HDMI cable? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI cable?

madmax123
05-23-2009, 07:51 AM
I run a ps3 to my plasma with a cheap hdmi cable i bought off internet. Is this good or should i be using something better? The other day I was moving the ps3 alittle while watching a movie and the hdmi cable must have moved alittle and a loud noise came out of the tv? Otherwise picture is good and no problems besides the noise the one time. What hdmi cables are good??

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

blackraven
05-23-2009, 11:34 AM
The HDMI cables at www.bluejeanscable.com are excellent and affordable.

Kevio
05-23-2009, 12:17 PM
HDMI is a digital signal and, to a first approximation, a digital signal is either received correctly or it is messed up. In the analog world there's more opportunity for more subtle signal depredation.

That pop you heard was probably on of the conductors on the connector losing contact momentarily as you flexed it in the move. As long as things are good now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mr Peabody
05-23-2009, 08:00 PM
With as much money invested in the purchase of a TV like that and a PS3 it is certainly worth trying a better cable to see if there would be any difference. I don't know if Blue Jeans offers a return within a certain time if not happy but many places do. I personally found that upgrading my HDMI cable did help my system. The main difference I noticed was in the audio. I believe there was an improvement in video because background detail was easier to see. I was having some real buyers remorse after purchasing my AV8003 based on the raving reviews. I was not having that experience. I bought a $40.00 HDMI cable that stated on the package 1.3 compliant etc. After trying a variety of things I finally borrowed a Tributaries HDMI cable and after making the switch the performance of my system was more than satisfactory. Some here will post derogatory remarks to my post and experience but it doesn't change what I know to be true. You do not have to believe it either but you have nothing to lose and everything to gain just by trying for yourself. It wasn't imagination, trust me when I say my imagination would have kicked in on one of the other things I tried before I spent money :) No one in there right mind wants to spend more than they have to.

madmax123
05-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Which Tributaries hdmi cable do you have, and which one would you go with for my system?

Mr Peabody
05-23-2009, 09:08 PM
I ended up with the 7DH but that's because it was the model in stock and the one I brought home to try. I was so happy that my preamp was doing it's thing I wasn't going to bother having them order a cheaper one at that point. The 3DH would be fine I think but I've never compared between the levels.

http://www.tributariescable.com/products/hdmi/hdmicable.cfm

My point was just to try something better to see what you thought. I have tried the Blue Jeans RCA cables and feel they make a great product for the money. Whatever, you try though just make sure you can return it if you feel there is no improvement.

With HDMI you want to make sure the connectors fit in snuggly. Being a pin type connector it doesn't take much pull to cause a problem.

madmax123
05-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Very true kinda wish it snapped kinda like the optical cable. I will see about trying one of those cables. Thanks for the reply!

Ed_in_Tx
05-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I use GE cables from Big Lots, and couple I ordered online like a Sony cable I bought for $8, as said they either pass the signals or they don't. So far my bargain HDMI cables all work fine. However if you want to be able to move the unit the HDMI cable is connected to, there are some new ones showing up that have LOCKING HDMI plugs. They are held in place with a clip you release by pressing with your finger. How I think all HDMI connectors should have been made from the get-go

Woochifer
05-25-2009, 12:48 AM
I use GE cables from Big Lots, and couple I ordered online like a Sony cable I bought for $8, as said they either pass the signals or they don't. So far my bargain HDMI cables all work fine. However if you want to be able to move the unit the HDMI cable is connected to, there are some new ones showing up that have LOCKING HDMI plugs. They are held in place with a clip you release by pressing with your finger. How I think all HDMI connectors should have been made from the get-go

The connector design for HDMI is awful, but with the widespread adoption of HDMI, we're stuck with it. The HDMI cable prices border on criminal. I bought a generic OEM packaged HDMI cable at Fry's for $8, and I had to look hard for that. The store had retail packaged HDMI cables much more prominently displayed, and those cables started at $20.

FWIW, I have gotten a couple of video dropouts using that generic cable that I did not get from the HDMI cables that I got from Blue Jeans Cable and Oppo.