DVD/VHS Combo? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD/VHS Combo?

magpie
03-20-2004, 11:10 AM
I am thinking of getting a combo unit . I am looking at the JVC line because the TV it will be hooked-up to also a JVC. Hopefully 1 less remote to use. The models are:

HR-XVC-20
HR-XVC-30
HR-XVC-33
Should it have the progressive scan even thought it will not be used with a theater system. Which model would be best for the buck.

Thanks for any advice.
magpie

uncooked
03-20-2004, 11:50 AM
if your tv is not HD then there is no point for a progressive unless you plan to upgrade to a hdtv eventually. you might as well get a progressive scan if its around the same price as the others.

the jvc has good picture on it, i know some people with them, i would say pick up a mid ranged one. better then the cheapies to help your tv glow, but nothing over the top that you dont need.

magpie
03-20-2004, 12:37 PM
if your tv is not HD then there is no point for a progressive unless you plan to upgrade to a hdtv eventually. you might as well get a progressive scan if its around the same price as the others.

the jvc has good picture on it, i know some people with them, i would say pick up a mid ranged one. better then the cheapies to help your tv glow, but nothing over the top that you dont need.
Thanks uncooked! I just need a decent combo so I can watch since my daughters have taken over the HT system. They don't like my taste of Movies! The TV is a 20"JVC I`Art

magpie

uncooked
03-20-2004, 07:07 PM
actually if you have another dedicated home theatre, there is no point to spend alot of money on a dvd/vhs player for a 20" tv. get a cheap brand and i bet it would look just as good as a expensive one. you dont need really high quality stuff for a 20" they look good with almost anything becuase they dont have to stretch the image near as big.

magpie
03-21-2004, 08:55 AM
actually if you have another dedicated home theatre, there is no point to spend alot of money on a dvd/vhs player for a 20" tv. get a cheap brand and i bet it would look just as good as a expensive one. you dont need really high quality stuff for a 20" they look good with almost anything becuase they dont have to stretch the image near as big.

Thanks
again uncooked! Is that aldenta!

woodman
03-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Thanks
again uncooked! Is that aldenta!

Please - listen to someone with actual working experience on this stuff ... do NOT buy any "combo" product. They are inclined to be a problem of one sort or another. Buy nothing but separate source components and TV sets. When products get combined, compromises and shortcuts are made that are most definitely not in YOUR best interests.

Hope this helps you avoid a mistake

markw
03-21-2004, 05:57 PM
While it might initially seem to be an economical, space saving move, this can easily turn around on you. There's nothing more fruatrating than having a two in one unit where one stops working. ...and it will.

Now, do you scrap a perfectly good DVD player (or vcr, whichever still works) and buy a brand new two in one, or do you simply go and buy a stand alone unit to replace whichever part died. ...result - two boxes anyway.

Studio B
03-21-2004, 07:39 PM
I am thinking of getting a combo unit . I am looking at the JVC line because the TV it will be hooked-up to also a JVC. Hopefully 1 less remote to use. The models are:

HR-XVC-20
HR-XVC-30
HR-XVC-33
Should it have the progressive scan even thought it will not be used with a theater system. Which model would be best for the buck.

Thanks for any advice.
magpie

Magpie,
The thing is how long do you plan on watching VHS tapes? I bought the same thing awhile back and now don't even use the VHS side. If you want to stay within a budget, DVD players are going for less than $100 and many remotes now control two or more devices.

uncooked
03-21-2004, 08:07 PM
GUYS he's using it on a 20" tv. i dont really think that if they cut corners it will matter. yea i wouldnt recommend it for someone with full surround and a 32 + inch screen. but all this guy wants to do is have a little unit so he can watch his videos on, both vhs and dvd's and for the comment on how long will you watch vhs's. maybe he wont watch a ton of movies on the vhs side, but he might have family videos etc... like most people do, and it is quite costly to burn them onto dvd. thoughs units are $ 300 +

i think you guys are to used to anwsering peoples questions having to do with surround and larger screens. for what magpie is trying to do it is FINE.

and mark if one side dies thats what a warranty is for. I find it very hard to believe that a company would put a product onto the market that breaks all the time. the last thing they want to do is fixing all the warranty re-turns. they have to have some level of quality.

It is ideal to have 2 seperate components to do the job in the most efficient manor but for a little 20" screen COME ON GUYS!

markw
03-22-2004, 03:07 AM
How long are warrenties on these items? One year if you're lucky?

In any event, it's a given that at some point one of the two functionalities is gonna crap out. To maintain that functionality wil simply require a separate box.

And, One of the Murphy's Law states that the most important function will cease before the lesser function, which will go on forever.

magpie
03-22-2004, 06:18 AM
Thanks Audiophiles!!!

Yes, I also believe in separate units. But the combo is going to be used in the bedroom or should I say my "Castle"!

I want to have the VCR to tape NASCAR and GOLF. You see I am the only male in the family. Hence the "major" differences in what "they" watch and what I watch.

uncooked
03-22-2004, 03:23 PM
lol exactly the same here. thats why i made my own little system in my bedroom.

thats exactly what i tape as well :0, i tape powerblock tv every saturday and tape indy whenever its on. then i get to attached to them and cant copy over the tape. i go through alot of money just for tapes for my dam shows.

i bet in the long run i would save money if i would just buy a hard drive recorder, like the 40gig one the have now. its just alot of money to throw down all at once.