What are Transducers and are they any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are Transducers and are they any good?

angelgz
05-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Guys,

I saw some odd-looking, ribbon like things when I was shopping for a mid range speaker on eBay. I learned they are called "transducers" which behave just like a speaker, I suppose?

Could anyone explain to be what exactly are these and are they any good to be used as an add-on to my existing DIY speaker?

The one I saw has a frequency response of 150hz -18,500hz

bfalls
05-20-2009, 08:28 AM
A transducer, in this context, is simply a driver/speaker. A transducer in general is something which converts one type of energy to another. For a speaker it's changing electrical energy (signal) into mechanical energy (moving the speaker cone, ribbon, panel).

The ribbon you mention has the range to be used as a tweeter. It has enough range you could use it in any system including a 2-way since it goes low enough. Ribbons are reported to have more "air" in the top end. I would probably rate them between metal-dome and electrostatic/planar panels for transparency and detail, but that's subject to opinion. They tend to be more expensive than domes.

angelgz
05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
A transducer, in this context, is simply a driver/speaker. A transducer in general is something which converts one type of energy to another. For a speaker it's changing electrical energy (signal) into mechanical energy (moving the speaker cone, ribbon, panel).

The ribbon you mention has the range to be used as a tweeter. It has enough range you could use it in any system including a 2-way since it goes low enough. Ribbons are reported to have more "air" in the top end. I would probably rate them between metal-dome and electrostatic/planar panels for transparency and detail, but that's subject to opinion. They tend to be more expensive than domes.

Thanks!!

E-Stat
05-22-2009, 11:56 AM
I learned they are called "transducers" which behave just like a speaker, I suppose?
Just for reference, microphones and phono cartridges are also transducers.

rw

O'Shag
06-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Then there are also transjuicers, which are fruit/veg juicing machines for cross-dressers.

GMichael
06-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Then there are also transjuicers, which are fruit/veg juicing machines for cross-dressers.
So, I can't get a fresh OJ unless I put on my wife's panties?:eek6:

markw
06-09-2009, 07:34 AM
So, I can't get a fresh OJ unless I put on my wife's panties?:eek6:If they're too tight it will most certainly squeeze your grapes and then we'll be talking transgender here!

O'Shag
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Its long well-known to industry insiders that there are some audio do-it-yourselfers in West Hollywood CA who prefer to use trannies rather than vagistors. And its little surprise that the transjuicer has sold extremely well in this demographic.