PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bennett, formerly of Wilco, dead

MindGoneHaywire
05-25-2009, 10:36 AM
The guy was 45 & died in his sleep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/arts/music/26benn.html?_r=1&ref=music

jonnyhambone
05-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Makes me sad that dudes such as this can't afford health insurance. He added a good feel to some of the Wilco stuff.

RoadRunner6
05-25-2009, 09:26 PM
It didn't say he couldn't afford health insurance. It said he "did not have proper health insurance."

Looks like he had enough money for cigarettes. I know lots of dudes who don't have health, property or auto insurance but have plenty of money for other priorities.

jonnyhambone
05-25-2009, 09:41 PM
well, ok, sounds like he'd have liked to get himself fixed though, and couldn't, or didn't. Kinda sad is all I'm sayin'...

RoadRunner6
05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah it's really too bad at that young age. Even severe hip pain shouldn't cause death unless it was an artery, etc. I'll be curious to find out what the actual cause of death was.

Mr MidFi
05-26-2009, 06:08 AM
As a longtime fan, this makes me sad. I'm playing the Pieholden Suite as I type this. Definitely died too young, although I always regard someone younger than myself dying to be 'far too young'.

Here's an obit written by someone who knew him fairly well...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/chi-0526-jay-bennettmay26,0,4302659.story

3-LockBox
05-26-2009, 07:49 AM
wow...not a great way to go...not necessarily just the physical condition, but to have been part of something into which you poured a lot of soul, only to watch others benefit while you're cut out at the 11th hour...yuck.

Swish
05-26-2009, 05:04 PM
wow...not a great way to go...not necessarily just the physical condition, but to have been part of something into which you poured a lot of soul, only to watch others benefit while you're cut out at the 11th hour...yuck.

...differences. It happened very recently with The Shins, which I found out after the recent show, and, of course, with Wilco. Let's face it, James Mercer is The Shins, and Jeff Tweedy is the creative force behind Wilco. He could insert almost any professional musicians in the other spots and lose very little. The same could be said for The Shins, Spoon, and prolly a ton of others where one guy is the lead singer/song writer/guitarist. I feel bad for the guy, but arguing with Tweedy was a losing proposition. I'd like to see the particulars on that lawsuit.

3-LockBox
05-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Bands have squabbels all the time over creative differences

Oh sure, I weren't sayin Tweedy was Shyerl Crow or nuttin ;)

But to have that kind of unrequited effort, so to speak...musta been tough for him. But yeah, its Tweedy's gig - if Tweedy sez "set distortion to stun", then that'd better be what they do.

jonnyhambone
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
here's his last session on Daytrotter from 2007...a pretty cool, honest interview and some good tunes for the free d/load too.

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/jay-bennett-session/20030079-3188.html
:20:

-Jar-
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Wow, I didn't hear this until just now. Very sad.

Swish
06-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Wow, I didn't hear this until just now. Very sad.

Seriously though, you've been missed. How are you and your young family doing? Hope all is well and it's good to see you checking in on RR. I hope you don't wait too long to post again.

Swishdaddy.

-Jar-
06-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Seriously though, you've been missed. How are you and your young family doing? Hope all is well and it's good to see you checking in on RR. I hope you don't wait too long to post again.

Swishdaddy.

Hey Swish..

Things are going pretty well here in lovely Parma. Other than trying to find good schools for our kids, and dealing with idiots here, things are fine. Nice to see many of the same old gang still posting here. It's gotta be over 10 years for some of you. I don't remember when my first post was.. sometime in 2000 I think. Whooo!

Take it easy,
Mason

MindGoneHaywire
06-11-2009, 05:11 PM
9 years for me.

Jar who?

Hey!

3LB
06-11-2009, 05:27 PM
It's gotta be over 10 years for some of you. I don't remember when my first post was.. sometime in 2000 I think. Whooo!

Yeah, most of us have been here longer than the join date says.

But where did the Mason part go?

-Jar-
06-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, most of us have been here longer than the join date says.

But where did the Mason part go?

I changed it at some point. I can't even remember why. Same old Mason Jar.

Mr MidFi
06-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Wow, good to see you, Mason! You are definitely missed around these parts.

What are you listening to these days?!?

-Jar-
06-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Wow, good to see you, Mason! You are definitely missed around these parts.

What are you listening to these days?!?

As I mentioned in the other thread, some Lucinda Williams with my family. We're all digging her music.

As for other things, old comps basically.. mine, yours, everyone elses. I always seem to find something new that jumps out at me on those things.. :)

Not much really "new" going on here.

I like:

Mew
Arcade Fire
Silversun Pickups
Interpol
Editors
TV on the Radio

I heard a track by this other neo-Joy Division band called White Lies. Big, huge early 80's sound. Totally over the top. I've been meaning to check 'em out more.

Been listening to a lot of Loreena McKinnit and some other new age stuff.

Mahler, Bruckner as always.

Old thrash and death metal. I find that stuff oddly comforting...

3LB
06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I think that might have heard that a few weeks ago. I was thinking the same thing, though I think they lean more toward Echo & The Bunnymen, although with song titles like Death and To Lose My Life they prolly do take cues from Joy Division.

There is an abundance of bands plying that post-punk, goth-techno trade today. I don't hate it, but let's see if this retro fad lasts any longer than the retro-jangle-rock fad or retro-'60s-acidpop fad of the last decade.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I heard a track by this other neo-Joy Division band called White Lies. Big, huge early 80's sound. Totally over the top. I've been meaning to check 'em out more.

Hey jar,

Very cool to see that old familiar moniker - hope you can stick around a little. This thread is like old home week with JC and you making all too infrequent appearances, maybe Snowbunny and Rae and Chrisnz will show up too.

That White Lies album is pretty cool. The use of synth brings to mind an old fave of mine - The Sound and their album From the Lion's Mouth. like you say; big, epic sound that sounds like it would kick-ass live. The album is pretty strong front to back - I think you'd like. PM me if you'd like a hook-up.