What speakers/system should i get (Noob Question) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What speakers/system should i get (Noob Question)

Echoplex
05-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a system that I can use for gaming and DVD on my PS3, and connecting to my PC as that is where all my music is.

I have about £300 to spend and am not really sure what set up or system is the best? I tend to listen to music more than anything specifically metal, rock and some drum n bass, I do like it to be loud as well.

Anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the Logitech z5500 setup, is there anything better out there?

02audionoob
05-22-2009, 04:42 AM
Check out the little M-Audio monitors. I've not been impressed with the Logitech systems listening to them at the big box stores. That's not a good environment to listen in, but still, they just don't have clean, musical sound quality to me.

Another option is to use a stereo system. I run my computer audio into an AudioSource AMP 100. It's running passive speakers. This method opens up the possibilities to traditional audio equipment...far more options than active power speakers.

audio amateur
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't think Mr. Echoplex is looking for musicality. The z5500 is a fine system for your intended use.

02audionoob
05-22-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't think Mr. Echoplex is looking for musicality. The z5500 is a fine system for your intended use.

Huh? The OP said, "I tend to listen to music more than anything"

audio amateur
05-22-2009, 05:24 PM
I must have skipped that part but the reasoning remains the same, he wants quantity over quality and the z5500 does that just fine, especially for the price. If he only wants a stereo configuration, then perhaps a z5500 wouldn't be such a great choice.

02audionoob
05-22-2009, 05:52 PM
If by saying "I do like it to be loud as well" you have determined that volume is the top priority, that's fine. I'll accept your judgment. But really...with any kind of music, those Logitech setups are grossly overrated. Just muddy loudness...not much more.

audio amateur
05-22-2009, 05:57 PM
If by saying "I do like it to be loud as well" you have determined that volume is the top priority, that's fine. I'll accept your judgment. But really...with any kind of music, those Logitech setups are grossly overrated. Just muddy loudness...not much more.
One of my good friends has owned a z5500 for a few years now, so I've had some experience with it. if you're looking for 5.1 setup, at this price, you won't get much better. It does a great job in HT/gaming, and music will sound half decent if you set it up correctly. I think the key is integrating the subwoofer.
Your experience may be different, so I am not going to hate you for making different propositions.

LeRoy
06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
A couple of months ago I purchased a Mirage 5.0 Nanosat speaker system for $249.99 and free shipping from Vanns.com. As far as I know they are still selling this package at that price. Add a sub whenever you are ready if you need one. Vanns was also selling the Nanosat's at $49.99 each of you only wanted to buy outside of the package deal. I use the Nanosats hooked up to my Arcam AVR 200 and RBH 10" Sub.