Panny 60 Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Panny 60 Help

s dog
05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
My local hi-if shop finally got in the new BLU-RAY panny 60 dvd player, So i took one home for $279.00, I thought that was a good deal, Ok here we go, I have the video hooked up to my 42 LG plasma 720p model 42pc5d, With a HDMI cable, And the audio is run to my old denon 4800 receiver with a optical cable. There are a few things im not sure about. Well maybe more than a few.
VIDEO
1 ? - 24p output - on or off ?

2 ? - black level control - light or darker ?

3 ? - seamless play - on or off ?

4 ? - hdmi resolution is set to auto - right or wrong ?

AUDIO

1 ? - I have audio set to digital audio output, bitstream, is this right. ?

2 ? - dynamic range compression - on - off - or auto ?

3 ? - pcm down conversion - off or on ?

4 ? - downmix - stereo or surround encoded ?

I would surely be thankful for any help.

pixelthis
05-24-2009, 10:51 PM
My local hi-if shop finally got in the new BLU-RAY panny 60 dvd player, So i took one home for $279.00, I thought that was a good deal, Ok here we go, I have the video hooked up to my 42 LG plasma 720p model 42pc5d, With a HDMI cable, And the audio is run to my old denon 4800 receiver with a optical cable. There are a few things im not sure about. Well maybe more than a few.
VIDEO
[QUOTE] 1 ? - 24p output - on or off ?

OFF, 720P cant handle it, set your player to 720p

2 ? - black level control - light or darker ?

I keep mine dark when possible, most modern displays have trouble with Black level

3 ? - seamless play - on or off ?

You're choice

4 ? - hdmi resolution is set to auto - right or wrong ?

YOU CAN SET IT TO 720P OR "AUTO", both will work

AUDIO

1 ? - I have audio set to digital audio output, bitstream, is this right. ?

Set it to "dolby digital". for some reason you have to enable DTS in a lot of BLU players.
Best way is the multichannel out of you have it, you're player might be able to handle
some codecs, mine can play 5.1 lossless for instance

2 ? - dynamic range compression - on - off - or auto ?

If you don't like sudden loud noise then turn it on, this is mainly handy for late night listening , helps keep from waking the neighbors and the old
' "sperm bank". Otherwise its a waste to pay for exelent dynamic range and cut it off,
IMHO.

3 ? - pcm down conversion - off or on ?

OFF

4 ? - downmix - stereo or surround encoded ?

Surround, but you shouldnt be "downmixing" anything, really

I would surely be thankful for any help.

The best "help" you can get is to read the instruction manuel, every player is different
and your panasonic might be different than my Sony, I don't have "seamless" play for instance, unless that refers to seamless branching.
Read the instructions, this aint no four slot toaster.:1:

s dog
05-25-2009, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=s dog]My local hi-if shop finally got in the new BLU-RAY panny 60 dvd player, So i took one home for $279.00, I thought that was a good deal, Ok here we go, I have the video hooked up to my 42 LG plasma 720p model 42pc5d, With a HDMI cable, And the audio is run to my old denon 4800 receiver with a optical cable. There are a few things im not sure about. Well maybe more than a few.
VIDEO

OFF, 720P cant handle it, set your player to 720p

I keep mine dark when possible, most modern displays have trouble with Black level

You're choice

YOU CAN SET IT TO 720P OR "AUTO", both will work

AUDIO

Set it to "dolby digital". for some reason you have to enable DTS in a lot of BLU players.
Best way is the multichannel out of you have it, you're player might be able to handle
some codecs, mine can play 5.1 lossless for instance

If you don't like sudden loud noise then turn it on, this is mainly handy for late night listening , helps keep from waking the neighbors and the old
' "sperm bank". Otherwise its a waste to pay for exelent dynamic range and cut it off,
IMHO.

OFF

Surround, but you shouldnt be "downmixing" anything, really

The best "help" you can get is to read the instruction manuel, every player is different
and your panasonic might be different than my Sony, I don't have "seamless" play for instance, unless that refers to seamless branching.
Read the instructions, this aint no four slot toaster.:1:

Thanks for your help, I think everything is setup right, As for the audio, The digtal audio output menu only gives you two choices BITSTREAM or PCM , I have it set to bitstream, What this does is turn BR dvd's with a DTS-HD sound track in to reg DTS-ES on my receiver and TURE DD sound track in to reg DD, at lest that what the display on the front of my denon 4800 receiver shows, I will say this much, I watched the movie [ TAKEN, BR ] last night and it looked and sounded pretty dam good, Gun fire hit really hard, Even hooked up to a old receiver the sound was better than a standerd dvd, I can only image how much better it would sound on a high res receiver. Thanks again for the help.

Woochifer
05-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your help, I think everything is setup right, As for the audio, The digtal audio output menu only gives you two choices BITSTREAM or PCM , I have it set to bitstream, What this does is turn BR dvd's with a DTS-HD sound track in to reg DTS-ES on my receiver and TURE DD sound track in to reg DD, at lest that what the display on the front of my denon 4800 receiver shows, I will say this much, I watched the movie [ TAKEN, BR ] last night and it looked and sounded pretty dam good, Gun fire hit really hard, Even hooked up to a old receiver the sound was better than a standerd dvd, I can only image how much better it would sound on a high res receiver. Thanks again for the help.

Your setup seems right, except for the 1080p24 setting, which you can try out and see if it causes any issues with your TV. Most newer sets can handle the signal, a lot of older ones cannot. This has nothing to do with the resolution, but rather how the TV matches a film-based source to the 60 Hz refresh rate (film cameras use a frame speed of 24fps, whereas video sources are recorded in multiples of 30fps). Some people indicated that the 1080p24 setting causes visible flickering, while others say that it produces a more film-like image with movies.

With the audio, DTS is a scalable format, so the DTS-HD signal is completely compatible with any DTS decoder. DTS-HD will only output at lossless resolution with a HDMI connection. On optical connections, the resolution will simply cap out at 1.5k, which is already double the 763k DTS resolution used on most DVDs. 1.5k DTS sounds incredible, and while only a handful of DVDs used that resolution, nearly all of the DTS tracks that come with Blu-ray discs will output at 1.5k through the optical audio output.

Dolby Digital is less seamless in that it requires separate DD TrueHD and DD soundtracks, and once again only the standard DD track can be output through the optical audio output. But, as with DTS, the Dolby Digital used on Blu-ray discs is a step up from the version used on DVDs.

When DD was first introduced with the Laserdisc format, it used a standard resolution of 640k. With the DVD, the maximum DD resolution supported was 448k, which degraded the audio quality and surround effect by channel joining the high frequencies above 10 kHz (the 384k variant, which is used on many DVDs as well as all HDTV broadcasts, channel joins the highs at 7 kHz). With Blu-ray, the standard Dolby Digital once again uses the 640k version, which noticeably improves the audio quality.

RoadRunner6
05-25-2009, 10:03 PM
The best "help" you can get is Instruction Manuel

Sorry but Manuel the Instructor is only available with electronics assembled in Mexico! :D

pixelthis
05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
24P will not work with a 720p set, they dont have have the nessesary 72hz
refresh rate.
Why 72hz? This is three times 24, three frames of each are shown for a total of 72 frames a second, hence no 3:2 pulldown or other compromises.
Not to mention that 24p is tied to a 1080p picture, which a 720p set cant handle ,
so teh point is moot, anyway.:1:

Woochifer
05-25-2009, 10:34 PM
24P will not work with a 720p set, they dont have have the nessesary 72hz
refresh rate.

Of course they will work because you get a visible picture using 3:2 pulldown. Most 1080p sets use the same 60 Hz refresh rate that most 720p sets use, yet most of the 60 Hz HDTVs currently on the market will also display a 24p signal.

There are many older HDTVs (including some 1080p models) that will not display a 24p signal, but most HDTVs (including many 720p models) from about the last two years can accept a 24p input. The presence of a 48 Hz, 72 Hz, or 120 Hz mode is not necessary to display a 24p signal on any TV that can process the signal.

Why 72hz? This is three times 24, three frames of each are shown for a total of 72 frames a second, hence no 3:2 pulldown or other compromises.

Bear in mind that most of the 120 Hz TVs from last year still applied the 3:2 pulldown followed by a 2:2 frame repeat, rather than the 5:5 frame repeating that they should have used in order to display the picture using even multiples. Only the 120 Hz Sonys did this frame repeating correctly. Thankfully, the newer 120 Hz TVs coming out this year are mostly doing the 5:5 frame repeating correctly.

Not to mention that 24p is tied to a 1080p picture, which a 720p set cant handle ,
so teh point is moot, anyway.:1:

Any compatible 720p TV can handle a 24p signal -- just won't display it at the native 1080p resolution. At some point, the signal gets rescaled. Notice that the menu option specifies "24p Output". This is consistent with Panasonic's terminology in which their compatible 720p HDTVs also specify "24p Playback" as a feature.

pixelthis
05-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Of course they will work because you get a visible picture using 3:2 pulldown. Most 1080p sets use the same 60 Hz refresh rate that most 720p sets use, yet most of the 60 Hz HDTVs currently on the market will also display a 24p signal.

You get a "visible" signal running the picture through composite, but is that HD?
Of course not.
And of course you will get a "visible" picture with a set set to 24p, but it wont be 24p.
The only time 24p works is with a 1080p picture, I have looked at several blu players and they all have 24p associated with 1080p

There are many older HDTVs (including some 1080p models) that will not display a 24p signal, but most HDTVs (including many 720p models) from about the last two years can accept a 24p input. The presence of a 48 Hz, 72 Hz, or 120 Hz mode is not necessary to display a 24p signal on any TV that can process the signal.

Thats not what I am saying, I AM SAYING THAT in order to acheive any benefit
your set needs the proper circuittry and needs to be able to display at a 72 rate.
24p is useless unless a set meets certain citeria

Bear in mind that most of the 120 Hz TVs from last year still applied the 3:2 pulldown followed by a 2:2 frame repeat, rather than the 5:5 frame repeating that they should have used in order to display the picture using even multiples. Only the 120 Hz Sonys did this frame repeating correctly. Thankfully, the newer 120 Hz TVs coming out this year are mostly doing the 5:5 frame repeating correctly.

Any compatible 720p TV can handle a 24p signal -- just won't display it at the native 1080p resolution. At some point, the signal gets rescaled. Notice that the menu option specifies "24p Output". This is consistent with Panasonic's terminology in which their compatible 720p HDTVs also specify "24p Playback" as a feature.

Well, unless those 720p sets can run at 72 the "feature" is worthless.
I am not saying it wont display the picture in some form or other, you just wont get the benefit, and the panny sets very well might run at 72, but if they dont you are not getting any benefit from this.:1:

Woochifer
05-27-2009, 07:46 AM
You get a "visible" signal running the picture through composite, but is that HD?
Of course not.

And a visible signal is not the same thing as ""will not work" or "cant handle".

Thats not what I am saying, I AM SAYING THAT in order to acheive any benefit
your set needs the proper circuittry and needs to be able to display at a 72 rate.
24p is useless unless a set meets certain citeria

Don't "need" a 72 rate in order to natively display a 24p signal -- simply any whole number multiple of 24. Panasonic's HDTVs with a native 24p mode use a 48 Hz refresh rate.

Well, unless those 720p sets can run at 72 the "feature" is worthless.
I am not saying it wont display the picture in some form or other, you just wont get the benefit, and the panny sets very well might run at 72, but if they dont you are not getting any benefit from this.:1:

It's not worthless because the TV itself might do a better job at implementing the 3:2 pulldown than the player, which the player does when it creates a 1080p60 signal. For the original poster, there's no harm in trying the 24p mode to see for themselves whether they they get any benefit, provided that the TV can accept a 24p input in the first place.

Only Panasonic's high end models have a native 48 Hz mode for 24p playback -- and by most reviews, last year's models did a poor job of implementing it and actually looked better using 3:2 pulldown at 60 Hz (this year's sets have supposedly dealt with this issue). All the others use the 24p compatibility mode using 3:2 pulldown.

pixelthis
05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
And a visible signal is not the same thing as ""will not work" or "cant handle".

Not really.
A lot of things "will not work" but you get the default, you get something but not what you're looking for, because that doesnt work
Like the old pro-logic, you dont have a decoder, you get stereo.
The pro-logic doesnt work

Don't "need" a 72 rate in order to natively display a 24p signal -- simply any whole number multiple of 24. Panasonic's HDTVs with a native 24p mode use a 48 Hz refresh rate.
This isnt the industry standard, just some bastardized version that isnt implemented very well

It's not worthless because the TV itself might do a better job at implementing the 3:2 pulldown than the player, which the player does when it creates a 1080p60 signal. For the original poster, there's no harm in trying the 24p mode to see for themselves whether they they get any benefit, provided that the TV can accept a 24p input in the first place.

And if it doesnt the picture goes off, and you have to futze around trying to get it back

Only Panasonic's high end models have a native 48 Hz mode for 24p playback -- and by most reviews, last year's models did a poor job of implementing it and actually looked better using 3:2 pulldown at 60 Hz (this year's sets have supposedly dealt with this issue). All the others use the 24p compatibility mode using 3:2 pulldown.

More nonsense from the Panny shill.
The entire purpose of 24p in the first place was to get rid of 3:2, which has always had problems and is an imperfect solution.
With 24p you just show three of each frame for 72, simple and elegant.
3:2 has nothing to do with it, which is the point of 24p in the first place.
STANDARDS havent been set yet, but I bet that the panny 48hz will go the way of the dino.:1:

Woochifer
05-28-2009, 11:37 AM
More nonsense from the Panny shill.

When facts aren't on your side, and your "will not work" and "cant handle" screeds are pointed out as incorrect, this is your typical response. :sleep:

With 24p you just show three of each frame for 72, simple and elegant.

I don't know why you're so fixated on that 72 number, because a 24p output will be natively displayed with any set that can vary the refresh rate in multiples of 24 and do the frame repeating properly.

3:2 has nothing to do with it, which is the point of 24p in the first place.

3:2 pulldown is how a 60 Hz TV (and most of last year's 120 Hz TVs) "handles" a 24p signal. 3:2 pulldown is how a BD player outputs a standard 1080p60 signal with film-based material (which is natively mastered at 1080p24).

The quality of the 3:2 pulldown implementation varies considerably -- sometimes the TV does it better, sometimes it's better done by the player. A TV that displays a 24p signal using 3:2 pulldown gives the consumer the option of checking which device produces a better picture.

For the original poster, it does no harm in checking whether their TV's processor produces a better picture with a 24p output (provided that the TV can display a 24p signal), or if the picture looks better by letting the BD player handle the 3:2 pulldown internally and output the signal at 1080p60. I don't why you wouldn't want someone to try it out and see for themselves.

STANDARDS havent been set yet, but I bet that the panny 48hz will go the way of the dino.:1:

Standards are a mess, given that most of last year's 120 Hz TVs used a combination of 3:2 pulldown with 2:2 frame repeating. Only Sony correctly used whole number multiples, and only this year are other 120 Hz TV makers going with 5:5 frame repeating.

Panasonic has already gone to a 96 Hz refresh rate on this year's higher end models, so that would presumably resolve the issues they had with last year's models.

pixelthis
05-29-2009, 12:13 AM
When facts aren't on your side, and your "will not work" and "cant handle" screeds are pointed out as incorrect, this is your typical response. :sleep:
Not my fault iof you can't understand basic english.
The purpose of 24p is to eliminate artifacts that result from 3:2 pulldown.
IF A SET DOESNT HANDLE 24P by producing three frames each or 24(for 72)
then it will not work, in other words produce the desired result.
It may convert to something else, it may not show a picture at all.
But if its not showing 24p(72) it is not producing the desired result.
You might see the picture but not the picture desired.
Go out on a date with a woman that turns out to be a man in drag, you will still be on a date, just not the type of date you intended

I don't know why you're so fixated on that 72 number, because a 24p output will be natively displayed with any set that can vary the refresh rate in multiples of 24 and do the frame repeating properly.

So says the panny shill whose company tried to "cheap out" by producing only two frames of each for 48hz, with less than stellar results.
I am not "fixated" on 72, that is the standard

3:2 pulldown is how a 60 Hz TV (and most of last year's 120 Hz TVs) "handles" a 24p signal. 3:2 pulldown is how a BD player outputs a standard 1080p60 signal with film-based material (which is natively mastered at 1080p24).

Which has nothing to do with how a blu player with 24p handles a 1080p picture, mainly at 72,
three frames for every one of the 24 in the picture
A set that can handle it will show it that way

The quality of the 3:2 pulldown implementation varies considerably -- sometimes the TV does it better, sometimes it's better done by the player. A TV that displays a 24p signal using 3:2 pulldown gives the consumer the option of checking which device produces a better picture.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING?
24P is a choice on the menu of the BLU player, your choice is to play it with that option chosen or not.
I have never seen a 24p option on a TV set.
You can output the Blu picture at a lower res and let the TV scaler resize it , but that would be silly

For the original poster, it does no harm in checking whether their TV's processor produces a better picture with a 24p output (provided that the TV can display a 24p signal), or if the picture looks better by letting the BD player handle the 3:2 pulldown internally and output the signal at 1080p60. I don't why you wouldn't want someone to try it out and see for themselves.
In other words cut off the 24p option and let the player give you a standard picture.
So why have 24p in the first place?

Standards are a mess, given that most of last year's 120 Hz TVs used a combination of 3:2 pulldown with 2:2 frame repeating. Only Sony correctly used whole number multiples, and only this year are other 120 Hz TV makers going with 5:5 frame repeating.
Back to the 120hz TV sets again.
This is new tech and will take time to hammer out, I am talking about 60hz sets

Panasonic has already gone to a 96 Hz refresh rate on this year's higher end models, so that would presumably resolve the issues they had with last year's models.
More nonstandard crap from your bosses:1:

Woochifer
05-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Not my fault iof you can't understand basic english.

Only if your definition of basic english includes grammatical lapses, questionable grasp of vocabulary, and typos galore. :out:

The purpose of 24p is to eliminate artifacts that result from 3:2 pulldown.
IF A SET DOESNT HANDLE 24P by producing three frames each or 24(for 72)
then it will not work, in other words produce the desired result.
It may convert to something else, it may not show a picture at all.
But if its not showing 24p(72) it is not producing the desired result.

And the only way for the OP to get the "desired result" is to buy a new TV. I'm simply suggesting that he try the option for himself and see whether he likes the 24p output better, if his TV can display a 24p signal to begin with. Just because someone's TV doesn't fit your definition of what's desirable, doesn't mean that a 24p signal won't give them some picture quality improvement. LG's newer TVs use very good video processors, so it's worth trying.

So says the panny shill whose company tried to "cheap out" by producing only two frames of each for 48hz, with less than stellar results.
I am not "fixated" on 72, that is the standard

72 is not a standard by any stretch, given that only a handful of TVs even use a 72 Hz refresh rate. If the 72 is the "standard" then where do the 120 Hz TVs fit, given that there are so many more of them?

Which has nothing to do with how a blu player with 24p handles a 1080p picture, mainly at 72,
three frames for every one of the 24 in the picture
A set that can handle it will show it that way

The standard output for a Blu-ray player is either 1080p24 or 1080p60 (with the native source for 1920 x 1080 resolution at either 1080p24 or 1080i60). The frame repeating is done either internally by the player at 3:2 (2:2 for video-based sources) and output at 1080p60, or by the TV at whatever ratio it uses (i.e., 2:2, 3:3, 4:4, 5:5, or 3:2/2:2). A set that can "handle" a 24p signal will display it. A set that cannot will show a blank screen.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING?
24P is a choice on the menu of the BLU player, your choice is to play it with that option chosen or not.
I have never seen a 24p option on a TV set.

Don't smoke, but thank you for your health concerns. :rolleyes:

Don't need a 24p "option" because the 60 Hz TVs that can play 24p signals detect it automatically. No different than how any video processor already detects film-based sources and applies the pulldown and/or frame repeating automatically.

You can output the Blu picture at a lower res and let the TV scaler resize it , but that would be silly

In other words cut off the 24p option and let the player give you a standard picture.
So why have 24p in the first place?

Like I said, because in some instances, the video processor inside the TV is better than the one used by a playback device. Anybody with a 60 Hz TV (which is the vast majority of HDTV owners) will need to have 3:2 pulldown applied to any film-based source at some stage. The 24p output simply outputs the native film-based BD signal and bypasses a processing stage inside the BD player, letting the TV handle it. If the TV does that processing better than the BD player, then the 24p output will provide a better picture. How would the option be a bad thing? Are you afraid of people trying things for themselves, rather than blindly believing everything that you post?

More nonstandard crap from your bosses:1:

:out:

pixelthis
05-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Only if your definition of basic english includes grammatical lapses, questionable grasp of vocabulary, and typos galore. :out:

A questionable vocabulary is better than a questionable grasp of logic, facts,
and the subject at hand

And the only way for the OP to get the "desired result" is to buy a new TV. I'm simply suggesting that he try the option for himself and see whether he likes the 24p output better, if his TV can display a 24p signal to begin with. Just because someone's TV doesn't fit your definition of what's desirable, doesn't mean that a 24p signal won't give them some picture quality improvement. LG's newer TVs use very good video processors, so it's worth trying.

You only have to buy a "new" tv if the old one doesnt work, and it would be rather silly to buy one for the benefit of 24p.
Typical drama queen antics

72 is not a standard by any stretch, given that only a handful of TVs even use a 72 Hz refresh rate. If the 72 is the "standard" then where do the 120 Hz TVs fit, given that there are so many more of them?

I dont know how a 120hz set would handle 24p, but its more likely to use 72p than anything else, and it will be easier for it to than a 60hz set

The standard output for a Blu-ray player is either 1080p24 or 1080p60 (with the native source for 1920 x 1080 resolution at either 1080p24 or 1080i60). The frame repeating is done either internally by the player at 3:2 (2:2 for video-based sources) and output at 1080p60, or by the TV at whatever ratio it uses (i.e., 2:2, 3:3, 4:4, 5:5, or 3:2/2:2). A set that can "handle" a 24p signal will display it. A set that cannot will show a blank screen.

What I have basically been saying

Don't need a 24p "option" because the 60 Hz TVs that can play 24p signals detect it automatically. No different than how any video processor already detects film-based sources and applies the pulldown and/or frame repeating automatically.

Again, what I said

Like I said, because in some instances, the video processor inside the TV is better than the one used by a playback device. Anybody with a 60 Hz TV (which is the vast majority of HDTV owners) will need to have 3:2 pulldown applied to any film-based source at some stage. The 24p output simply outputs the native film-based BD signal and bypasses a processing stage inside the BD player, letting the TV handle it. If the TV does that processing better than the BD player, then the 24p output will provide a better picture. How would the option be a bad thing? Are you afraid of people trying things for themselves, rather than blindly believing everything that you post?

No TV can do better than a straight 1080p source from a blu player, it cant improve it a whit.
Maybe the proc of a 2,000 set can beat a 30 dollar DVD player, sure, but a fifteen hundred
dollar set wont beat a 500 blu player, wont happen.:1:

:out:[/QUOTE]
NICE SIG, FITS YOU
Say hi to your masters to for me when you check into HQ.:1:

s dog
05-31-2009, 06:44 PM
I went ahead and turned on the 24p setting in the player and everything worked ok but im not sure if it made much difference in PQ, One other thing i noticed about my LGTV is that when you have it set to a HDMI input it will not let you turn the 3:2 pull down to on, When you get in to 3:2 pull down 24p and stuff like that, Im lost, For right now i have the 24p in the player set to on and the pull down in the tv is off because it wont let me turn it on, Maybe you dont need 3;2 with hdmi inputs ,Hell i dont know.

Woochifer
05-31-2009, 07:21 PM
A questionable vocabulary is better than a questionable grasp of logic, facts,
and the subject at hand

Don't know why you would think one is better than the other, given that your posts are typically lacking in all of the above. :out:

You only have to buy a "new" tv if the old one doesnt work, and it would be rather silly to buy one for the benefit of 24p.
Typical drama queen antics

Right, so that explains why you keep buying one new TV after another. :out: But, of course that would be changing the subject as you so often do. I was simply referring to the fact that someone does not necessarily need a new TV to get benefit of 24p if their TV can process a 24p signal.

I dont know how a 120hz set would handle 24p, but its more likely to use 72p than anything else, and it will be easier for it to than a 60hz set

Why would they use 72p when 5:5 frame repeating is how most of the new 120 Hz HDTVs handle a 24p signal? In none of the BD or HDTV specs do I see any references to native 72p signal outputs or sources. Just because you keep fixating and posting about that magical 72 number doesn't mean that it has any relevance to any standard.

The only standard outputs from a 1080p BD signal are either 24p or 60p. The only standard source signals on the BD itself are 1080p24 or 1080i60. The only standard that uses 72 is whatever imaginary one you keep repeating to yourself. :out:

No TV can do better than a straight 1080p source from a blu player, it cant improve it a whit.
Maybe the proc of a 2,000 set can beat a 30 dollar DVD player, sure, but a fifteen hundred
dollar set wont beat a 500 blu player, wont happen.:1:

Like I said, anyone with a 24p compatible TV can simply check for themselves which option works better. I'd rather let people try and decide for themselves with their own setup than make inane universal proclamations.

In my case, my PS3 does a better job at handling the 3:2 pulldown than my Panny TV does, so I leave the 24p output off. Given that the OP uses a Panny BD player (and quite possibly the same Panny video processing chip that my TV uses), then the video processor inside that LG could very well do a better job. All he has to do is try for himself.

Why are you resistant to someone putting your assertions to the test for themselves? Heaven forbid that they might arrive at a different conclusion from you, particularly since I get the impression that you don't even have a 24p compatible TV to form a conclusion about your own system let alone everybody else's setup.

NICE SIG, FITS YOU

Been using that emoticon in response to your posts for well over a year now. Nice of you to finally notice. But, FYI everybody else on this board has been interpreting my usage of it correctly, even if you don't (or pretend that you don't). :out:

Say hi to your masters to for me when you check into HQ.:1:

Better recheck your meds, your recall is starting to fade. Better make up your mind. Am I a government wonk or am I a paid shill for Panasonic? Of course, back in the real world, I am neither. Enjoy your delusional reality. You seem to function better in that rhelm... :out:

Woochifer
05-31-2009, 08:05 PM
I went ahead and turned on the 24p setting in the player and everything worked ok but im not sure if it made much difference in PQ, One other thing i noticed about my LGTV is that when you have it set to a HDMI input it will not let you turn the 3:2 pull down to on, When you get in to 3:2 pull down 24p and stuff like that, Im lost, For right now i have the 24p in the player set to on and the pull down in the tv is off because it wont let me turn it on, Maybe you dont need 3;2 with hdmi inputs ,Hell i dont know.

The difference, if any, will be most noticeable with slow panning motions or with the end credits on film-based sources. The device that does a better job with the 3:2 pulldown will have the least amount of visible juddering.

By default, a 60 Hz TV has to apply a 3:2 pulldown by default just to display a 24p signal. Unless your TV has a 48 Hz, 72 Hz, or 96 Hz mode, that might be why you don't have the option.

The 3:2 option on your TV might only be enabled for 480i sources. HDMI sources often output 480p as the lowest resolution signal, and the other higher resolutions (except for 1080p24) will likely already have the 3:2 pulldown applied before it gets output to your TV.

s dog
06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
The difference, if any, will be most noticeable with slow panning motions or with the end credits on film-based sources. The device that does a better job with the 3:2 pulldown will have the least amount of visible juddering.

By default, a 60 Hz TV has to apply a 3:2 pulldown by default just to display a 24p signal. Unless your TV has a 48 Hz, 72 Hz, or 96 Hz mode, that might be why you don't have the option.

The 3:2 option on your TV might only be enabled for 480i sources. HDMI sources often output 480p as the lowest resolution signal, and the other higher resolutions (except for 1080p24) will likely already have the 3:2 pulldown applied before it gets output to your TV.

I think your right about the 480i , because if i go to a component input which i think puts out 480i it will let me turn the 3;2 pull down on. Still can't get over how good dts blu-ray sounds on my old denon receiver. thanks for the info.

Woochifer
06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I think your right about the 480i , because if i go to a component input which i think puts out 480i it will let me turn the 3;2 pull down on. Still can't get over how good dts blu-ray sounds on my old denon receiver. thanks for the info.

480i playback is when the external video decoders matter the most. On my setup, I will output a 480i signal from my HD-DVR with SD sources. In that case, my TV does a much better job at the 3:2 pulldown and other video processing than the HD-DVR does. With Blu-ray, it's the opposite -- I let the PS3 handle the 3:2 pulldown.

One of the great things about Blu-ray is that it allows everybody to hear what DTS is truly capable of, since the output is no longer limited to the half-bitrate 763k version that most DVDs used. Those few 1.5k DTS tracks that got released on DVD sound every bit as good, but not too many of them got out.

And don't forget that even the Dolby Digital tracks used on Blu-ray discs use a higher 640k bitrate that sounds noticeably more coherent than the 448k/384k tracks used on DVDs.