 and 2. The standard bass and treble controls are included, as well as a high and low cut filter, loudness and mono mode switch (which is also used for the tuner mode). Tape monitoring and dubbing are handled by separate controls. The balance control is hiding in the top row of buttons. The R-1050 inherits a huge transformer and 20000uF worth of filter caps from the L-80, as well as 95% of the power amp circuit, including the massive inboard heatsink. The amp features full overcurrent, DC and temperature protection, as well as a delayed speaker turn-on, with a front panel indicator next to the power button, that flashes during the delay and goes on permanently if there is a fault condition. The preamp is somewhat simplified compared to the L-80, but still very well appointed. The phono preamp is situated right on the input terminals, for best noise rejection."

billw
11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
my 1978 Luxman R1050 is still kicking it in the garage to a couple of pairs of small Advents. Had some fuse blowing bias problems initially probably caused by very VERY heavy bass at that time and maybe playing into 4 ohm Norman Lab model 10's. My roommate liked the bass! We had problems in the apartment complex - WE were the noisy neighbor. Still have the Normans too. Cannot part with great sound. The Luxman was relegated to the garage because it is 2 channel stereo, no remote control and the home theater took over the home.
Some reports of poor reliability are out there but maybe it's like lightbulbs - they work or they don't; you get a good one or you don't. lucky me. hope you're lucky too!
bw

thekid
11-14-2009, 04:27 AM
Billw- Welcome to AR!

You are right about the bulb issue. I have one on the end that needs replacing and it looks like it is a bear to get at. Right now my 1050 is sitting idle waiting for me to figure where it goes next but most likely it will end up in a small system in a spare bedroom.

Charlie04SiR
11-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi Kid, what a sweet find!

poppachubby
11-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Mr. P

Thank you for confirming the delay issue!!
I was afraid it was possibly an electrical issue but it looks like other than the bulb issue I have a piece in very good working and cosmetic condition.

I'll say, did you clean it up yourself? Looks like someone took a toothbrush to it, nice work kid...